Thread: who is having success calling in Moose?

Default who is having success calling in Moose?

Moose calling, for me, has been pretty unsuccessful. I usually can call in one bull per season. Always a non legal one though of course. Granted my hunting grounds are pretty well known and get pounded hard. This year I have not managed to call anything in. I did have one grunting at me but he never came out.

How about the rest of you guys, do you do good calling?

My first responder for this season was only this morning, and here it is the end of the season. The warm weather seemed to have retarded our local bulls' love interests this year. Anyway, I had an interested party that kept getting closer and closer to me as the darkness and fog lifted. And then my son, who didn't know I had come down to the meadow (I told him I was going to another place), started to call behind me... calling me, I might add! That seemed to shut the amorous bull down completely since I got no more responses. My son and I had words over breakfast later... but really, my fault I guess.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i think they got new providers... i have not been able to call one yet.. but they do keep stopping by any way.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I called a small bull out yesterday in Delta. The bulls were scraping pretty healthy in the woods. We saw one possibly 50+"er but couldn't verify and get close enough for a shot from the youngin'. We didn't try too much harder before deciding to put down the next legal moose we had the opportunity at. I still got out there after the deed was done and played around a little. Seems they are more spooked by calling right now than interested. Did see some herds of up to 12 moose though. Story and pics to come...

just got back tonite from a twelve day moose hunt....we called in somewhere between ten and twelve bulls...killed four...seems they were coming in every night we called....
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Hunted Saturday on Ft. Rich pretty hard until Dark to try to get one in bow range for the wife.... Called, called, called and called some more.. Moved, and yep.. called again.. No response, no grunts, notta.. havent seen a moose yet on base let alone any bull.. Only been 2 times.. found only 1 area that actually had allot of moose sign in it.. and no bear sign. We'll give it a go later in the week or next weekend..

I called in a 60" on the tenth which is usually the day they start responding.......they don't respond rapidly during the heat of the day....cold days are much better.....I have had bulls take 8 hours to get to me as they lay down in water or stop in shade to cool down....most hunters have moved on by then.

My brother in-law called in two bulls Saturday the 18th at first light -one small and one 56" (another bull for the freezer).

I have found there are several reasons why a bull may not come in, here are a few you may consider.

Just because your making a call doesn’t mean a bull will come in, there have been lots of times when I was calling in my favorite swamp and could not call in a bull. I then went into the brush and found a bull waiting for me to come to him.

The call you are using may not be the right call for the bull in your area, at that time let’s say you are making a cow call, saying “hello” or is it the “I need a boy friend NOW”. A small bull may not be interested in love. I have also found even a big bull may not be interested in a cow and only wanting to fight. So you have to listen to what the bull is saying, assuming you have good hearing. Good hearing is extremely important when calling moose.

Not all areas make for good calling, wind, river noise all limit the distance a bull can hear you call, and of course there may not be any bulls in your area.

I have known of hunters that make really bad moose calls, one year I was trying out a new way of making a cow call and I scared a cow that was 100 yards away. She ran over to see what I was, let out a danger call
    And ran like hell. I never used that call again.

One other thing, I found out in the last few years a bull will respond during my call or at the very end of the call; hence I could not hear the bull and my partner could.

When we say a bull moose we think all bulls fit one mold in the real world you are calling to four different ages of bull depending on time weather and attitude of the bull, so one call does not fit all.

Or was it just to warm?

Is moose calling as complex as I make it sound, of course not; if your not getting a bull to come in you may rethink what you are doing.

To answer your question I have called in several bulls and one cow, last week.

I have had them come in. In fact last year I called in several bulls (all sub-legal), 3-4 cows, and 1 other hunter. This year the locals just look at me like I am crazy when I try any calling, and the Camels don't seem to care...

Hunting in 14C the last couple of weeks, I called in one sub-legal bull twice, once to the point where I had to stand up, wave my arms and yell at him to get him to go away. For a second, he looked like he was going to lunge at me from about 20 feet away. Once I reminded him just who is at the top of the food chain around here, he reluctantly went a short distance away and started to feed, I guess showing me that it was really his idea to leave and that he wasn't worried about me. I was using bull grunts, and although there were other animals in the area, he was the only one that responded.

what are ya'll using this time of year bull grunts with brush thrashing or just cow calls

I called in a decent bull on Friday. They don't seem to be responding to cow calls here around Anchorage yet. They are definitely responding to scraping though. With the rut kicking into full gear, they should be responding any day now.

dave

I called in a sub legal bull in unit 20-A on 9/15 and the morning of 9/16 I called a legal bull in from 3/4 of a mile away and we harvested him. I used a cow call for that one and the sub legal which was about 30 inches came to some slight scrapes and light bull grunts. I believe the small one was just curious who was in the neighborhood but the one we shot was rutting and stinky and was intent on finding the cow that was calling.

By the way I stopped calling him after only about 4 long calls and he had the exact spot pinpointed from that far away. I think it is our human nature to be over zealous and to call way too much. They know their own area and they will respond when and if they want.

I called one in on 9/9, it was the only one I have called. It also was the 1st time I called and he was legal.

My neighbor, who called in two bulls this year, used exclusively cow calls until he had a bull in sight, but out of range and then raked brush for a few seconds and in he came. Then, of course, he was about 40" with one brow tine on one side and two on the other...define frustration!!!
    Anyway, I am going to follow his example and see how it works tonight.

My son Talon and I took a hail Mary trip to the Denali highway this end of the season weak-end to see if we could see some nice scenery or maybe get lucky and call up a dumb little spike Moose willing to hang around despite the hoards of hunters that invade that area. Saturday night at last light, this guy showed himself at 250 yards and stood still long enough for me to see 4 brow tines on one side. Ma6.jpgn I'm lucky!!!!!!!! Calling works! I could see 15 cars and 5 camps from the spot I shot this bull. Bull grunts and brush raking brought him right to us.2.jpg

Since the first week of September I have had bulls responding, but stalling out using brush raking and cow calling...my hunting pard shot a nice 3 brow using cow calls only. He said that bull came directly out of the brush head down and ready for action....

first of all i know nothing about calling moose but i watched some videos and tried it...sort of with mixed results. I heard a moose grunt while we were bear hunting so my bro in law went to look for him. i did a cow call (i think) and out popped a bull about 80 yrds away he saw the boat and ran away so i called again and he turned and came back. the next night we watched a 50+ inch bull with two cows and tried to call him but he didnt pay attention. I raked a bush with an oar and a different bull came in grunting but unfortunately by the time he got closer it was too dark to see how big he was. Anyways it was fun and the good news is we didnt have to clean one. On a second note the wife shot her first bear at 100yrds with my .300 wm.