Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Dogs while hunting

  1. #1
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Question Dogs while hunting

    my buddy was out not too from outa houston somewhere today hunting moose some guys have set up camp and brought a dog(no big) but instead of keeping there dog in camp contained their letting it run, bark and stir stuff up while their out running their wheelers. I know what I think about it but what do forum members think of this practice?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  2. #2

    Default

    There is a group of non-residents from Louisiana up here right now running hounds. They told my nearest neighbor that fish and game issued them a permit to take bears. They also said fish and game told them to shoot as many as they wanted, no need to even skin them, shoot them and leave them. Dunno....... but mine stays put where I want him.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    We keep a loose dog around camp, though it travels with us when we go, for sure.

    Keeps tha Bears away, and alerts ya to other things.....but then again, I very rarely meet others out in the country unless I want to.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  4. #4
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    The guys are out moose hunting and letting there dog move things around. Come on since when are you worried about a bear while your out hunting moose? And on the fish and game saying to let animals just lay that sounds like a line of $h!t to me
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Im not into Moose, but get what ya mean..


    I dont use dogs to hunt either, I should explain further;

    Camping isn't always for hunting.... when I "Camp" its often for months at a time, and we fish for ourselfs and our dogs. The last couple years we have spent near our present home, the dog still crosses the river to the meat/fish racks every time the boat go's across.
    When the ladys are up or down the river picking greens or berrys, the dog is near. He watches their backs while they watch the work.
    We keep a loose dog in our camps because we fish all summer and the Bears will come to us, eventually, along the river.Rack after Rack of drying Salmon, Whitefish, Pike, Caribou and Muskox has an aluring effect on Bears.
    I have Lots of kids and a dog is usually off across the Tundra with them.
    In former years we kept all of the team we ran with us, year round, and one loose at a time, despite the other piss'd off barking..
    Since were not mushing for a few years now, we slack'd back to a couple dogs, and alot less fishing. Now that gas is 8$ a gallon again, were gearing up and training a leader, and looking VERY hard for a second, 'cause I often wonder *** that dogs thinking.~~LOL!!~~.

    If I were to go Moose Hunting, the dog would be tied , unless Im using aboat, and we would tie them there.

    It makes little sense to scare your prey into running, and Dogs have that effect, something good on Bears, bad on Moose..


    Dont worry, Akres has his own sense of Humor ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  6. #6
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    shoot the dog and eat that what the heck, cant taste to bad, probably like wolf.
    Semper Fi!

  7. #7
    Member rimfirematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    I dont think the moose care all that much about a barking dog around houston. There is alot of dog teams and what not up that way. Im sure they are used to the noise just like hearing 4 wheelers, and gun shots.

    Now if you were 60 miles back and hunting Moose that dont live in an urban environment than yeah, the guys probably leave the dog at home.

    My wife pretty much makes me bring the dogs hunting. She hates dealing with them while Im gone. And I hate bringing them with me! Pain in my neck.

    Those guys yesterday were probably in my shoes. Cant leave the dog at Home, Hate to bring it hunting but what are ya gonna do?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Ill bet hunting next to those yahoos is not much fun and the dog is the least of the problems. Unless its a great area to hunt I would find another place. Of course if the barking dog was threatening in anyway I think a mans gotta protect himself....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    And on the fish and game saying to let animals just lay that sounds like a line of $h!t to me
    Me too. But....I talked to them today. They are Headhunters International Inc. Fish and Game issued them a permit to kill up to 200 bears in the Trapper Creek Area. Tomorrow (Tuesday) they are setting up to hunt the Oilwell Road Tract, using the hounds. Anyone wanting to see it in action should go out that way. Money talks, make no mistake about it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    have had the Chessy with me all season long except the fly in caribou hunt.. he has not been an issue with the moose and is figuring out what we do with them... in fact he spotted the bull in camp first Saturday night and listened great. he is a good companion and is in the second year of hunting with me. and in slow times he is good humor..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    "Headhunters International inc." running dogs on Bears that get left to rot, from Louisana.............Do they have a Guide?? ~~LOL!!~~ Gotta have someway to keep $$$ in this state, they are ****ing off a good resource..........must be political, 'cause there no better way to waste $$, but by experts........~~LOL!!~~

