Thread: Fishing in Juneau

Default Fishing in Juneau

Does not suck

Nap time
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Seriously, if you think I'm giving away any secrete you are an idiot..
    Probably a huge relief to a lot of folks.

Thanks for putting it in writing, some gene pools need a cleansing.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thumbs up

Looks like you have been pounding them in the Channel north of DIPAC, Monkey. Good going.

I've been slumming after work at DIPAC. This past week was the best week of the year for me, but that's not exactly saying a lot. Wednesday night in particular was very hot as a lot of schools were working the shallowing and easy to spot. Yeah, I was using a Kookesh (tm) spinner. There is big hole if front of the barge landing that they have hanging in and the seals will push them into shallower water. Gonna get the canning operation into gear this weekend as it looks like it's gonna be pretty cruddy wx. That 12 day stretch was one to remember 4 sure.

Do you usually dunk your fly reel in saltwater? What wt rod? 7 or 8 I presume? Pattern?

7 weight... the reel is sweet Allen Fly Fishing Products... I just make sure to rinse the reel with freshwater... Clousers, ESLs, Bunnies, the usual. Fish should be moving into the fresh now that the streams aren't super low
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

[QUOTE=L. G.;808449]Yeah, I was using a Kookesh (tm) spinner. QUOTE]

L.G. - AK is a pretty small place. Please keep comments like this out of Outdoorsdirectory and limit them to the comments section of the Juneau Empire webpage.

Sobie2

'Tis a fine line between humor and heresy here at AOF . . .

I did manage to put away 4 cases of pressure canned salmon this weekend. Perfect weekend for it. Most of it was silvers from DIPAC. First time I've done this solo. Good thing I learned from a pro. It sure turned out yummy. Urban subsistence at it's finest.

Good to know you read the on-line comments in the Empire too Sobie2. I'm sure there are lots of folks knocking on his lawyers door.

Good to hear about your success. I have heard people say, "Lost another fisherman to DIPAC" in relation to those Ditech TV home loan commercials. And 4 cases of salmon from a weekend at DIPAC I can now see why.

Sobie2

Acutally I've been filleting, skinning and freezing my catch. I only got 4 last week (which was my best week of the season).

It used to be that it was common to get your 6 fish during the lunch hour at the peak of the run.