Thread: Delta Youth Hunt Success!

Default Delta Youth Hunt Success!

I'll add more to the story when I have more time later tomorrow, but for now here are a few pictures and a quick rundown of our Delta Youth Hunt this weekend with my 11 year old niece, Sydney. She was excited about this trip all year and had been practicing quite a bit with my .243. She proved her marksmanship and took her first moose at 75 yards on the second day of the hunt. There were 7 moose in this herd, including one 36" bull, but we had antler restrictions to abide by. There was one large bull out there, but we couldn't get close enough to verify his size, but he looked like he would easily pass the 50" mark. The moose hung around the area the next day, so if we would have been more patient and willing, we might have been able to get him.

Regardless we had a phenominal hunt. Great weather (too warm at times) and a great family time. It was me and my brother, our dad and my bro's oldest daughter, Sydney. I plan to work up some video later on to put on here. Sydney put a perfect lung shot into the moose, but since it was headed to the trees, a backup shot from my brother was taken, and Sydney got one more shot, neither of which were needed after watching the video.

Sydney was a real trooper. No complaining, except for a little bit when she was out of breath from hauling some of her moose out. She helped out around camp, and I already knew this, but she has a great personality and is a joy to be around. I'm so glad I got to be part of this moment in her life. This was one of those hunts that will go down in the memory banks for life. This is the second critter this year that me, my dad and my brother shot in this field. We got dad's bison out there in February as well. Thank you Panoramics!

Nothing better than helping a young hunter find success like that. Absolutely great! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for setting aside time out of your own hunting season to help out a young hunter.

Man thats great tell her congrat!

Sweet! Sounds like you had a great time!

Way to go!! that is great to see and there is nothing better than seeing a youngsters success.

Well done Sydney & Gang!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Talk about one sweet family hunt! Congrats Sydney!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

great Job Jerod, nothing like getting the season done.... congrats to syndey!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Most excellent, and a great caliber for her.

Carry on!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Awesome! Congrats to Sydney and your family!

Here is the story my brother e-mailed out about the hunt. I corrected a couple of details and added some pictures off the camcorder. When I find my cord, I can edit up the video and post it, but it'll be a couple of weeks.

Sydney's name was drawn for a moose hunt in the Bison Range Youth Hunt Management Area this year. This is a hunt designed for children and their dad's (or mom's) to go out and shoot a moose, and only 10 kids names are drawn once a year. When we found out that she won the drawing permit, we took her out to the shooting range and got her practicing on a .243, kind of a small caliber for moose, but potent enough to put one down. After multiple times out at the range, she was shooting within 3-6 inches of the bullseye at 100 yards. After a trip to the Sportsmans Warehouse, we headed out with Jerry and Dad on the 17th. We drove down with Jerry's cargo trailer in tow (made an excellent tent) and pulled into Delta around noon. We drove out of Delta and headed about 25 miles east to the Panoramic and Gerstle Fields (these are the two fields that we could hunt on, a combined total of 6380 acres). We could drive to them, but we weren't allowed to drive on them for this hunt (although there are vehicle trails all through them). After we dropped off the trailer on a large gravel pad (we were about to drive on the trails to the field) I drove the truck out to the SW corner of the Panoramic fields where we parked the truck next to the edge of the field, and we hiked in. The fields are set up as aisles, picture your local shopping center were there's aisles of food, they would be the treelines, in between them would be the fields. Not 150 yards from the truck, we spotted a lone cow moose down one of the fields. As we were looking at that one, Jerry spotted another cow moose (kinda skinny, we could see her rib cage) only 100 yards away.

We passed on both of them, deciding to move along to try and find a bull. After about a mile of walking, we headed back to the truck and drove back to get the trailer. The Gerstle fields was about 10 miles from the Panoramic, so we decided to check out that field. I was able to pull the trailer right to the edge of that field, but we saw very little moose sign when we got there, so we headed back and drove to the Gerstle Campgrounds set up camp. There was another entrance onto the Panoramic fields from the East side, so we drove out there and waited for a few hours. Jerry and Sydney built a teepee as we waited for the evening, but all we saw that night was another group of hunters. We drove back to camp, had a nice dinner and went to bed.

The next morning, we decided to pack up camp and head back out to the Panoramic fields. We pulled into the same area we were at the previous morning and dropped off the trailer next to a good sized firepit. After off roading through the trails, we arrived at the edge of the fields once again. We walked the same distance we did the first morning and looked down the field and saw nine moose (one big bull, two small bulls and the rest cows). The fog was in pretty thick, but we could make out the bodies of the moose.

