Thread: Muzzleloader deer season is less than a month away!

Default Muzzleloader deer season is less than a month away!

The stands are all hung, the branches trimmed, paths have been mowed through the multi-flower roses and poison ivy patches to the stands. The White Mountain Carbine is all tuned in with Lee Real Bullets. My hunting clothes have been washed in scent free soap and placed in plastic tubs half full of whats on the timber floor.

Almost a month away and I'm already looking at flags to see what direction the wind is from and when I lay my head down at night my mind goes to plotting against them whitetailed deer just like it did when I first started hunting back in the early 70s. I know every trick the wind plays in every knook and cranny of my timber and I'm fixen to use it to my advantage.

Mom says we got enough deer heads on the wall already......oh but honey it just aint so!

Man I love this time of year!

Our Muzzleloader season is not until DECEMBER. But I can use my muzzleloader during the general rifle season (Nov 13- 26th) if I want (& I DO!!!).

Our season in the immediate vicinity of town runs August 1 through October 31, with muzzleloader season tacked on for the first two weeks of November. Trouble is, you can take only one deer in any of that. You can take two additional deer through December 31 in remote regions, but if I want to hunt those magical two weeks of ML season, I can't shoot anything beforehand. It's significant, because those are the two weeks leading into the rut.

Sooooo, right now I've been wandering around with a muzzleloader in my hand for close to two months now, but I'm very reluctant to shoot anything before the special season. There are just too many good reasons to wait. But there was this really nice 4-pointer (10-point Eastern count) last week that sure tempted me. Stalked within 40 yards, but couldn't quite make it to the 20 yard line I've imposed on myself....

Gee, I'm having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Our season in the immediate vicinity of town runs August 1 through October 31, with muzzleloader season tacked on for the first two weeks of November. Trouble is, you can take only one deer in any of that. You can take two additional deer through December 31 in remote regions, but if I want to hunt those magical two weeks of ML season, I can't shoot anything beforehand. It's significant, because those are the two weeks leading into the rut.

Sooooo, right now I've been wandering around with a muzzleloader in my hand for close to two months now, but I'm very reluctant to shoot anything before the special season. There are just too many good reasons to wait. But there was this really nice 4-pointer (10-point Eastern count) last week that sure tempted me. Stalked within 40 yards, but couldn't quite make it to the 20 yard line I've imposed on myself....

Gee, I'm having fun!
    Whats it like deer hunting amungst big bears? I am in the timber when it's still black out. I hear critters all around me that I can't identify...can't imagine what it'd be like wondering if one of them was a brown bear.

It's pretty nervewracking sometimes. We generally don't dive into the thick stuff till it's light, then get out by dark- especially with a deer down. Charges aren't fun, as you might guess. All of mine have been false charges over the years, but I'll admit the trigger finger building lots of pressure when the last one stopped at around 20 yards. A one-shooter kinda puts pressure on your marksmanship and judgement, as well as your choice of hole sizes.

My standard has been a 58 in recent years, and lately I've been playing with a 62 cal and a 75 cal. I figure there's only time for one shot in truth, if it's the real deal and not a falsie. I've been looking hard at 58 and 72 cal doubles, but haven't made up my mind yet. Right now Aknewbie has a very nice 58 double with extra goodies for sale in the want ads here at the site, and the price tag is more than fair. If a 550 grain slug at 1450 is good, two ought to be better, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It's pretty nervewracking sometimes. We generally don't dive into the thick stuff till it's light, then get out by dark- especially with a deer down. Charges aren't fun, as you might guess. All of mine have been false charges over the years, but I'll admit the trigger finger building lots of pressure when the last one stopped at around 20 yards. A one-shooter kinda puts pressure on your marksmanship and judgement, as well as your choice of hole sizes.

My standard has been a 58 in recent years, and lately I've been playing with a 62 cal and a 75 cal. I figure there's only time for one shot in truth, if it's the real deal and not a falsie. I've been looking hard at 58 and 72 cal doubles, but haven't made up my mind yet. Right now Aknewbie has a very nice 58 double with extra goodies for sale in the want ads here at the site, and the price tag is more than fair. If a 550 grain slug at 1450 is good, two ought to be better, right?
    A twice shooter for sure. A bluff charge to 20 yards would require ole EKC to need a little cleaning up when it was all said and done.....I'm thinkin

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    A twice shooter for sure. A bluff charge to 20 yards would require ole EKC to need a little cleaning up when it was all said and done.....I'm thinkin
    Ayup. Up here a roll in a ziploc is standard gear.