Thread: Need help!!!!!!!!

Default Need help!!!!!!!!

OK,

Do I get a new Remington 700 LVSF in .204 or a REMMY AR-15 in .204?! I don't have anything in 204. Can't decide, will use either for fur, but can't decide. Also thinking very hard about getting a .17 Rem in either bolt or AR. I have the AR DISEASE!! AHHHHH, help me plllleeeeaaaasssseeeeeeeeeeeeee...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

17s go off on fur not much penetration...been there done that. The 204 was pretty much the same way when they first came out but now that they are building some better bullets for them I wish I had kept my 700LVSF.

I spent most of a winter putting bad owies on coyotes with that 204 and they were getting away. The guy I sold it to is loading some heavier bullets that weren't available when the gun was mine. He made several one shot kills with it last winter.

Yhea,
    I've had my 22-250 for 25 years and it just puts the smack down on em. I love it, but haven't had a new caliber in a long time other than my RRA AR in 223. Still breaking that in and haven't done any load development for it yet. I have a load for the 22-250 that shoots the same POI with 52gr Speer HP and 55gr Spitzers. Little tiny 3/8" 5 shot groups. I just have the bug to get a new rifle. My better half doesn't see the need, IMAGINE THAT! So of course I told her it was for her, she didn't buy it, but that's ok. I have been using that one on her for 30 years, hmmmm. I think I will get it...Cause I RULE MY CASTLER MISTER!...
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Bolt actions are dead nuts accurate, but reloading for the next shot can take a few seconds. The AR platform is accurate as well, it just depends on the person behind it when it comes down to accuracy really. No need to concentrate on reloading the next round because your rifle does it automatically, just aim at the next furbearer and squeeze off another round. Yes, those AR's are way fun and comfortable to hold and shoot! If it were me I'd go AR... I think my son's Bushmaster might need a new topend in .204.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I have a .204 Ruger in a Contender G2 barrel and just love it. Super flat shooting and accurate, just have to watch the wind on those long shots. If you're into reloading it's really cheap to reload, not really any more than a .223. As far as the rifle choice that's personal but I can tell you that I spent 5 yrs as a grunt up @ Wainwright in Fairbanks and have much experience firing an M-16 in all types of weather and they were notoriously undependable in really cold weather. It didn't matter what we tried to keep them running no luck. Much of that was with blank ammo in training so that could account for some of it due to a lower powder charge no being enough to cycle the bolt consistently, but much of it was also with live ammo ( I'm talking tens of thousands of rounds ). The Rem 700 will never experience that but then again I bought a new 700 Stainless Mtn. and took it on a fly in on the peninsula for Caribou only to have the bolt handle come off in my hand while trying to eject an empty. The .204 is a great choice no matter what it's in. Good Luck

I hear ya. I have my guns tefloned and it eliminates the need for oils and lubrication because the teflon is self-lubricating. I have always had 700s, just cause that's what I grew up on. Love Remington. I've pretty much decided on a White Oak 204 upper, BUT, now I'm thinking about buying a barrel I want and building it myself. This Black Rifle disease is a PITA!!! I got the old "Why do you need another one..." from my wife. Like the professional BSr I am I said "Well SWEETHEART, this one is going to have and adjustable stock on it so you can shoot it, there is virtually no recoil, so I was thinking this would be a great rifle for you if you wanted to shoot some coyotes..." She said "YHEA RIGHT, they all have adjustable stocks on them but one...". I tried. I would love to get a D-Tech but I'm not waiting a year. There is a lot of very nice stuff out there, just depends on what you want and how much you wanna spend. Man, decisions, decisions...
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Does anyone know what the differences are between teflon, Cerakote, and all the other options out there?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Does anyone know what the differences are between teflon, Cerakote, and all the other options out there?
    Too many options to list them all, but here are a couple of links to get the juices flowing--Robar is the leader, regardless the finish, IMO. Finishes are similar to optics in that you most often get what you pay for, though there are better and lesser values available.

Robar
    Duracoat
    Gun Kote
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

If you search my past posts, you'll see I'm a huge fan of Black Ice Coatings (Teflon). I have several guns done by Lee and can't say enough about it. Always a standing offer if you want to look, just let me know. I don't have any experience with the other products.
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Thanks for the info 1Cor and Stanly.