Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewes Craft 22 ocean pro

Default Hewes Craft 22 ocean pro

Does anyone use a 22 ft' HT ocean pro in the Homer/ Anchor Piont area? looking to see if it will handle the water OK with a 200 hp. Honda.

Default Good to Go

You should be good to go.

You should not have a problem. My friend has a 22 and he has taken it all the way out to Montegue. Do you plan to have a kicker with this?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The kicker will be a 15 hp. Honda,
    Thanks for the feed back. I was also looking at the 26 Alaskan with twin 115 yamahas. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Hammer View Post
    Thanks for the feed back. I was also looking at the 26 Alaskan with twin 115 yamahas. Any thoughts?

Thanks again
    I bought the 26 last year and love it. I got the extended HT. Alittle less room on the deck but it makes up for it inside. I'm so glad I went with the 26'. I have twin 115 on it.
    After taking to people that bought the 22 or 24 they wished they went bigger.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 26'

Go with the bigger boat. I bought a 24' sea runner 2 years ago and it is in the process of becoming a 30' sea runner.

Default Het 4whlr

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Go with the bigger boat. I bought a 24' sea runner 2 years ago and it is in the process of becoming a 30' sea runner.
    Is your boat being modified at the Silver Streak Boat shop? If so, it looked very nice..

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    Is your boat being modified at the Silver Streak Boat shop? If so, it looked very nice..
    You can do that??? How much would something like that cost?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks again
    I would skip the Honda kicker and get one of the high thrust models from Yamaha. Either the 8 or 10 hp will move your boat faster than the 15 hp Honda. The high thrust models have different gearing and props and are designed from the get go to move heavy loads at slow speeds. They also do this at a lower price. I talked to a gent at Seward who had the same SeaSport that I did with a Honda 20 hp kicker on it and he go only hit about 4 mph with it. I can do 5.5 mph on a good day with my 10 hp hight thrust.
    Tennessee

Thanks again
    If you can afford the bigger boat, you'll no doubt enjoy it. That said, it's not just the extra cost of the boat, it's the higher fuel consumption and towing a larger boat to factor in.

As far as seaworthiness, these are all small boats and safety is dependent on the captain much more so than hull design. The bigger boats will be more comfortable than the smaller ones in a chop, but when the wind picks up, none of them should be on the water.

I have a Yamaha 9.9 Hi Thrust on a trophy 2352. It is an excellent Kicker. I was told that they can put a hi thrust prop on a 15 hp. honda as well.

Default Silver Streak

Yes, that is my boat. I had it extended 6', larger fish box, as well as a fish box over the batteries like the new ones. I also raised the front and rear rails up. It will be getting rino lined in a few weeks too.
    Last year I had a ridged canopy installed as well as adding side fuel tanks. It now holds 222 gallons.
    Next year I think I will get a sliding door to replace the swing open door and a diesel heater. May even get the heater yet this year..

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Yes, that is my boat. I had it extended 6', larger fish box, as well as a fish box over the batteries like the new ones. I also raised the front and rear rails up. It will be getting rino lined in a few weeks too.
    Last year I had a ridged canopy installed as well as adding side fuel tanks. It now holds 222 gallons.
    Next year I think I will get a sliding door to replace the swing open door and a diesel heater. May even get the heater yet this year..

4whlr, who did you side gas tanks. i've been considering this.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default tanks

Sea State One did the tanks.

4whlr,

I have the sliding rear cabin door on my SeaSport and would have to say it was well worth the money. No more moving when someone wants to get back into the cabin. Well worth the small cost.
    Tennessee

Default kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I would skip the Honda kicker and get one of the high thrust models from Yamaha. Either the 8 or 10 hp will move your boat faster than the 15 hp Honda. The high thrust models have different gearing and props and are designed from the get go to move heavy loads at slow speeds. They also do this at a lower price. I talked to a gent at Seward who had the same SeaSport that I did with a Honda 20 hp kicker on it and he go only hit about 4 mph with it. I can do 5.5 mph on a good day with my 10 hp hight thrust.
    Go with the 20 Honda. Sweet runner, same weight as 15, and decent battery charger if you drain your batteries. Get the standard unit, which is about $150 less than the High-Thrust. Then, buy the High-thrust kit for $80, which is just a prop and a sticker. Install the prop (and sticker if you want), and you now have a spare prop for your kicker. Then go kick some Yamabutt in a kicker race.

Unless your kicker motor can get you on step you are simply wasting the extra horse power above 10. They simply will not push your boat fast. The Yamaha High thrust models are geared different than regular motors. Electric start, charge your batteries while running, and the 8hp version has power tilt.
    I am not sure if the kit Honda sells can change the gearing.
    Like I said, in comparable boats I witnessed first hand my 10 Yammie pushing my boat faster than the 20 hp HOnda.
    Tennessee

My friend has the 22 ht ext transom Ocean Pro with a 175 HP Suzuki and it handles awesome. The boat moves out well with myself (200 lbs) my pal (200 lbs) and his relatives (2 300 pounders!). With that said 200 HP Honda ought to be fine.

Sobie2

Default Sliding door

Not sure if I need it or not. Been on a few sea sports with it and like the concept, but with the 4' of deck extention I'm not sure I will still need it. Guess I'll have to go fishing and find out.... :-)

4whlr, you'll have to post some pictures once your project is completed. That sounds awesome... definitely a must see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast