Thread: Whittier parking lot just keeps getting worse. We should band together and buy it!

Default Whittier parking lot just keeps getting worse. We should band together and buy it!

Just kidding, but man I'm tired of that d@mn potholed mess they call a parking lot. Its getting downright hazardous to tow your boat past the little bridge. The guy who owns it isnt doing anything to maintain it.

All it needs is a bit of work with a bulldozer and a grader and it'd be reasonable.

Grumble, grumble, grumble, weekend I hit a pothole so deep I actually stopped and got out to look at the boat trailer axle to see if I'd snapped it.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

I know it is hard to believe, but they did run a blade over it this summer. I actually saw them do it twice. With all the rain we received this summer, it washes out very fast. It sure would be great if it were paved. One can always dream.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Paving would be nice, then everyone could complain about the cost going through the roof.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Paving would be nice, then everyone could complain about the cost going through the roof.
    Going? How about gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Going? How about gone?
    $500 for a season parking pass is not that bad. I would gladly pay more if the parking lot were paved.

Default Homer, Seward, Whittier

I try to spend equal time at the other ports, not just Whittier every trip. Whittier drives me nuts and going back every trip would nix boating for me. I like to get my shrimpin' and cove camping trips in and then move on to the other trips throughout the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    $500 for a season parking pass is not that bad. I would gladly pay more if the parking lot were paved.
    But how much more is it worth? I think the $500 is fair, but paved for $750 or more?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    But how much more is it worth? I think the $500 is fair, but paved for $750 or more?
    I would pay $750 for that.

How about forming a "pot holed parking lot owners association" and getting a petition going telling good old ben (czar of the parking lot) how we all feel about the holes in the lot. Maybe if enough of us complained he might get a idea something is wrong. What gets me is why they can zoom around the lot looking to get every nickel out of guys(gotta barrel you big offenders) but can't drive around with some gravel in the back of the truck and fill in some of the DEEPER holes. Lets go to the railroad, i think he leases the property from them, and find out when the lease is up and get to together and bid against him to get the property then set it up like Deska Landing. I'm in if anybody else is interested.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I would pay $750 for that.
    Don't give'em any ideas about raising the price we should be complaining its WAY TOO HIGH and it should be lowered for the sh**ty condition the property is in !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    How about forming a "pot holed parking lot owners association" and getting a petition going telling good old ben (czar of the parking lot) how we all feel about the holes in the lot. Maybe if enough of us complained he might get a idea something is wrong. What gets me is why they can zoom around the lot looking to get every nickel out of guys(gotta barrel you big offenders) but can't drive around with some gravel in the back of the truck and fill in some of the DEEPER holes. Lets go to the railroad, i think he leases the property from them, and find out when the lease is up and get to together and bid against him to get the property then set it up like Deska Landing. I'm in if anybody else is interested.
    Sounds interesting.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    We'll call ourselves the Parking Users Group or PUGs - All kidding aside though, I'd happily invest and toss in with a group looking to take ownership and maintain the parking to a decent level - not necessarily paved (though that would be nice) but at least reasonably flat and well laid out.

If there's land available, then how about a rival parking facility? I never see that so-called park next to the lot used by other than boat owners dogs looking to offload their latest meal in a reprocessed and condensed form.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Yeah well my truck has been smelling suspiciously of Juans cologne and if thats not bad enough, Gwynn has me bringing her in fish now

Default Wife injured in Whittier boat trailer parking lot

The Whittier boat trailer parking lot can be dangerous as well as rough. In the summer of 2009 my wife slipped and hit her head on a rook in the parking lot. Yes it was raining. I patched her up with our first aid kit, but because of the wound depth and the amount of blood loss we went to the municipal building first aid station. The paramedic patched her up some more, but said she needed to go to Anchorage ASAP. The Whittier Chief of Police got the ambulance out and stopped traffic in the tunnel so my wife could be rushed to Anchorage. I can’t say enough about the kindness that was shown to us by the paramedic and the Chief of Police at Whittier. My wife had three internal stiches, five external stiches and a black eye.
    The people running the parking lot just did not give a s**t about what happened. I got the names and addresses of manager and owner and thought about having my attorney write a letter, however that just is not my style. You utilize a facility at “your own risk”. However, the parking lot’s condition is outside the expected condition norms of what a reasonable person should keep. I don’t walk in the owner’s shoes: Is he bleeding it for everything its worth? Maybe he has a huge loan against it?
    We have excellent health insurance and our total out of pocket expense was less then $300. Not sure who paid for the ambulance ride.
    I am not an Alaskan resident so I try to tread lightly. We are just happy that Alaskan’s share their fishing with us non-residents.
    glfisherman
    Help keep discarded plastic from our waters.
    http://www.excel.net/~jokruege/plasticbags.ppt

