Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd like my chairs back please

Default I'd like my chairs back please

I realize that this could be on the opinion forum or the camping forum but I'm putting it here. I did something stupid: I forgot that people- yes, even "outdoorsmen" have sticky fingers when it comes to other people's stuff. I left two chairs at the entrance to a camp site on Swanson River Road so my sons, who were coming from Anchorage, could find it in the dark and the fog on Saturday morning while I went off to do some calling. Well, they drove right past the entrance because by 8:00, when they found me, the chairs had been stolen!

"Oh look Fred, someone left some chairs for us to steal. Screw the spruce chickens! Let's take 'em and go!"

Anyway, that was stupid of me, and chairs are about $6 each, but man was I pissed and disappointed in the larcenous act.

Now, I realize that most of us on this site are ethical and honest, and that the perps probably don't hang out here, but.... maybe they do. So. if this was you on Saturday morning, Swanson River Road, and you had a lapse in honesty, and you would like to come clean, drop me a PM. I will not berate you nor even question you... maybe we could even arrange a drop off place.

Sucks, man. I feel for ya. While we're at it - to the person who took two sets of snowshoes I had stashed for the afternoon near the undeveloped trail that goes around Arctic Valley two years ago: Please feel free to keep the nicer set of the two. I have long since replaced those. I would like the old wooden ones, though. They were my first set of snow shoes my dad gave me when I was 8, and they have some sentimental value. Many thanks.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Sayak, is the Swanson river near the Koyukuk river???

The theft is getting out of control based on alot of posts I have read this season. I also fell victim of theft while in the field 2 weeks ago. Someone stole my gas can that was FULL off of my trailer.Luckily for me I grabbed the wrong can when I left home and that one was full of pre mixed 2cycle gas so I hope your rig blows up. But what if that had been my lifeline gas that I needed to get me back out of the field what is it F you I will leave you stranded while you I take your gas. This stuff kills me and most of the thefts I have read about and heard of this year have been pretty low dollar stuff. Gas cans, Chairs, Ratchet straps give me a break. I could rant about this forever but I wont. Hope you get your chairs back and I still hope whoever stole my gas rig blows up.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Sayak, is the Swanson river near the Koyukuk river???
    Nope, you card. And thus my point in that thread that having to live among low-lifes, no matter where you may reside, is an equal opportunity employer.

Still I think that dishonesty and theft (and a lot of other bad behavior) is on the rise. Though there has always been thieves, we live in a "me first" world which is often devoid of such simple values as: "if it is not yours, it is not yours". Consequently, lots of stuff just seems to walk away if we are not careful. Sad, but true. Keep your eyes on your stuff!

the "land of opportunity" is alas, by definition "the land of opportunists" also....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Set up a couple more chairs and sit back a couple hundred yards. About the time they reach for them let off a few rounds and watch em pee their pants!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Set up a couple more chairs and sit back a couple hundred yards. About the time they reach for them let off a few rounds and watch em pee their pants!
    Id almost pay money to see that lol. Its sad how people will stoop as low as to steel lawn chairs. Next time maby try getting some Land marker steaks or somthing that you can stick in the ground and tie a Red or orange rag or somethintg on it so its not so tempting to steal. Sorry to hear about your situation I know that when I go out moose hunting down burma/pointmac there are some trails I hit up and It makes me a little scared to leave my truck behind because im afraid some punk is ganna break into it.

How much is the reward ???

A 6-pack of your beer of choice (w/in reason). Why, do you know the perp?

Chaps me raw, to read of this kind of thing happening. So petty, yet so deliberately wrong.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Premixed...

[QUOTE=Bsj425;806468]...Luckily for me I grabbed the wrong can when I left home and that one was full of pre mixed 2cycle gas so I hope your rig blows up...QUOTE]

That would be priceless.

Good luck getting your chairs back, Sayak.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    How much is the reward ???

If you know who took 'em, and turned them in - doing the right thing would be the reward.

I feel for ya sayak. I had a pair of Nikon binos stolen a few months ago out of my truck.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Hey Sayak, were they blue chairs?

AK45.jpg

AK48.jpg

If so, can you pick them up somewhere near Fairfax or Dulles?

BTW, I agree with you completely, and I was just kidding. That was my guide's chair (or so I'm told) and we were constantly silently waiting for the sitter to need to go to the head or mess with his gear or fish or something to steal it from each other.

When I was in college, the guys across the hall one year kept stealing our newspaper. I knew it, but they would always do it at about 3am when we were asleep. Finally, when I had an all-nighter, I waited for the newspaper to arrive. I punched two holes below the newspaper crease, tied a string through them, pullled it under the door, tied it to a set of metal measuring spoons, placed it on a chair above a pan, put my S&W Model 29 in my shoulder holster for effect, and waited for my rigged "alarm" to go off. At about 3:30am, I heard the clanging of the spoons into the pan, and immediately opened the door to see the thief on his knees looking up at my shouldered hand-cannon. He thought he was going to die as he promissed never to do it again. I told him that I would assume, from then on, that any missing newspaper was in his apartment. None went missing after that.

I don't know the area, Steve, but depending on the I.Q. of the person(s) who took the chairs, it could just be a matter of "Oh lookee here, someone left these chairs out here, guess they didn't want 'em."

And I ain't never seen a good camp chair that sold for six bucks either <grin>.

Nothing lower than a thief!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to hear some stories of caught slime. Tar and feather them and post their pictures on the front page.

I have had stuff like that stolen and even one year had 20 galloons of gas and cans stolen. I knew who took the gas but didnt see them until the next year and the look on his face was my reward when I called him on it. The reason was he needed the gas to get out (like I didnt) so I asked where my cans where that had my name and phone number on them and he admitted to throwing them over the side of one of the hillsides. All kinds of people out there. I am 35 and wish I could have been around at least that long ago to see what it was like. I was raised to respect other hunters and there property and I wasnt worried about the other guy but was scared of what my old man would do to me!

Nah Sayak, don't know the perps.

But if they were really cheap, maybe some local took them to a trash bin, cussin, thinking someone was 'littering'... ???

They were new and in good shape, I'll have you know.

When I buy a China-made chair I drill out the pivot pins, which always break, and replace with bolts, washers and nylocs. They last years that way... or would have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast