Thread: Lost Aircraft of Alaska.

Default Lost Aircraft of Alaska.

I know of a few, but am sure some of you other folks will know about a few of the less well known missing planes.
    Ones that I can think of....

A four-engine Soviet-made Bolkhovitinov somewhere off of Barrow in 1937

Air Force C-54D Skymaster somewhere along the Alaska-Yukon border in 1950

A four-engined DC-4 somewhere near Yakutat Ak 1951

Boeing RC-135E (USAF Tail No. #62-4137) reconnaissance aircraft 30min out of Shemya in 1969

Cessna 310C with Senator Nick Begich on board after leaving Anchorage in 1972

A Socata Rallye 235GT, registered as N302RA just north of Kodiak Island in 1979

A Beach Bonanza (I think) that disappeared between Palmer AK and White Horse 2009

The missing Beaver this year near Katmai
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

maybe this is one..

or just someones hunting spot...

Attachment 39360

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Hi FloatPilot,

Hope you don't see me as just another pain in your neck . . . . .

Nick Begich was aboard the same C-310 as was Hale Boggs, Congressman from Louisiana. They had departed Yakutat en route to Anchorage when the twin disappeared. No sign of it whatsoever, over the years.

How 'bout the young pilot by the name of Yeager? Left Anchorage flying his C-172 (back in the days before Cessna swept the tails aft) toward Northway. Ran into some really scabby weather and decided to cliimb up to fly over-the-top. It was figured that he didn't consider serious crosswinds and, as far as anyone can prove, he hasn't landed yet.

I think it was in 1952 or so when Gaydog Yellow Leader, an F-94 Starfighter, left Elmendorf as leader of a flight of two. Just after wheels up, he reported that he had lost full electrical. CAA came up and asked the pilot to switch to Charlie Channel. The pilot acknowledged that, but never came up on the new frequency. Gaydog Two couldn't raise him either, and neither the pilot nor the aircraft has ever been found. And that flight was less than 500-ft in the air after an Elmendorf departure, just entering his departure turn for a routine CAP (Combat Air Patrol) flight.

And the B-29 which was lost while on a one-mile final to EADF back (I think) in 1949. Ward Gay spotted the big red tail poking above one of those real "clam tides" and got the numbers. The USAF was able to identify the A/C as one that had been missing between Pt. McKenzie and the city for around 50-years.

It's a big, empty country, isn't it . . . . .

We forgot Russ Merrill in 1929, after leaving Anchorage. While a possible fabric piece from his plane was found, nothing was ever determined for certain.

And

16 November 1954

An Alaska Air National Guard T-33A on a training flight over the Point MacKenzie / Goose Bay area, west of Anchorage, checked in with ground controllers then simply vanished. Neither the plane nor its occupants, Lt. Roger Pendleton and Capt. Lionel Tietze, were ever seen or heard from again.

Less than a half-hour later, a training flight of three F-80s led by 1st Lt. Albert Kulis passed in formation over the Goose Bay area, on the west side of Knik Arm. Lt. Kulisí wing man watched as Kulis' fighter went into a steep, diving turn and vanished into a cloudbank. Two weeks later, wreckage belonging to Kulisí jet was supposedly spotted in the mud at Goose Bay, but the fighter sank before it could be recovered.

Kulis Air Guard Base was named after him.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The 310 was in route from ANC to JUN; with Boggs, Begich, Brown and Pilot Don Jonz.
    Tim