Thread: Glenn St. Charles

Default Glenn St. Charles

Sad new today, Glenn St. Charles passed away. 90 some years young. Those who don't know him, he was pioneer in making bowhunting an accepted form of hunting. A founder of the Pope and Young Club, a contemporary of Fred Bear, elected to the Archery Hall of Fame, and all around great guy. Following in the footsteps of Art Young, Glenn's book "Bows on the Little Delta" is one of the first accounts of bowhunting in Alaska. Thought I'd spread the word. We have our bowhunting today thanks to the work he put in for us years ago.

sad day for archery and bowhunt world.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Very, Mr St Charels was inducted in the bowhunting hall of fame in 1971. He was 98 and has been a personal hero of mine for years. The Pope and young club and archery hunting would not exist in the united states with out him. When asked about the dificulty of hunting with a bow vs a rifle and the fact that so many folks who were/are unable to master the bare bow to the point of hunting proficantcy he said "many aspier, few achieve". Hunting in general could learn a lot from those words!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

definatly a sad day! I was lucky enough to have spent an afternoon with Glenn in 02....definatly humbling to be around him!

A very sad day indeed, Tradbow how fortunate you are to spend a day with a great man in the archery world.

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    Sad new today, Glenn St. Charles passed away. 90 some years young. Those who don't know him, he was pioneer in making bowhunting an accepted form of hunting. A founder of the Pope and Young Club, a contemporary of Fred Bear, elected to the Archery Hall of Fame, and all around great guy. Following in the footsteps of Art Young, Glenn's book "Bows on the Little Delta" is one of the first accounts of bowhunting in Alaska. Thought I'd spread the word. We have our bowhunting today thanks to the work he put in for us years ago.
    It was a sad day indeed! My copy of his book notes, just below his photo, "Enjoy Mort --- You've seen it all!" Beneath his signature, the date 3/26/04. You can believe that his book enjoys a very special space on my book shelves. Like the passig of a giant California redwood, his death leaves an empty place against the sky.

I too spent an afternoon with him back in the early 2000's. He retold me several of his past hunts and some were with Fred on the little delta. I hope that he passed peacefully and is now in the Great Hunting Land. He was a true pioneer of bowhunting.

I am very sorry to hear of Glenn's passing he was a great man that achieved a lot in life! I have enjoyed reading "Bows on the Little Delta" and am sure I will reread it again in the years to come.