Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Air

Default Alaska Air

does anyone know if AA counts your rifle case as one of your 2 checked bags?

Default Rifle Case

They did the last time I took my rifle. Call them.
    Steve

Yes they do

Doug

Default From thier website

Transporting Firearms and Other Sport-Related Items
    Sporting Equipment
    The following items may be checked in lieu of one of the free pieces included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.

Archery Equipment—1 bow and 24 arrows
    Shooting Equipment
    One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
    One shotgun case with shotguns, or
    One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
    There is no limit to the number of items per case as long as they do not exceed 50 lbs., 62 linear inches.
    Ammunition—up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked, if securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm.

Steve

Default Alaska Airlines Checked Luggage

I'll re-iterate what the others are saying, you get two pieces of checked luggage on Alaska Airlines. A rifle or bow case may be one of those. If you want to avoid excess baggage charges, each piece must not be over 50 lbs.

Clearly you will not be able to get all your hunting stuff in two pieces of luggage. There are several choices as to how to handle the overage. You could ship it as excess baggage. I don't recommend this option, as excess baggage travels on a standby basis and may not make it to the destination when you do. This could cause a delay in your hunt. I've seen this happen many times. A better option is to use Alaska Air Cargo and ship your gear out two weeks prior to the trip. It will be waiting for you when you arrive and you can be on your way.

FYI, I am an Alaska Airlines trainer who has been with the company since 1985. I just double checked the above to verify and that's how it works.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Another option I always use is ship things in advance using UPS or another carrier, I like being able to track my belonings. I am not sure how this would compare to air cargo as far as cost goes.

Doug

When travelling back and forth to Alaska with a firearm, I normally have the gun case inside a large duffel from Cabelas. After the gun and case, I can easily toss in my sleeping bag, pad, hippers, trekking pole, fishing gear and some other misc. stuff before I reach the 50 lb threshold.

Throwing the gun in the duffel also helps conceal it from any potential sticky fingers.

Default Gun Case Travel

Place gun case in a Snowboard bag, room for other gear. Not uncommon to find used snowboard bags pretty cheap.

Within AK I think they still let you check three bags.

I've sometimes substituted my laptop size personal carry on with a 25lbs bag of salt.

Thumbs up Gun / Bow Caddy

Buckwing makes a "saddle-bag" type product that works on both gun and bow cases. I have one on my bowcase right now, and it will hold enough stuff to put you overweight, into excess baggage territory. It is very tough, straps onto your case, and has sturdy zippers that can be locked. Made of heavy cordura nylon, pretty sweet, even protects your case.

It is about $100. Check buckwing.com and follow links. I don't think you can beat it if you travel at all regularly with a bow or gun case.

Mort

Default thanks

I like the idea of using the Snow board case, my boy has one so perfect. We are flying from Fairbanks to Kodiak to hunt goats.

So is it 2 checked bags or 3? and one carry on

I've spent lots of time in the air and know many of the ins and outs, but I always make an effort to check to make sure all the rules are abided by. I never check additional luggage for the reason Michael pointed out (it gets shipped standby). If I am taking a trip with lots of gear, I take two carry-ons. I have NEVER had a carry-on weighed and have carried all of 25 pounds a few times. I have a huge gear bag that I place eveything in even if all I take is my pack, it keeps the loose straps and pockets from catching on other luggage and such and "sticky-fingers" looks a little more suspicious freighting a huge bage around. Treat the ticket-takers nice and they generally return the favor!

Default From their website

From Alaska Airline's website. (My Italics)
    http://www.alaskaair.com/

Checked Baggage
    You're allowed up to two pieces of checked baggage. Each bag can be a maximum of 62 linear inches (length + width + height) and may weigh up to 50 pounds. Excess baggage charges apply to additional pieces, overweight pieces between 51 and 100 pounds and oversized pieces of luggage.

No single piece of checked baggage may weigh more than 100 pounds. Any piece in excess of 100 pounds must be forwarded via air cargo or alternative means arranged by the customer.

Excess Size or Overweight Baggage Fees
    Checked Bag Weight Fee per Bag
    50 lbs. or less No Fee
    51-70 lbs. $25 (USD)
    71-100 lbs. $50 (USD)
    Checked Bag Dimensions Fee per Bag
    Less than 63 in. No Fee
    63-80 in. $50 (USD)
    81-115 in. $75 (USD)

Carry-On Baggage
    You're allowed one carry-on bag, which can measure up to 10" H x 17" W x 24" L (25 x 43 x 61 cm), plus one personal item, such as a purse, briefcase or laptop computer. At least one of the items should be stowed under the seat in front of you.

Default Alasken

Looks like we were typing at the same time! Sorry about the duplicate.

Default 3 checked bags (in state)

Also remember that if your flight doesn't leave Alaska you can check in 3 bags. We found this out last year when we flew from fairbanks to anch and on to king salmon.

Thumbs up golf club hard case

i always use a case i got from cabela's. i think it is for golf clubs but it locks so it is cool with TSA. i can take 2 or 3 guns, a couple rods, pad it all with my sleeping bag, pad and tent, and be under #50.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I have travelled to Ak two times for remote unguided/OUTFITTED hunts. I mention outfitted because it reduced what I needed to bring. I flew AA both times.
    I wore my hunting boots and coat. I had a small bag with books, snacks, tickets, etc in it as a carry-on which I kept throughout the flight, but, I placed most of my clothes into my backpack which I used as carry-on( each time the Attendants had me gate check my backpack)which they place under the plane near the rest of the checked luggage!
    I placed 2 rifles and several personal items-toothbrush,knives,etc. into my gun case.
    I was then able to fit all the rest of my gear into a Cabelas bag(about 20 gallons sized).

Default Some minor points on air travel

Some very good information posted here; I just wanted to add a couple of things.

One minor correction; AA is the two-letter airline code for American Airlines. The code for Alaska Airlines is AS.

Second, firearms theft, while a frequent concern among travelers, is actually very rare. During my entire 22-year career with AS, I have been based here in the Anchorage station and have never heard of even a single incident where a ramp agent stole or attempted to steal a firearm. That's not to say that the airline industry has never done that, but that I've never heard of it happening in Anchorage. That says a lot, because I believe that AS in the Anchorage station probably handles more sporting arms than any other airport in the country.

Finally, whether or not theft is a concern, you might consider purchasing a TuffPak. They look like a golf club case, or a case used for hauling display materials and such, but they hold several guns, plus miscellaneous gear.

Hope this helps! It's more info than what you were looking for, but others read this too!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I'll second the Tuffpak. I've used mine all around the world and usually can get everything I need, gun included, in it. You do have to watch the weight though since you can get so much in it. They also do not have a TSA accessible lock, but that's not a problem if it contains a gun since TSA is supposed to ask you for the key to a gun case. There seems to be some inconsistency about that rule, but I've never had a problem. I've also heard that a new Tuffpak version is coming out that does have a TSA lock.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Decoy bag

Devoy bags work great for you oversized gear, Can stuff an entire packed frighter frame and additional items. It all so has nice shoulder straps for carrying.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast