Thread: Flat Tire Repair

Default Flat Tire Repair

I was running in some extremely swampy and rough trail conditions last week moose hunting and I slammed my right rear tire bead off the rim in the bottom of a deep mud hole. I was able to raise the back of my Yamaha Grizzly 700 using a log and a stump as a fulcrum and a lever. I got my wheel removed and used a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire to squeeze the bead back out to the rim. We had a plug in air compressor with us which re inflated the tire.
    I just thought that this is a good tip for everyone to keep in mind if this is ever to happen to you or anyone in your party.

This is great to share with fellow ATVers... And never leave home without a crap load of plugs... Been there, done that!

That actually happened to me last year as well. I limped it out, put some air in it, and scratched my head...

I aleays carry a can of ligter fluid just spray a little on the rim, the expanding gasses usualy gives me about 14psi. just don't use too much lighter fluid.
    fshrman

I have never used lighter fluid to seat a bead but I have used starter fluid a number of times on big truck tires. Have your compressor ready to pump the tire up and give the tire a small shot of starter fluid inside the rim and touch a flame to it. It would be possible to burn your machine up or start a grass fire etc. so this method is to be used very carefully. Make sure you start out with a small shot of fluid and if it doesn't seat you can always give it a larger shot the next time.