Dad, Jerry, Syd and I walked down to the next field aisle and saw two more cows in that field, so we walked along the tree line hoping not to be seen, but they spooked and took off into the woods. The rest of the herd went into the woods with them. We walked back and found a different group of a half dozen moose down one of the aisles. We went over to the first aisle were there were no moose and walked down that treeline until we were within 100 - 150 yards from the moose (they were on the other side of the treeline, the treeline is only about 30 feet wide). There was a pile of dirt and a few spaces between the trees that Sydney got set up on. We were working slowly down the row of trees when we saw a 36" bull run a couple of cows towards us. We got on the pile of dirt and had Sydney lay down in a prone position and waited for one of the cows to present a shot. The bull was definately not legal. The cows knew something was in the woods and were staring at us, but curiousity brought them closer. The largest cow of the bunch came up to 75 yards away and Sydney fired off a round and hit her directly in the vitals.

As the cow ran for the far tree line, I fired my .30-06 and hit her in the rear to imobilize her, but it didn't matter, she was already going down. Sydney fired again and hit her slightly back, but it was quartering towards the vitals. She was already falling over from Sydney's first shot though.

After a bear hug from me (couldn't help myself, I was overwhelmed with pride!), we headed towards the kill.

The other moose were still standing there, watching us for a minute, then they all turned and walked into the woods.

We walked over the moose after making sure the guns weren't loaded and all safetys were on. Sydney wanted to gave thanks to the moose, and after a few photos, we started carving up the moose.

Sydney wasn't squeemish what-so-ever, she dove right in and start cutting up some of the meat herself. After a few hours, Jerry and I hiked the rear quarters out on backpack frames to the truck, dumped them in the back, and walked back to the kill site (about 1/2 mile or so). We loaded up the front quarters, and had Sydney's red wagon (Radio Flyer, had wooden sides on it and air filled tires) with us, so we loaded that with one of the rib cages, backstraps and tenderloins. She hauled that to the truck, dad and Jerry took the front quarters, and I hauled back the day packs, guns, and some other stuff.

After we all got to the truck, Jerry, Sydney and I hiked back to get the last bag of meat, and to get the hide that Sydney wants to make into a rug for her bedroom (too cool). We all hiked back to the truck and drove back to the camp site. After setting up the camp, the carving tables came out and all of us went on to carving up the meat and getting it wrapped in saran wrap and paper.

The hindquarters, tenderloin, and backstrap were processed out there, and we were hoping to drop off the two quarters and the rest of the meat to the processers (Delta Meat and Sausage). Sydney was helping Papo wrap up the meat, and before we knew it, Papo was working on getting dinner started, and Syd was doing all the wrapping in saran and paper, taping it up, and writing on the packages what they were, it was like she was on a controlled sugar high, she was chatting non-stop, laughing, and having a great time! After everything was processed, into the coolers they went, and after a quick trip back to the kill site (looking for coyotes or bears), we had dinner and went to bed.

It was about 25 degrees in the morning, so we hustled to start a fire. Jerry hiked back out to the kill site early in the morning, and dad was getting breakfast going. About 8:30, I drove out to get Jerry, I saw about 5 or so moose in the same spot Syd got hers. I waited in the truck a bit and kept hearing shotgun blasts. Jerry hiked back to the truck holding three grouse he had shot. I had already picked up the two he shot on the way out to get him (he shot them and had they lying neatly on the side of the road). We headed back to camp where I had to pry Sydney out of bed with a crow bar, she didn't want to move, but finally got her out. I stoked up the fire and we had a geat breakfast. We packed everything up, loaded up the trailer, chatted with another hunting party, and away we went (it had warmed up to 50 above and was still climbing by 11:30 am). We drove to Delta Meat and Sausage to try and drop off the meat, but they were closed until Monday, they were up their eyebrows in meat from other hunters, so the appointment I made for Tuesday may have to work for us. I'm going to see if I can get it delivered, or Liz, the girls, Cody and I might drive out there on Saturday and drop it off, then we can show Liz and Kristin where Sydney shot her moose, and since we're just looking, I can actually drive to the kill site.

awesome - mine are 8, 6, and 18 months - almost time! well done guys!

Man, that is among the best hunt reports that I've ever read on here. Absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing.

Default Great hunt wouldn't change a thing

My son shot a cow on gerstle field in the same youth hunt this year. Truly a great opportunity. Had about a mile and half packout. The moose were on the opposite corner from the entrance. The pull behind walk cart saved us(another great suggestion from a forum). Shot her about 3pm. He passed on a cow in the morning and we saw another cow with a calf. Fish and game in delta junction told us all the access points to the field and we opted for gerstle(didn't see anyone else the one day he hunted. Stalked to within 50 yds before pulling the trigger/used shotting sticks(another great suggestion from a forum).

Way to go Sydney and all the helpers! Wonderful experience - thanks!

Simply awesome report, what a great state we live in that offers family opportunities like this. Congrats to Sydney and her support crew, will be some fine eating this winter. Tell Sydney that "Alaskan Girls Rock"

Well Done!!!!

Steve