Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Halibut fishing in lower inlet?

Default Fall Halibut fishing in lower inlet?

Are there still halibut to be had off Anchor point and deep creek at this time of year? Was thinking of taking the boat down this weekend for one last trip this season. Any recent reports? Thanks Joel

Halibut fishing is still good.You might want to stay east of the line between Pogi and Anchor Point as we have the bigger tides coming up and you`ll stay out of some of the current.Good Luck

Don`t forget your downriggers the kings are here too.

I am 95% sure that the deep creek and anchor point tractor launches are closed for the year. You will havve to go out of Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel in Alaska View Post
    Are there still halibut to be had off Anchor point and deep creek at this time of year? Was thinking of taking the boat down this weekend for one last trip this season. Any recent reports? Thanks Joel
    There are halibut to be had all winter out of Homer. Check out my website for pictures of recent catches. Not sure why everyone thinks the halibut just disappear at this time of year. Though, as Yukon said you'll have to launch off the beach if you go to either Anchor or Deep Creek.

And as fishon said, there are lots of kings around. I caught this one just 3 days ago within about a 10 minute boat ride from the harbor:

62582_1451799303454_1487402054_31180508_4846296_n.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Is there such a thing as winter rates for halibut charters?
    Why should a local pay the blue hair premium? Just wondering because i'd love to do a charter.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Is there such a thing as winter rates for halibut charters?
    Why should a local pay the blue hair premium? Just wondering because i'd love to do a charter.
    Some of us don't charge a "blue hair premium" so I don't quite know what you mean by that, but most charter operators do adjust their pricing for winter fishing. You use a lot less gas and bait so there is less overhead.

Most people don't target halibut because there just aren't that many bigger halibut around, which is what most people are interested in catching when they go after halibut. I have a spot where I was having to quit fishing at last winter because all I'd catch while I was trolling for kings were chickens. I'd catch 2 and throw them in the fish box and then have to go elsewhere because they'd just keep stealing my bait and getting in the way of the chance of catching salmon. It's kind of hard sometimes to think of halibut as being nuisance fish.

Thanks Dave for the info. Blue hair premium is the tourist season rates fyi.

I don't charge more during the tourist season just because it's tourist season. I charge what I think is the lowest price possible that still allows me to make a living from it. That's why I was confused.

Default And more!

Dave's right!
    Got this 17-pounder off the Bluffs in a few hours of fishing with a friend and his dad 2 days ago...
    gusking.jpg

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Cliffhanger,
    About how deep were you fishing when you found that 17lb king? Nice fish by the way....
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 10-08-2010 at 12:01. Reason: spelling I got in a hurry

We were fishing right around 35 feet in 70-90 feet of water...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    We were fishing right around 35 feet in 70-90 feet of water...
    I second that. That's about my favorite depth/depth.

And in case anyone doubts the existence of halibut close in, we didn't have to go too far to get these a few days ago:

butt n king.jpg

The bigger butt there was 24 lbs. and the king was 16 lbs. That king came from about 35' down in about 90' of water out near Pogi.

Here's a few more that Cliffhanger and I got today right at 35' in about 100' of water:

JIm 28lb king.jpgTwo more kings.jpg

Jim's holding a 28 pounder that decided to take about 50 yards of line off the reel in about 10 seconds and I'm holding an 11 and 14 pounder.

A quick video off the Bluffs,

Enjoy....I know I did.....

Here's another from the Bluffs
    Just gotta love this stuff.....

Love it! Were those recent catches? I catch halibut trolling a lot in the Seldovia to Pogi area, but seldom off the Bluffs. Though I've heard of people catching some even in the 60 to 70 lb. range trolling there for winter kings---even in the middle of winter.

Mutley,
    These videos were shot on September 12th.Nice and calm seas,beautiful day,and the fishing wasn't too bad either.Will probably come down again this Friday and give it another go.Any suggestions are certainly welcome (not very subtle am I).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Mutley,
    These videos were shot on September 12th.Nice and calm seas,beautiful day,and the fishing wasn't too bad either.Will probably come down again this Friday and give it another go.Any suggestions are certainly welcome (not very subtle am I).
    I would head for Pogi if I were you if the water allows. Still halibut out there and probably the most consistent spot for kings. I like the Fourth of July area, too. And the Bluffs can be good as well. Closer in, try the Lancashire Rock area, near shore inside Gull Island, Peterson Point, Glacier Spit, and down near Bear Island. As you probably know kings can be very spotty, so sometimes if the water isn't bad for skipping around try as many spots as you can. I went and trolled today for about 4 hours where Jim and I got those fish the other day and didn't get so much as a takedown. Look for bait. That's what the kings are out there looking for too.

Mutley Crew Fishing
    Dave your PM box is full and not takig anymore.PM sent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast