Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Lake Fishing Lately?

Default Fire Lake Fishing Lately?

Has anyone fished fire lake lately. Wondering if there are any rainbows or pike left to catch in there. thanks

I have not been ice fishing out on Fire Lake this year, but last year I did pertty good catching the rainbows. I still have yet to catch a pike in the winter time. If you walk half way down the lake theres a few weed beds on the right. These have produced very well for me. Also the inlet creek about 100 yards out from the mouth has produced some good rainbows for me.

Thumbs up Fire Lake

Thanks for the info, I am going to try it there tomorrow morning. have My holes drilled before it gets light out. Maybe I will get the big one. Do you know where I can buy herring in anchorage this time of year? I will report back tomorrow.

I know walmart and freddies sells herring during the summer, but I dont know about winter.

Default Fire Lake

I've been doing pretty good on rainbows. They have all been between 14 and 18 inches long. Been Fishing off the island in about 12 FOW. Last weekend I limited out in 2 hours. Today was super slow, one fish in 2 1/2 hours between the two of us. By the way, the EO for the 2 per/day and in possesion expired the end of the year. Fish and Game still has the signs posted but I have email confirmation from them saying that it is no longer in effect. You'll see the blood on the ice where we've been fishing if we do not get any more snow tonight. I am going to try Matanuska for dollies and salmon tomorrow.

Default fire lake part 2

Forgot to mention that the pike fishing has been real slow down there this year for me. Not a single flag this season? Too weird. I have not tried spearing there this year, but that might be the way to go? I have seen some holes where folks were spearing and there is no blood around them to indicate that any fish were took. I'd head out to the valley for pike.

Default Fire Lake

I decided to stay in town today and try Sand Lake again instead of driving to Fire Lake. I started fishing around 8:30 just off the big canal. My first fish was a 18" rainbow. No kidding, best rainbow I have seen come out of this lake. It was real fat and was in spawning colors. I didn't think they spawned until ice off. Moved out to deeper water and caught a couple dozen char by noon. Biggest was 16". Turned them all back to fight another day. The bite was definately on today there. Salmon eggs and crocodiles did the trick. Maybe I will hit Fire Lake tomorrow afternoon. Still haven't found Herring. I thought maybe B&J commercial.

That's weird frankco, I've noticed that too. Out of the dozen or so years I have been fishing out at fire lake for pike in only the past two years or so have I seen the pike population plumit. I do not take monsters out of this lake like I used too. But I have noticed the weed beeds have been non existant at about the same time the pike population fell. Coincidence? I think not.

Default Fire Lake

Is part of the population reduction the result of fish and game netting the lake? Just a thought.

I have seen F&G pull pike out of fire lake with their nets in the past and it never really put a damper on the population. But let me tell you, F&G sure produced some good sized pike out of fire lake by continously stocking the lake with rainbows.

I was talking to a friend about the fire lake pike population and he made a good point. The pike, obviously, dwell in the weed beds while waiting for prey. With all the float planes avgas is bound to make its way in the lake which kills the weed beds. So the pike will sit in deeper water and not in the open of the new dwindled weed beds. But that would not explain the lack of pike success in the winter in deeper water.

Maybe i have been pulling too many pike out of that lake for its own good.

Default Fire Lake

They have also reduced the stocking of the rainbows there dramtically. Not as much food for the pike to eat anymore. I think they will be increasing their stocking efforts this year. Hopefully there will be plenty of both in the future.

Default Herring.....

Hey fellas,

just thought I would throw out there that B&J has herring as mentioned, as does SW in the far back of the fishing section. Look for the fridge kitty-corner to the ice fishing gear and pick your poison. Salmonman, congrats on the beast 'bow from Sand Lake, defiently the biggest I have heard about this year!

Cheers

Jake

P.S. please only keep stocked rainbows out of there as there is a population of great wild fish, you can tell them apart by the stockers having rubbed off fins. I kinda doubt the wild populations ability to take much harvest with all the pike.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It's been awhile since I have seen an 18"+ bow come out of fire lake. I used to see them in the creek come break up and a few would be caught in the lake but this was back in my high school days. A guy I knew caught a 27 incher about 10 years ago. I do not keep fish out of this lake anymore, I might has well pour myself a nice tall class of diesel.

Did well in the spring on pike(15-24") over in the weed beds to the right half way accross the lake.Caught monster rainbows when I was a kid(1980) south of the island with my dad but it was a real chore to get out of the way of the plane's in a row boat!

It used to be Beach Lake was a remote fishery. Accessing Beach Lake required the use of a 4x4 along with the knowledge of how to get out of a deep mudhole. Anyone who fished it at ice out could expect to hook into BIG rainbows. Times have changed just like all the rest of the road accessible and close-to-Anchorage fisheries. You won't catch big ones there anymore, and Fire Lake, unlike Beach has had the added problem of Northern Pike. The good old days are long gone at these fisheries. Yeah, you might get a good fish now and then, but it's not something anyone can take to the bank. If it's on the road system, expect to catch the average stocker, and if you catch something larger, count your blessings and give the rest of us a break by releasing it. Leave the big ones and let others have the pleasure of catching a trophy now and then. Catch-N-Release - - - it's a good thing.

My personal wish is for more catch and release fisheries in the Anchorage area.

I've caught several 21" bows out of lower fire, and average about 17" for bows and once hooked something in the 24-30 inch class on a big spinner bait, it jumped so I knew it was a rainbow
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It jumped,,,maybe it was a Blackfish......................lol,,,,J/K

I hear you Sketch!I remenmber afew area's like Sunshine creek,Jim creek and upper Montana creek(Yoder road)that would take HOURS to get there....if you made it!Sure wish it was 1978 again!!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I've caught several 21" bows out of lower fire, and average about 17" for bows and once hooked something in the 24-30 inch class on a big spinner bait, it jumped so I knew it was a rainbow
    Got any pics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast