Thread: Casting my own and new at it

Default Casting my own and new at it

Hello all,

I've got the basic melter, molds, etc brand new and waiting as soon as I get home from hell here in the big sandbox. If anyone in Anchorage is going to cast some bullets after the first week of Nov, and wouldn't mind, I could use a mentor to get started. I already reload, so I think I'd catch on quick if you would let me watch once and give me important tips.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Hello all,

I've got the basic melter, molds, etc brand new and waiting as soon as I get home from hell here in the big sandbox. If anyone in Anchorage is going to cast some bullets after the first week of Nov, and wouldn't mind, I could use a mentor to get started. I already reload, so I think I'd catch on quick if you would let me watch once and give me important tips.
    Thanks
    There a lot of very good folk with a whole lot of know how in regards to making bullets. I'm betting someone in Anchorage would be glad to teach you the ropes!

Thanks on behalf of all of us for being in that big sandbox. We do appreciate you guys over there more than you know!

If your'e using wheel weights to cast from, the most important tip I can give is to get your mold up to casting temp before you start casting. If you start with a cold mold, you might have to cast 100+ bullets before the mold gets up to temp and you get complete fill out. WW's like to be cast hot, and from a hot mold. They make great bullets, just remembe, if they aren't coming out of the mold frosty and completely filled out, you need more heat.

That and turn your raw ww's into clean ingots before putting them in your casting furnace.

Your machine should have come with some instructions, or at least your moulds should have. Most reloading books have instructions too. Do this is a well-ventilated area (not your kitchen or basement). Drop your fresh boolits onto a couple of folded cotton baby diapers. That'll keep'em pretty. Seriously, when they come from the mould they are still a little soft, so that prevents damage. Another thing you can do is drop them into a bucket of water, which is placed off to the side, on the floor, away from the pot of lead. Water and molten lead react explosively.
    There are huge threads on how-to's on heat treating boolits.
    Go here for more info:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Casting bullets is very easy, hot, messy, dangerous without eye protection but easy. ALWAYS wear eye protection. I always shoot mine with the cast diameter; I do not size them down. As an example, I use .311 sizer for my 30 cal cast bullets and lube at that diameter. They always shoot very well, very often and with greater consistency than store bought jacketed bullets. I also use 21 gr 4198 for 270/3006 sized cases and it never fails.... or at least it has not failed me. PS- thanks for your service and come home safe. J.

I would be glad to help you get started casting. I've been casting for over 40 years and have learned a few of the tricks to make the bullets look like they are supposed to. Give me a call when you get back and we can set up a time to play with some hot lead. Thank you for your service to our country. I hope I can be of some service to you. Roger 688-3849