Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long range overnight charter

Default long range overnight charter

I'm looking into an overnight longrange charter for next summer. "Sanity" charters out of Valdez offers a very reasonable two full day trip, but I've never heard of them and there isn't much personal info on their website. Anybody heard of them or better yet, fished with them and can offer any feedback???
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Ken Larson is the owner and operator of Sanity Charters. He has a small lodge at Elmar and his boat is a 34ft FiberCraft. I am not sure if he will be doing the overnight charter thing next year. He was talking about letting Dan on the Faithful use his 6 pack permit and Dan does overnight charters. Dan is at Exclusion Charters. The limited entry program starts next Feb and I am not sure how many charters will still be in business next year.

Interesting...I can't find anything on Dan and Exclusion charters online...I see his boat named in some newspaper entries regarding derby fish, but nothing regarding that outfit.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Ahhh...so a "C" not an "X"...gotcha...thank you.

Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I would love to get out with Travis on that yacht of his...right now it's a matter of getting enough people and enough money...so I'm looking at just a 2-day trip for the time being. I might have to see if I can finagle my way on with another group.

www.fishvaldez.com Good boat, Good fishermen

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    www.fishvaldez.com Good boat, Good fishermen
    I've seen this guy before and somehow have missed it in my recent searching. Thanks, this is definitely a contender considering the cost.

Not a charter guy ....... but ....

Spending a few days on the water is the way to go, in July and August you can concentrate on bottom fish one day and go after Salmon the next, all over in the water column. I think there is a market for 2,3,or even 4 day trips out of Seward, Whittier or Valdez where you get to catch fish, eat gormet meals see great wildlife and take a raft or kayak to shore on some remote island of bay maybe even dig a few clams .... experience of a life time ... been there done that... waiting for the local business minds to figure it out ...

retired MBA guy

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Not a charter guy ....... but ....

Spending a few days on the water is the way to go, in July and August you can concentrate on bottom fish one day and go after Salmon the next, all over in the water column. I think there is a market for 2,3,or even 4 day trips out of Seward, Whittier or Valdez where you get to catch fish, eat gormet meals see great wildlife and take a raft or kayak to shore on some remote island of bay maybe even dig a few clams .... experience of a life time ... been there done that... waiting for the local business minds to figure it out ...

retired MBA guy
    I've been wanting to do an overnight/multi-day trip for years. My challenge has always been finding enough other like-minded fishing fanatics to come up with enough for any given charter operator to take out, as most of them don't do a mixed party charter for this type of thing.

Now, since I just moved out of state, such a trip makes a lot of sense. I'd normally do three or four charters in a year, targeting a variety of bottom fish & salmon to fill the freezer. Since I won't have the same opportunity anymore, a 2- or 3-day trip that can combine multiple species would serve to fill the freezer for my family and the friends I normally supply with fish.

I may end up putting it out there to other forum members and see if there aren't others like me who might join up and get enough people to do this.

I have fished with Dan and the Faithful for few years now. He puts alot of effort into getting you on good fishing. Our trip this past summer we boated 11 halibut, plus some monsterous rockfish and lings for a boat total of 599.6 pounds in fillets on an overnite trip.

I have also booked Sharks with him and this was the 1st year we struck out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've made email contact with everyone mentioned here and so now have a good idea of prices, trip specifics, etc. Now I just have to drum up enough other fanatical fishermen to go with me! Good thing I'm starting early.

Anybody coming across this thread who might be interested in one of these trips next summer, probably August, shoot me a PM. I only have two of us commited at this point. Most of the options require a minimum of four people (or just a couple of people but with more money than I and my friend can afford!).

Charterboat Operator

http://www.gasandtime.com/contact.htm
    another option and possible for even just the two of you, Joe an upstanding guy, and a lot of fun to be around.

Are you focusing out of Valdez or open to other locales?
    The Homer outfit Dave mentioned looks good; I'm interested in a multi-day trip myself and am typically up around mid July thru 1st week of August; found the same thing about multi-day trips being pretty pricey but would definitely consider a shared trip!
    Jim

Sent you a PM, Jim....I'd probably prefer Homer over Valdez, just checking out all the options at this point.

P1000451.jpgP1000450.jpgwe do overnight and long range trips as you heard from capndd and dupont spinner, one way or the other i will be fishing next year either with my own lep or sanity charters lep i think you may have called me awhile back but not sure. we charge by the boat not by the number of people on overnight trips so the price is the same try me at www.seaclusion@acsalaska.net
    seaclusion charter not Exclusion charter CapnDD's memory is as bad as his luck with Volvo stern drives. HAHA

Hey, thanks for the post, Dan. We did, in fact, exchange emails a while back. I just checked and see the boat price you have for the overnighters. My challenge continues to be to get enough other serious-minded fisherman to join me and make it affordable. That's why I started looking and gathering info nearly a year out!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I saw that guy coming back up the east side of Montague while I was getting skunked at that spot you gave me. Made me wish I went down to the south side and burned a bit more fuel...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast