Thread: Shoot-Throughs on Game

Default Shoot-Throughs on Game

I was watching someone's caribou video today, you know, the ones where they film from over the shoulder of the shooter so you can see the shot? Anyway in this video everything looked good, but the bull was moving. The shooter tracked it with the barrel until it turned broadside and stopped. Then BOOM! The animal was hit, and BOOM! A second shot put it down. As it fell, I could see a second animal standing at a distance behind the first one, and I thought, gee... what if the bullet passed between the ribs, exited the first animal and hit the other one? It could have been the camera angle, and perhaps the other animal was not centered behind the first one. But I thought I'd drop a reminder in here to be careful to avoid shots where a second animal is standing behind the one you're shooting. It's easy to get fixated on the animal you're shooting, to the point where your tunnel vision does not see the other critter standing there. This is particularly problematic with herd animals like caribou.

Just a thought.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

That is a VERY important with hunting herding animals.

Thats why we shoot then in the head when they swim in the river with .22lr, during our fall hunts for Bulls. No wounded, no ricochets, no double "Tuppit" on an undesirable animal.
    We also stop in full view of Muskox to allow them to "Fan out" from their tight bunches. Sometimes it takes 1/2 an hour for them to "loosen up"

Ive seen plenty of shoot throughs, anyway, 'specially with large caliber magnums, though its a problem with any 30-06 class rifle like my 7.62X54r.....right on through, anywhere on a Caribou' body.

Good Topic Mike.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Very good reminder sir!

I thought I saw that on a black bear video posted in the video section hear this year also.

I love blueberries, and I hate people who unnecessarily shoot plant life. I was horrified to learn that I killed a blueberry bush with this pass-through:
    AK17.jpg

Moral of the story is to be careful and not reckless, and make sure you don't hit anything important on the other side. I'm still mouring those dead blueberries.

yeah that black bear video was mine....and believe me i was sweating bullets until i seen the pecker on the second bear.....it was a younger bear and had a smaller one with it.....i would have bet money it was a sow
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Good post Mike...
    A friend of mine killed a carribou and a second with a pass through last year. Luckily he had tags for both and it was a legal animal. He never saw the second bou through 1/2 hour of stalking and working to within gun range.

Leads me to think of an interesting question... On herd animals like 'bou, is there some value to using a rapidly expanding bullet like a Ballistic Tip? I don't hear reports of 'bou being unduly hard to take down and it seems that all this controlled expansion and high velocity might actually be counterproductive in this case. I've killed a pile of deer with relatively fast expanding bullets and seldom an exit wound. Seems like something interesting to think about.

I just hear and see video of bou that aren't necessarily hard to kill, they just have an impressive reserve of adrenaline that they will use up, getting them a ways from the shot location. They all seem to die from the shot though.

Remember the Brenda Valentine cow moose violation near Tok a couple of years ago? Her shot on the bull passed through and took out a cow behind him. The lady guide took the fall for that and paid the fine. Should be a few posts on here about it.

This was a topic that my dad drilled into me when I was little and starting to deer hunt - Always be sure about what is behind your quarry.

Good reminder, I have a good friend that is super ethical - yet about 15 yrs ago killed 2 does with 1 arrow by accident. Just as Mike said, he was so focussed on making the shot he did not see the second deer. He never even knew he hit it until he drove out into the field to retrieve it and saw 2 laying about 30 yards apart - luckily he had 2 tags but he had to use his either sex tag so he was done buck hunting for the season!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Many years ago while hunting whitetails I did the same with a large buck and a spike horn, fortunately I had tags for both. This with a 30-30 from 70 paces.
    Paul

I can top that, last year I hit a bull moose twice with one shot! Figure that out .
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I can top that, last year I hit a bull moose twice with one shot! Figure that out .
    It was wounded earlier by a different shooter and you killed it .

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Quartering sharply away with his head down to feed when you shot him? Bullet went in behind one shoulder, out in front of the opposite shoulder, and hit him in the head/neck?

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    It was wounded earlier by a different shooter and you killed it .
    Good guess! That actually happened to two other guys in my party. Here's the story:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Bullets/page2

What happened with my bull was he was down from a lung shot and trying to get up, so I walked up on him and put one in his throat. Went through and hit his hock. He wa'nt gettin' up from that
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg