Thread: Upper Kenai

Default Upper Kenai

I have never drifted the Kenai and am thinking of pack rafting the upper section. I am looking for any suggestions or trouble areas to look out for. Any info would be helpful. Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Dallman3 View Post
    I have never drifted the Kenai and am thinking of pack rafting the upper section. I am looking for any suggestions or trouble areas to look out for. Any info would be helpful. Thanx
    The only real "Trouble Areas" on the Upper (Kenai Lake to Jim's Landing, excluding below Jim's through the Canyon) are Princess Rapid and Schooner Bend. Both of these are viewable from the road.

Princess Rapid is on the Sterling Hwy directly across from Princess Lodge, there is a wide pullout there where you can view it. It's a straight down the middle run, just line up outside of the large boulder on River Right. It's got a sweet back eddy at the bottom...Fish it.

Schooner Bend is directly downstream from the bridge over the Kenai next to the Ress. Pass Trailhead. You can drive down the road to the Russian River Campground and see it from the guardrail above the river. Its an easy approach, come in on the inside of the bend, or stay on the outside and run the wave train. There is a large rock/small island that sticks out of the water at the end of the run, and it has been known to jump in front of folks who aren't on their game, so be ready for it and aware of the current that pulls towards and into it and you'll be fine, if in doubt stay inside all the way around that bend and it is smooth sailing.

Aside from that, the pack raft will get you into skinny water 90% of the other boats can't access, be careful on the smaller channels below the Russian River Ferry, some are wide open and a blast, some come to an abrupt, and hazardous end that can be costly. There are a bunch of AOD folks down there right now (See the Fishapalooza Part Deux thread), and will be through the end of the month. Stop into the Campground and say hello, someone might be happy to run it with you....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Ill be back down wednesday afternoon along with around 6-8 others. About 10 palooozers there right now. Fishing if pretty darn good right now. 2 more days of work and then 10 days of fishing. Cant miss my site. Look for the fish goddess, the Bills banner and Aces flag
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for the info fellas. I appreciate it and hopefully I will see you out there.