Thread: Gear from the good ole days?

Default Gear from the good ole days?

Of course we always hear about how good the hunting was in the old days (or back in the day for the younger guys). How about the gear? I love looking at hunting pictures from the 50s, 60s and even 70s. Makes you wonder how guys were able to hunt sheep in blue jeans and flannel (or maybe wool) shirts.

So for you guys that were hunting in those days, what did you use for gear, clothing, and equipment when hunting sheep in Alaska? I'm curious about optics, rifles, tents, cook stoves, clothing, etc. How does it compare to today?

Oakman, all the sheep hunters I know from 25 years ago did not even take backpack tents. They just took a 10 foot by ten foot piece of clear plastic and constructed a nightly shelter!

I like my tents.

dennis

I grew up with a Trapper nelson pack with wood staves and canvas packsack. Thought we were really modern when we found waist belts to modify them with! (as a teenager I really envied them guys who could afford the Kelty packs and Eddie bauer down sleeping bags) Optics we had was a 45 power fixed baush and lomb scope that was pretty lightweight but not much good at definition. My family and the guys we hunted with all carried 7mm remington mags or 300 weatherby's with leupold variables either 2-7 or 3-9. We had a cabelas "mountain tent" that was by todays standards a real piece of junk... seems like we were always wet and cold, but it was lightweight. Likewise, we carried down coats purchased from payless or cabelas or the army navy store, and I really envied them eddie bauer ones... anyone remember the Frostline down jacket and sleeping bag kits? Our raingear was that heavy, stiff, non-breathable stuff and the closest thing to poly pro I remember was green apes. Boots were the other thing I remember as being junk... we used just leather laceup work boots for years and no matter how much snow seal we'd put on them I remember my feet beeing freezing cold and soggy wet the whole time. As a teenager I saved money from my summer job and bought a pair of the vasque clodhoppers... the difference being that they were heavier when they were cold and wet and soggy. I remember the first few sets of goretex I had, expensive, and worthless if you ever sprayed bug dope on it... A tent that breathes! WOW.

I remember a pair of wool pants from Cabelas I used for years on all my hunts. Wish I had another pair. We brought a tent but carried a visqueen to bivy out away from the tent and still remember some cool nights in those watching the stars at night. Cheap bushnell/Tasco binos and heavy helly raingear. Everything was heavier then, but I was younger and used to be in shape. Now I try to shave ounces off my gear. What a wimp....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear