Thread: First Moose with a bow - with a FOB no less!

Default First Moose with a bow - with a FOB no less!

After more than 30 days in the field over 2 years I was finally able to take my first moose with my bow. Saturday morning Amber (my wife) ran the 3rd leg of the Equinox Marathon relay, 9.2 miles. She trained for 5 months and ran the whole way without walking, I am so proud of her for working that hard on it. We went out for ice cream, came home, took a nap, then about 7:30 that night I headed out the area that I hunt.

I was set up by 7:50, started raking the brush, and not more than 10 minutes later I heard him coming from across the way. I could see him through the trees before he could see me so I knew that he was a bull. I was able to draw as he came around the corner and he was looking for the "other bull" that he heard. I was at 15 yards. I was able to get a quartering to shot and heard him go down in the trees just about 8:15pm. Didn't get a full pass through so no FOB action, but it does make it easy to see the arrow.

Amber's dad and brother came over about an hour later and we followed the blood trail about 60 yards to where he went down in the trees. He was still alive but breathing hard and didn't move far when they came up on him. We backed out and gave him some time and went back in a little while later. He was still alive, and I was able to get another arrow into him and that was that. Got him skinned out and meat laid out to cool for the night. A paddle horn, his spread was only 25", but he might as well have been 60" I was so happy.

The best part of the deal is no more 5:30am mornings!!! Have to start planning the next big hunt and figure out what the next challenge is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Congradulations to both you & your wife. Sounds like you both put in the time & earned it.

Congrats that will make some fine meals.

You must be stoked! Congratulations on the excellent harvest. Sounds like ya put your time in. Well deserved!

-akiceman25

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

That is just too cool for words. 15 yards with a bow from a moose. Been in on a number of moose kills in my short lifetime but none that were that up close and personal. Congrats to you, what an accomplishment no doubt!

Way to go! My first bow kill was 10/7 last year. The feeling is incredible and the sound of the arrow hitting the moose is unforgetable.

Dan CONGRATULATIONS way to go. 30 years ago my first bull was about same size....yes it is a rush does not matter how big they are
    Thanx for sharing picture and story.
    Congrats Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Yeah, I Am Impressed with that story too, Way To Go.

In my opinion Bowhunters are the Quintessential Hunters, (I've never pulled that off yet)and then at That Range and having Called Him in to Your Ambush,
    man that is some seriously cool hunting,

Should add a to your wife also, sounds like she nailed it also, you guys are gettin' it done right
    Thanks for the story and pic

PS hate to admit the "Shortcut spaceout" that I am but I can't for the life of me figure out what FOB stands for..............
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It is a supply code in the USAF for adding equipment to record that doesn't have a purchase order attached to it. Stands for "Found On Base". It is frequently associated with the more common FOT or Fell Off Truck. As in one unit invariable has an FOT of an item and another ends up with a FOB. Funny how no one ever sees the FOT, and there is always a great story to corroborate the FOB. This was especially true in combat zones during the early part of the Iraq war. Some guys are particularly good at "finding" stuff...

Or it could be one of those new little plastic torpedo spinners that replace the vanes on an arrow.

Congratulations! Sounds like an absolutley thrilling hunt! FOB'licious looking moose Keep on FOB'n FOB= Fletching Only BETTER. There neat little buggers.

Awesome!! Still looking for my first. =)

Stoked for you, Dan. FOBs add at least one level of class to any moose hunt.

Taylor

CONGRATULATIONS !!! Good job, Dan'l. Gonna be a good winter full of steaks, roasts, and sausage!

Thanks everyone! Went down this weekend to butcher the beast after hanging for a week in the air conditioning. The meat is tender and tasty!!! Got a lot of steaks and roasts with some good burger and sausage. Gotta love the big ole' grinder. Already made a batch or two of jerky with the trimmings too. MMMMMMMM.

Thanks again!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    That is just too cool for words. 15 yards with a bow from a moose. Been in on a number of moose kills in my short lifetime but none that were that up close and personal. Congrats to you, what an accomplishment no doubt!
    My sentiments as well..You should be proud!

Congratulations, Dan!
    Excellent return on your "sweat equity". 30 days is in the "commitment" range.
    The final sequence in a hunt can seem like luck - maybe so, but some make their luck.
    Thanks for sharing - and congratulations to your wife too.