Someone could go hijack some of the heavy equipment sitting idle at the abrupt end of the Shotgun Cove Road (the road to nowhere, I call it....). Everybody wins.

cheers.gif

Quote Originally Posted by glfisherman View Post
    The Whittier boat trailer parking lot can be dangerous as well as rough. In the summer of 2009 my wife slipped and hit her head on a rook in the parking lot. Yes it was raining. I patched her up with our first aid kit, but because of the wound depth and the amount of blood loss we went to the municipal building first aid station. The paramedic patched her up some more, but said she needed to go to Anchorage ASAP. The Whittier Chief of Police got the ambulance out and stopped traffic in the tunnel so my wife could be rushed to Anchorage. I can’t say enough about the kindness that was shown to us by the paramedic and the Chief of Police at Whittier. My wife had three internal stiches, five external stiches and a black eye.
    The people running the parking lot just did not give a s**t about what happened. I got the names and addresses of manager and owner and thought about having my attorney write a letter, however that just is not my style. You utilize a facility at “your own risk”. However, the parking lot’s condition is outside the expected condition norms of what a reasonable person should keep. I don’t walk in the owner’s shoes: Is he bleeding it for everything its worth? Maybe he has a huge loan against it?
    We have excellent health insurance and our total out of pocket expense was less then $300. Not sure who paid for the ambulance ride.
    I am not an Alaskan resident so I try to tread lightly. We are just happy that Alaskan’s share their fishing with us non-residents.
    You should give them at the lot some of their own attitude back and not give a s*it about sueing them, i bet a court would be on your side and at least make the owner pay for your medical bills plus pain & suffering.
    In my opinion YES he is bleeding it for all its worth.
    Who cares if he has a huge loan still doesn't excuse him from having it safe for the people that are paying GOOD MONEY to use the place.
    Maybe it isn't too late for a wake up call !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by glfisherman View Post
    I once took out one of their make shift signs w/ my trailer unknowingly. This guy got the cops and chained a barrel to my truck, I thought what in the world? I found him and he wouldn't remove the lock till I payed 300.00 for the cheesy sign that was shoved in the hub of an old wheel.
    What I'm trying to say is, these jokers wouldn't show any mercy, so why should you? I say sue the pants off em! I'm sorry about your wifes injuries...

" once took out one of their make shift signs w/ my trailer unknowingly. This guy got the cops and chained a barrel to my truck, I thought what in the world? I found him and he wouldn't remove the lock till I payed 300.00 for the cheesy sign that was shoved in the hub of an old wheel.
    What I'm trying to say is, these jokers wouldn't show any mercy, so why should you? I say sue the pants off em! I'm sorry about your wifes injuries..."

I dont think By law he can do that. He can try to come after you for the cost of the sign but to chain a barrel to your truck like that I believe would fall under possible vandalism if your truck had been damaged. I would have had the cops on him for chaining a barrel to your truck. I believe all he can do is get your licence plate number and call it in to the police if he really wanted to. Any MATURE adult would have come out there and confronted you before doing ANY thing though. Sounds to me like the guy needs to be a Boycott against the guy and his parking lot. When i go there I just fish off the coast I dont use a boat (to poor lol) but If I did I wouldnt use his Lot. If It came down to it I would launch the boat and then drive the truck and trailor around up over the hill to that little cove on the other side ( I forget what its called, where I usually fish Its been a few years since I have been able to go) and then have some one meet me over there with the boat.

And to the guy whos wife slipped and hit her head. If it was due to the parking lot being in such bad shape I would definitly go after the guy. Sounds to me like this guy needs a lesson in manors.

Default Seward

Just one of many reasons I don't go there any more!! Valdez yes, Seward yes, Whittier NO!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"