Thread: Looking for idea for labeling my shrimp pots

Default Looking for idea for labeling my shrimp pots

I have been trying to figure out a good way to label my shrimp pots (the pots, not the buoys) in a manner that would last indefinately if they got lost. One idea would be to hot stamp my name and number on a zip tie and attach them to the pots, but I cannot find anyone that can do this in low quantities (I want 100 or less, but they like to sell them by the 1000's). Does anyone have a good way to do this? I see where you can get zip ties with writable label areas, but I assume even pernanent marker will wear off in the salt pretty quickly.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Cut a piece of plastic out of the side of a jug and use a metal engraver to write whatever you want on it then zip tie it to the pot.

This is easy and you can make them as big or small as you want. Just punch a zip tie size hole in it to run the tie through (maybe on two sides so it won't flop around).

You can get one of those vibrating metal engraving tools at AIH relatively cheap. Once you are done with the pots, engrave the last 4 digits of your SSN (or some other identifying marks) on all your hand tools as well! I did it to all mine, it makes it hard for your buddies to say they don't have any of your tools!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud,
    thanks for 2 great ideas!

Copper or brass trap tags. http://www.traptags.com 50 copper tags is $10 and 50 brass tags is $10.50 100copper tags is $19 and brass is $20
    3 Lines 19 spaces per line machined stamped. Free shipping (Yes even to Alaska).
    I have used this company twice and they were great both times. The tags are also flexible so you can wrap them around the bars of your pots or use the hole on the end to fasten them with hog rings or wire.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

What about engraving your info on a pad lock and securing it around the metal frame. People have no problem taking your zip ties off and claiming them as theirs. Not so with a padlock. Not many people carry bolt cutters on the water!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    What about engraving your info on a pad lock and securing it around the metal frame. People have no problem taking your zip ties off and claiming them as theirs. Not so with a padlock. Not many people carry bolt cutters on the water!!!
    A padlock would be a rusted mess within days. A stainless or plastic name plate secured with stainless rivets and washers would work better.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Kasilofchrisn got me looking in a better direction. I like his idea, but I don't think that they will hold up in the salt. Here is what I am currently looking at:

http://www.plaquemaker.com

Where they have stainless steel nameplates that they will engrave.

I agree with Dave about a padlock rusting. That may be a plus, since it will never come off once it is put on without bolt cutters, but I am more looking for something that would help the good samaritan to return my pots rather than to catch a pot theif. I wish I had stainless labels on the few that I have lost to date. You never know when someone will pull them up with their anchor or pots.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Copper or brass trap tags. The tags are also flexible so you can wrap them around the bars of your pots or use the hole on the end to fasten them with hog rings or wire.
    you took the words right out of my mouth. Very good idea.

And if your looking for something cheaper, you can get those cheap, while you wait, dog tags made in about any store.

Re - using a padlock...

You guys are forgetting that the pot itself could easily be cut with side cutters or a hacksaw blade in a matter of seconds.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

After listening to a number of your suggestions, I believe I have the best approach. This has worked well for me and Steve has sure been cooperative in helping me too.

I just build new pots every year and my pots are always one of a kind, unique in many ways and very easy to distinguish from the run of the mill stuff. I can got back to years past and show you pictures of each of them.

Law enforcement likes pictures, especially when they detail uniqueness! Boy I bet they'd really like it all 500 of us got in the groove!
    Mike

I'm kind of liking the aluminum dog tag out of the machine and and attaching them with pop-rivets or SS safety wire.

It'll be impossible to make any tag that isnt removable - a sawsall trumps everything.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    A stainless or plastic name plate secured with stainless rivets and washers would work better.
    Yeah we could adopt the Murkowski method. Leave your name tag blank and anyone who pulls the pot could just write their name on it, even if we're not legit! That would save us a ton of time looking for our own pots!
    Last edited by fullbush; 09-26-2010 at 12:01. Reason: i'm pretty sure thats a lame one

Dog Tag, is there not machines where you can make your own Dog Tag for a $1
    Me I stamp my mane in Stainless Steel Tie wraps and wrap them around a bar. If ever see them up for sale I have the trooper unwrap the tie and bingo there is my name.
    Panduit makes these , electrical supply house sells.

