Thread: questions - knik black bears

Default questions - knik black bears

How does the meat taste? Where abouts can I look? Will a 7mm rifle do the trick? Any info would be very helpful. Never hunted this area. Just rode the wheeler there so I know the area quite well. Thanks Chris

I would glass the hillsides. Be patient. Meat will probably be a crap shoot in how in tastes depending on what the bear has been eating. But I would lean towards good. 7mm will be just fine. That should be about it. Glass alot, they will appear.

Once your past Jim Creek start glassing to your left......look up high. 7mm will work wonders if your using a good bullet. If the bear has been on a strict berry diet it will be excellent eating. Once you start skinning you'll know if you will be wanting to eat the meat or not. Good luck.

Cool, Thanks guys. My moose hunting sucked this year. Didnt see anything. So I figured what the hay, I'll go get me a bear. A bear rug would be nice.

I got a black bear last weekend, here's my thoughts. It wasn't near the Knik, but the meat was awful. We harvested it all and cooked the backstraps that night. Super fishy, got him near a creek that feeds into a lake. The creek had alot of bright red salmon and some "almost dead" looking ones. No doubt that's what he was eating. On your choice of munitions, I took mine with my .30-06 with 180gr Accubonds (we were moose hunting). It went in the sweet spot, hit a rib (we think) absolutely destroyed everything in the chest cavity (lungs and heart were like jello) and big hole out the other side. The fish made for terrible meat, but the hide was beautiful and shiny.