Thread: What a great day!

Default What a great day!

What a great day to blow off last weekend hunting pressure and take off on a hike!

Fall in the Interior has been gorgeous and we're hitting a bunch of trails in the last week or so. Donelly Dome, Lost Lake system, Black Rapids...

Anybody else been out?

I haven't been taking advantage of the amazing weather as much as I should, but I did get up Donnelly a couple times last week, and poked around Chena Hot Springs over the weekend. Good to see someone else in Delta content to go for a hike, not needing $15,000 worth of gear to go outside...

Traversed around Red Mountain yesterday; hot and sunny up top, and pea-soup fog a little lower down. Pretty cool juxtaposition, but not great for spotting animals.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Good to see a couple of others out and about.

Heathen- I know what you mean about the $15K in rigs. I go by the store and I wonder if WWII had this many tracked vehicles!

Not for me- I keep it pretty simple- boots, pack, my fat self and maybe my kid or dog.

Look me up sometime if you want to get out- I'm wanting to hit some more trails in the Black Rapids area. Good XC ski club in town too!

Yeah, figuring out reasonable routes into the alpine down the Rich in the AK range has been a bit of an obsession for me this season (the alder grows THICK down there!). My next idea is to try and get up onto the ridge between Castner and Fels Glaciers without too much bush-pushing. Might not happen before snow though (maybe if the weather's nice next Sunday - let me know if you're up for a tough hike). Have you been back to Red Rock Canyon? (just before Rainbow Ridge)

I've wondered about the XC Ski scene in Delta. I've never done it before, but I think I'll actually buy some skis this year. Where do you guys go? Last year it seemed like I was single handedly trying to keep the Quartz Lake trails packed down on snowshoes... You also mentioned some trails at Lost Lake. I've never been over there but I assume the trails have something to do with the scout camp. Any issues with private property or anything, or are the trails fully open to the public?

I've been back behind Rainbow through Red Rock and up MaCullum Creek- lots of ways to go- this time of year you can take a truck or jeep a good long way up the mountain on the trail if the creek isn't too high.

You're right- the brush grows thick down the Rich. Some spots you can get above it and most I've found involve creek beds. I've been a little way past Castner but never messed around Fels. I'll see what I've got going on but Sun. is usually pretty busy.

The Lost Lake I was referring to is actually connected to the Quartz Lake trails- first little lake on the trail to Moose Pond- great after work hikes and as you've found good in the winter. We ski and snowshoe there pretty frequently. There's also a good route that's not marked on the map that the Scouts opened last winter for the ski club that goes south of the parking lot and over the mountain and connects to the old logging road.

XC ski club meets once a month and usually skis to a rec cabin- Lisa Lake, Quartz Lake, the Univ. land in town. Hopefully we'll get some more destinations this year. i'll try to forward you the info for the online site. You'll give up snowshoes for flat ground once you try skis- no kidding.

Oh right, not sure why my mind jumped to the Lost Lake Scout Camp up by Birch Lake. I've hiked those main trails around Quartz and Lost plenty in the summer too, though I've never explored out that road/trail that cuts off to the right just before Quartz Lake. Where's the University Land that you refer to? Good trails?

University land is roughly bounded by the pipeline to almost Mil Tan (excepting Roy's and a couple of others along Mil Tan) and from Jack Warren to Nistler. Great place to ski in the winter- lots of trails if the wheelers stay off of them. In the summer its good to walk the pup around on but the amount of wheeler traffic is pretty high. Access is right off the ice rink down the pipeline or powerline cut.

Check out the area on Google Earth. Lots of visible trails- great for an after work, in town jaunt.