Has anyone done the dog tag idea? Do they corrode? I am not worried about someone removing them, but just that they stay legible for years of going in and out of the salt. If someone has does this, and can recommend a place in Anchorage to get them made, that would be appreciated. Alaskapiranha, can you explain your idea further? I don't follow you. You stamp stainless steel tie wraps? Do you need a special tool for this?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Has anyone done the dog tag idea? Do they corrode? I am not worried about someone removing them, but just that they stay legible for years of going in and out of the salt. If someone has does this, and can recommend a place in Anchorage to get them made, that would be appreciated. Alaskapiranha, can you explain your idea further? I don't follow you. You stamp stainless steel tie wraps? Do you need a special tool for this?
    Just about all the pet stores carry plastic dog tags with easy engraving. I think the plastic will hold for the life of the pot. Steve the pot builder puts them on his pots (advertising) with engraved plastic name plates and they hold up well.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Just about all the pet stores carry plastic dog tags with easy engraving. I think the plastic will hold for the life of the pot. Steve the pot builder puts them on his pots (advertising) with engraved plastic name plates and they hold up well.
    I started clipping on the tags on the pots because they can be engraved(scribed in with a ice pick or awl) with any info the owner of the pot wants to put on them like their name, boat name, boat reg #'s etc. Oh yeah i like folks to know where the pots came from also. Maybe i should start selling "tag kits" so folks could engrave their own info on the tags ????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.rhinolabeling.com/Embosse..._Features.shtm

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.rhinolabeling.com/Embossers_1011_Features.shtm
    Seems a bit spendy though at least to me anyway. I do like the idea of the dog tags for what the OP is looking for. I think the brass trap tags wrapped around the bar of my pots should last many years but those are more of a way to mark my pots more secretly for the possible pot thieves out there.
    Maybe tyrex13 has a cheaper source for this machine? I guess if you could find someone who has one at work or whatnot maybe they would make you 8 or so of these for a small fee?

Stainless Steel Embossing Tool, Length 5 1/2 In, Width 2 1/8 In, Height 1 7/8 In, For Use With 2LNW4
    Grainger Item #2LNW3 Price (ea.)$1,160.00BrandBAND-IT Mfr. Model #GRD400 Ship Qty. 1 Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1 Ship Weight (lbs.)4.91 Usually Ships** 1-3 Days Catalog Page No.3502 Country of Origin
    (Country of Origin is subject to change.)China
    Enlarge Image

Qty.

Price shown may not reflect your price.

• <LI class=copyHeading>Identification Characters and Tags <LI class=copyData>For permanent identification of cable bundles, hose assemblies, and other items.
    • Suitable for corrosive environments. Characters accommodate letter carriers, bands, or ties up to 3/8" wide. Letters, numbers, and special characters come in pkg. of 25.

• <LI class=copyHeading>Embossing Tool and Tape
    • Make custom stainless steel I.D. tags that can be attached with ball lock ties, sold on page 3500.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Just find a guy with a MIG welder and write your name in steel. Weld a small rectangle of heavy sheet into the pot frame and use the MIG to weld your ID info directly on it. This can be done on steel, stainless, or aluminum quite easily. I'd suggest that the name plate is attached in such a way that it becomes part of the frame. For example, cut out an upper structural member and weld the nameplate into that spot as a replacement.

Anything that is tied, ringed, or riveted on can be removed in seconds with basic hand tools. A structural plate welded into the frame of the pot doesn't come off without cutting the pot's frame apart.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

OK, I am done with this project for now. I went with the dog tags, engraved at petco. The downside is the machine is really show. The other side is that they were $7 each. Barely worth it from the insurance standpoint, since if I lose the pots they are only like $80 each new, and the chance is remote that I will get them back. I guess it is a bit of a message in a bottle concept when I lose my next pot that there will be a chance that I will get it back someday.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We will see how they wear in the salt water.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded