Thread: Afognak Roosie Hunt

Default Afognak Roosie Hunt

Was wondering if anyone has had any success on Afognak hunting Roosies? What is the typical time of year that they rut? Did you find them up high or down low? Were they rutting and responsive to calling? I've hunted them in SW WA state for a number of years and the rut can be anywhere from the first week of Sept through the second or even third week of October.

I'm looking to go archery on the eastern part of the Island in the state park. Also, if anyone has any info on the registration permits that would be great too. I see its about a 12% chance to draw either the sept 20-Oct 9 permit or the mid Oct to late oct permit. I know of an area that there has been elk the past few years so I kind of have a general area in mind just hoping someone may be willing to share details of their hunt. (locations are not necessary )

Also are the blacktail bucks still up high in the alpine into mid Oct?

Thanks

Bowman,

Your first step should be to contact the area wildlife bio. in Kodiak (John Cry). He is very knowledgeable and will certainly fill you in on the info you are looking for i.e. Rut timing, and registration hunt availability ect. I have hunted raspberry once in the past and my experience was that the bulls are not as responsive to calling as they are in other parts of the country. I also know several others with the same opinion. having said that, that's not to say they won't respond to your calls just my personnel observation. Another gem I can offer is this, Stay away from the "opening day crowd" and yes there will be a crowd. When I was there a few years back opening day rolled around my partner and I were on the glassing hill watching three different sets of hunters descend on the same herd. It's a miracle no one was killed. One group got a bull, one bull was gut shot while running away. ( I know he was gut shot because the ass hole that shot him never went after him we watched the bull bed down and get up several times across the valley... to make a very long story short I ended up tracking this bull for 3 day to harvest and when we finally found him he was too rank to salvage) ... anyway my point is everyone has flown the area and knows where they are and rest assured they will all be trying to make a move at first light on opening day. If I were to do it again I would spend the time trying to figure out where the others were camping and make an educated guess as to what their plan was then set up an ambush for all the elk they are going to blow out of that part of the island.

so there you have it just my 2cents...

Ducks N' Dogs-

Thanks for the response and for the info on the biologist. I didnt know anything about John. I've heard the same things from a few different guys about the opening weekend...like you said it gets really bad especially on Raaspberry where it is more open. I'm looking at hunting a fly-in area on the eastern part of Afognak in the state park, then you have to hike in another 2-4 miles to get to the elk. With only 35 permits given for that time of year and being as remote as it is I dont anticipate having to compete with other hunters.
    Its interesting you spoke about the vocal habits of the elk when in the rut. They do the same things in SW WA State, Roosevelts are not like Rocky Mtn elk and do take a lot more learned skill. They do respond extremely well to brush raking and even if they dont respond vocally to calling (bugling in particular) they will come in to calling they just slip in silent. Many times if you locate them then try to bugle before you are close enough they will round up their cows silently and move them off leaving you scratching your head. The best way we have found is to locate them (many times by just listening for brush breaking), get the wind, sneak in close (within 50 yrds depending on cover) and bust a big bugle right at the bull with a good amount of tree shaking brush breaking, etc. Either he is going to run away or run at you, if you are close enough he will almost always not have a choice but to defend. If they are not talking at all the problem can be locating them.
    I will give Jon a call. You have earned my respect and the respect of a lot of other people for killing that gut shot bull...that is a sick shame and I dont want to have anything to do with hunting around other people.

Thanks again, and best of luck

Bowman,

Do you have a permit for this fall?

No I do not, I wasnt drawn this year but I am hopeful for next year. Its a 13% chance to draw which is not good. I was thinking about making a trip out there this November to hunt deer / scout for Sept elk sign but it just depends on how work goes. I just got back from a 8 day trip in SW WA Roosie elk trip. It was a good trip although I didnt kill anything I was literally on elk every day in the morning and afternoons.
    I dont think I would bother with trying to kill one after October it jsut gets really tough with a bow and I can sit on trails for only so long before going stir crazy.
    I live in SW WA state now but was born and raised in Alaska. Lived in Seward for a while.

AKbowman, sorry off topic, but where do you reside in SW WA. We moved here a year ago from the area. If you do call here I would imagine it won't be hunters answering back like the Elbe/Rainier areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinker View Post
    AKbowman, sorry off topic, but where do you reside in SW WA. We moved here a year ago from the area. If you do call here I would imagine it won't be hunters answering back like the Elbe/Rainier areas.
    Zinker,

It depends on where you are, almost all of the timber company lands roads are gated in SW. I hunt West of I-5 along the columbia river and hunt an area that is gated at the main gate. There are elk all over the **** place around here but I like to get in at least 3 miles and usually gain about 1,500' of elevation in order to get away from people. Listening for them is usally the key to successfully finding them. I've called in other hunters but it doesnt happen all that often.

I'm headed out today for my draw. I think in most years they have a registration hunt for the Afognak herds that is immediately after the draw hunts where they are targeting the rest of their harvest goal - numbers depend on success rate of draw hunters. I have a friend that used to live in Kodiak who's hunting party would get one every year. I think they were averaging about 75-80 miles covered on the ground per trip though. If you can afford to go on short notice I'm sure you could get a registration permit. Check the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBowman View Post
    Zinker,

It depends on where you are, almost all of the timber company lands roads are gated in SW. I hunt West of I-5 along the columbia river and hunt an area that is gated at the main gate. There are elk all over the **** place around here but I like to get in at least 3 miles and usually gain about 1,500' of elevation in order to get away from people. Listening for them is usally the key to successfully finding them. I've called in other hunters but it doesnt happen all that often.

Weyerhauser land? I can;t wait to get back and chase some of those bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakZach View Post
    I'm headed out today for my draw. I think in most years they have a registration hunt for the Afognak herds that is immediately after the draw hunts where they are targeting the rest of their harvest goal - numbers depend on success rate of draw hunters. I have a friend that used to live in Kodiak who's hunting party would get one every year. I think they were averaging about 75-80 miles covered on the ground per trip though. If you can afford to go on short notice I'm sure you could get a registration permit. Check the regs.
    I checked the regs and unless Im reading wrong the registration permits are following the second hunt in early November. I hunt with archery tackle so I need to be able to locate the critters from their calling. Its almost impossible to kill one of those dudes with archery tackle in the winter.

I dont have the time or cash this year so next year if I dont draw I might get a registration permit when I go to afognak in novemeber to deer hunt.

Seems to me from what i have heard there are elk in the same spots year after year on certain spots on the island. But that may very well not be true I dont really know.

Some Wayerhauser land yeah, a bunch of others right there diamond, etc. But yeah there are just so many elk. Last late season I was hunting a large gated area the second week of the late archery season and i was literally getting run off the road walking out one night by the elk. Cow only in the area I am hunting but there are adjascent areas where you can kill 3 point or better or antlerless. Getting a bull in the late season is EXTREMELY TOUGH. To be honest after the rut ALL the bulls make it down to private property, if you can find where they cross the timber co land to the private you can get one. It is usually a lot of work b/c they dont cross near any roads and you will have 1/2 mile to a mile of nasty bushwack to through blackberries and other nasties to get to your stand. The problem is most those areas are known and hunted by the locals.
    I just go behind the gates and hunt the cows. Theres just a ton of them to go after and they're better eating anyhow.