Thread: how long can I hang a black bear, quartered, in 30 to 60 degrees...

Default how long can I hang a black bear, quartered, in 30 to 60 degrees...

ok, can you quarter a black bear and hang it like a moose for very long? I have an elderly native lady that is a friend of mine hanging a black bear in her smoke house with just a smidging of smoke going.....I'm going ot grind mine, when I get it this week!, into sausage mixed with moose meat.....

is this ok? I keep hearing about how bad bear meat can be if it gets warm, not cooked, etc....

I can hang it on my back porch, total shade all day, and it stays 10 degrees colder than outside...so, it does not get over 50 to 55.....then down to 30 right now, probably low 20's after this weekend....and for how long?
    Scotty in the AK bush

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hanging bear meat in 60 degree weather for a week is a bad idea.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

untill it cools way down process it asap
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Did mine for 24 hours. About the limit outdoors and not in a cooler. My meat is sweet, tender and delicious!! most all steaks and roasts-with very little grind.
    Rich
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hanging bear meat in 60 degree weather for a week is a bad idea.
    Hanging any meat that long in 60 degrees is a bad idea
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine