Thread: Want to learn.... in Fairbanks area

Default Want to learn.... in Fairbanks area

Hello,

To those that would read this I have lived in Alaska for 10 years and I have hunted and fished most of my life.

I am EAGERLY wishing to learn trapping. I have been keeping my eye out on books to read, just want to be sure they are worth while. Mainly I am looking for someone in the North Pole/Fairbanks area that traps to teach me. I will haul gear, help you set up, whatever it takes to learn my way. I am not asking for free locations etc. Just guidance on what gear works, what gear doesn't. What landscape is conducive to a good trapline etc. I will be your slave labor if need be to get the irreplaceable wisdom from an experienced trapper. Hopefully I can find someone whose done it for a good number of seasons who is willing to part with their information. I have about 15 magazines on the subject. I just believe there is no substitute for real life experiences.

Any information is helpful. If there is no one interested, maybe at least give me book names that are truly worth reading. Anyone can write a book, but that doesn't make it good info.

Thanks in advance.

hello wolf0094, kudos to you for wanting to join the trapping ranks, might i suggest joining the alaska trappers assoc. great organization to belong to as they offer trapper how to clinics every once in a while as well as wolf trapping classes, im pretty sure you could meet someone there who would be willing to give you some pointers & answer any questions, also attend their springfling banquet, im not sure of the exact date but im pretty sure it's on their websites upcomeing events calander, as for books Hoofbeats of a Wolfer by Craig O'Gorman has got to be tops for coyote trapping & some of these methods could be modified for wolves, beavers, there's a multitude of great beaver men, Clint Locklear, Slim Pederson, just to name a couple, also join the national trappers assoc. subscribe to the trapper & predator caller they both offer a wealth of info within their publications, Minnisota Trapline Products is a great source of supplies their catalog offers 99% of everything you'll need to get started their # is1-320-599-4176 Tim & Nancy Caven along with their staff are a great bunch of people & can answer any questions you may have, hope this helps & points you in the direction you want to go, good luck to you & welcome to the trapline.

To piggy back on predatorhuntr's reply:

The ATA is hosting a general trapping school on the 16th and 17th of October at the Lost Lake Scout Camp if you are interested. I just read the article the other day and is listed below if you would like more information:

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...tance=outdoors

Thank you both ! I appreciate it greatly.