Thread: First float hunt

Default First float hunt

I Just completed my first float hunt and it was more fun than I expected it would be. We had 4 days of killer weather, just cold enough to get the bulls active and 70's during the day. I only wish that I had more time to spend on the trip. We were successful and called our bull moose to within 20 yards. What an adrenaline rush when a bull comes charging out of the brush at you!!!
    I guess you could say that I have been prepping for this trip for years now and think I am an experienced boater. Having floated and lead trips on many rivers in a Alaska to include the Tatshenshini, Alsek, Nennana, Tal, Gulkana, ect.... you get the idea. I am writing this because I have lurked on the fourm for quite sometime and thought I would add some of my experiences in the hopes of helping out.

I get the feeling that there are some very experienced boaters and on the other side some hunters that have very little rafting experience but think a raft is a good way to go to access game. It is my feeling that there is no better way to hunt than from a raft. On my many trips with family camp/rafting we often would see wildlife that you would never see from a powerboat, you can simply sneak up on game just by putting miles in to get to your campsite. On this latest trip we saw 9 black bears and often would just pull over and glass them fishing for the fun of it. We were not hunting bears but it was just fun to watch. I have never had the chance to do this any other way but rafting.

I would be happy to assist anyone with advice when planning rafting trips to AK. I guess that my advice would probably be to work on your boating skills before you even go raft/hunting. Too many skills to work on with rafting in itself that it will take away from your hunting experience if you are not comfortable in the boat and don't have the AK camping/gear figured out.

Glad to hear that you were sucessfull on your float hunt. Float hunting in my choice of hunting also by far. What type of raft did you use? How big was your moose?

I use a Aire 156E with a stern frame and the moose was 51.5 with 3x3 nice clean bull loaded with fat

Nice post Matt. You sound very excited about your first float hunt and I'm happy for you. Now for the rest of your story - HOW ABOUT SOME PICTURES!!!!

Congrats!!

I would but can't add attachments, I'm guessing because this is my first post.

You could create a photo bucket album and post a link to it. I'd love to see some pics!

Hey Dan was going to PM you with my Facebook info so you could see all the photos but won't let me PM you. I'll try to figure this out.

Matt.AK

Here are a couple of pics from my hunt

I'll have to try again
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple more

Congrats on your successful hunt. Son and I are still trying to get back to Fairbanks to fill the cow tag I drew. He works 6 twelve+ hours days which only leave sunday to hunt. Kinda difficult when you live in Big Lake. We still have a couple months to hunt, he should be getting a two day weekend soon.

looks like you efforts were rewarded nicely. Congrats on beautiful trophies.

Default Here are some photos of the trip

As you can tell the weather was great. Sorry not many pictures, the kids took the memory card out of our camera so these were all we could take.

Default here are a few more photos of the trip

antlers 1.jpgphoto 3.jpg

scenery and antlers

Congrats, gotta love float hunting

Default Float Hunt

I have been to Alaska and hunted the wood river (drop camp). I would like to return on a float hunt for moose or caribou. But I don't know where to start. By the way congrats.