Thread: Whittier report 9-18-10

Default Whittier report 9-18-10

Launched friday evening, overnighted in Shotgun cove and the wind was blowing pretty good, even tucked deep into the cove like we were.

Woke up to cloudless blue skies, flat calm water, and low 60s temps. Perfect.

Checked out Eaglek bay, drifted, jigged and soaked bait and only one decent red snapper and one 34 inch ling cod (had to toss it back).
    Can't seem to catch a halibut this year to save my life..

Poked our noses into Derickson bay in Eaglek and that'd be a great place to overnight too, very scenic and protected. Stream wash at end of Eaglek was full of dead fish, about pink sized.

Truck and boat combined burned 65 gallons of gas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Nice report. I'm heading out there next week!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Yeah, I figure just a couple more trips and I'll be done for the year. Dang it.

On a side note; the heater finally used up the 5 gallon jug of diesel, Espar really sips fuel, I've been using it all season.
    "Dominion"

Hey Maast, just curious what size boat you're running and your cruising speed? I'd assume it's 29-30 feet based on the designation, but what's her beam? Don't mean to derail the thread, so you can PM back if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Hey Maast, just curious what size boat you're running and your cruising speed? I'd assume it's 29-30 feet based on the designation, but what's her beam? Don't mean to derail the thread, so you can PM back if you want.
    Check out his signature line...then a quick google search.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yeah, I'm on it. My brain swapped a couple of the numbers, so I was looking for a 2966 and for some reason couldn't find it......

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Sure, no problem; Its a pretty distinctive (odd) looking boat, especially with the bow raised rode locker, windlass, roller, and rocna anchor.

Its a 26 foot long by 9 foot 4 inches wide at the gunwale, if I include the transom extension and the bow pulpit its about 29 feet long. Its got a 8 foot wide bottom, the extra foot makes it really roomy, it feels like a much bigger boat than it is.

My most fuel efficient cruise is at 26mph @4500 RPM burning ~2.5MPG, WOT I hit 39 mph. The fuel usage is approximate as I dont have a fuel usage sensor yet.

My forward V is 35 degrees, the forward deadrise is 20+ degrees tapering to a 18 degree deadrise at the aft.

Its bow heavy, the 110 gal gas tank is 2/3rds of the way forward, but I found out that is intentional; so it has enough mass to smash through waves and reduce the cabin g forces in snotty weather. Its definately built with nasty waves in mind, it handles them great.

The only drawback with the deep V is that I'm tippy, I really have to keep my eye on my weight distribution.

Heh, like any new boat owner I can gabble on for hours about boats, if you have any more questions just ask.
    "Dominion"