Thread: Water Proofing Ammunition???

Default Water Proofing Ammunition???

Anyone here dip their bullet tips into some kind of laquer and put a drop on the primers to prevent moisture from getting inside? (like military ammo)

If so, what methods do you prefer?
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Cool Sealer

Yes, I seal my ammo. Why? Because every miitary on earth does so. I have fired ammo that was made for WW1 and had it worked very well. This is just an extra insurance policy. Why let fog and temperature changes damage your ammo. Your rifle scope, binoculars, and spotting scope are sealed or they would be usless in inclimate temps. I know a lot of people don't bother, but if I pay the bucks to hunt and take the time to hit the backtrails, I don't want something as stupid and as cheap as sealer to wreck my hunt. It's cheap compared to your next hunt, and you can do it in the comfort of your own home. ANY QUESTIONS ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default George and Roy's Primer Sealer...

is what I use! About $10 and will seal 1000 primers. You can also seal where the bullet enters the case neck! I seal everything that might be used on dangerous game.

Wyatt

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    is what I use! About $10 and will seal 1000 primers. You can also seal where the bullet enters the case neck! I seal everything that might be used on dangerous game.

Wyatt
    Wyatt:
    I tried that stuff, and couldn't get it to work for me. It just globbed up, all over the place. Did you use any special tech na Que?
    Smitty of the North

Wink

A tooth pick and clear nail polish. Place / wipe a SMALL drop on the point of a tooth pick place it in the primer valley , between the side of the primer pocket, and primer and , circle the outer edge drawing the little glob of polish outlining/ circling the outer edge of the pocket. I've found it works best for me if I go in the same direction. Wipe any extra off the center of the primer right away, Let dry with cartridge standing in box bullet face down. I've been doing this for years and never had a problem /misfire. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default clean

All sealer work best on clean brass. Take a clean cloth and wet with rubbing alcohol, wipe brass to remove sizing lube and and finger oils. The sealer will work much better. Markron is also a sealer sold by Midway, haven't used it yet tho
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

I also seal all hunting cartridges that I load...just the primer. When we live in such a wet hunting environment, why not? I use the George and Roy's Sealer, which comes in a small bottle and brush inside the cap. It works pretty good..or at least has so far. The main thing is to go slow and not glob it on.

Default Doc

Why would you only seal the primer and not the projectile end? It has a much larger area and thus would allow a proportionately larger moisture infiltration into the case ( it also tends to be pointed up a lot). But, to each his own.

Bravo1,
    Good question...guess I don't have a good answer...just never have done it. Never even stopped to think about it. Have not had a problem with only sealing the primer, but that of course means nothing. I have hunted hard in way bad weather for many seasons up here. Maybe I'll start running that brush around the projectile end. Anyway, you got me thinking. Thanks.
    Doc

Default Doc

It won't hurt and may save the day ina future hunt. GOOD Shootin !!

Default never done it

I grew up hunting in NW Washington.....very similar weather to SE Alaska. We never sealed our ammo and I never knew anyone else who did. I have never had, or heard of anyone having a problem that could be traced to moisture getting into the case, so I've never even thought about sealing. On the other hand, I guess it can't hurt if you want to do it.

I hunted in/around Cordova last year during some really heavy rain storms. I shoot a T/C Encore so I carry my rounds in a wrist carrier for quick reloading but this leaves them exposed to the elements. All of the rounds for my .375 H&H were handloads with no sealer used. All of them functioned just fine.