    Keep us posted Akres

    Heres a link? Maby the Texas chapter...... ( bet the guy plays a guitar too....)

    www.headhuntershunttexas.com
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  12. #12
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Me too. But....I talked to them today. They are Headhunters International Inc. Fish and Game issued them a permit to kill up to 200 bears in the Trapper Creek Area. Tomorrow (Tuesday) they are setting up to hunt the Oilwell Road Tract, using the hounds. Anyone wanting to see it in action should go out that way. Money talks, make no mistake about it.
    Did you see the permit? Sounds fishy to me. Even the pred. permits have to salvage the hides atleast. If it is legit they are stupid for not selling the hides. Still doubt the story is true though.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Did you see the permit? Sounds fishy to me. Even the pred. permits have to salvage the hides atleast. If it is legit they are stupid for not selling the hides. Still doubt the story is true though.
    Didn't see the permit. They plan on keeping the hides, as they brought a taxidermist up with them. They were caping out a Moose today. Take a drive out in the morning and see for yourself.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    C,mon, how can you say no to that face?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  15. #15
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Sounds like B.S to me too, but if its real, channel 2 auta be running a clip on it at 6:00....

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    channel 2 auta be running a clip on it at 6:00....
    Geeeeeezuss, channel 2 couldn't find their backside with both hands and a flashlight. They are a weather station, that's about it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

    Keep us posted Akres
    Welp,
    I was told there are less bears now in Petersville. They are still at it, so it must be pretty productive.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    There is a group of non-residents from Louisiana up here right now running hounds. They told my nearest neighbor that fish and game issued them a permit to take bears. They also said fish and game told them to shoot as many as they wanted, no need to even skin them, shoot them and leave them. Dunno....... but mine stays put where I want him.
    Res, you are usually a source for fairly reliable info, but I can't believe F&G would say they could leave em lay. That would not only be against the regs, it would be wanton waste and disgusting. If what you say is true, we should all be forming a line outside Rossi's door forcing him to put his SFW hat back on and leave the premises..because it would truly be a travesty what is happening at BOG and F&G.

    200 bears??? What the "F", over.....

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Res, you are usually a source for fairly reliable info, but I can't believe F&G would say they could leave em lay. That would not only be against the regs, it would be wanton waste and disgusting. If what you say is true, we should all be forming a line outside Rossi's door forcing him to put his SFW hat back on and leave the premises..because it would truly be a travesty what is happening at BOG and F&G.

    200 bears??? What the "F", over.....
    Merely stated what I was told. Never asked to see the permit. But as of now, I was told they are going to keep the hides, so all is not lost. They were issued the permit, I assume, because of the problems in the area and hunters are either incapable or not not willing to shoot the bears, so they are bringing in the hounds. These guys are Professional Hunters that travel worldwide to rid locals of problem critters of all sorts. Obviously Fish and Game must be getting calls from the locals in the Petersville/Trapper Creek/Oil Well Tract area to do something. They have, so it would appear to be on the up and up. I doubt that they actually get all the permit allows, as the houndsman said it usually takes about an hour to get the bear, after the hound is put on a fresh track. Interesting new method of hunting and I am eager to learn more about it. That land is flat and brushy, so it makes bear hunting difficult for most folks. I reserve comment until I see how it shakes out with their success or failure.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    I didnt mean to make it sound like you were misleading us, I was questioning the no salvage thing and the total # of bears. I dont live in the Trapper Creek/Petersville area so can't comment on the bear density, although I am usually underwhelmed by the reports people give about how many bears are in an area sometimes......but man, giving some outta staters a permit to kill 200 of our bears just rubs me the wrong way. Are we talking brownies? I'm curious what a 8 foot boar growler does when a dog tries to chase it....Them dogs will be earning their Ol' Roy, that is for sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •