Thread: Illinois goose hunt

Default Illinois goose hunt

well I'm now living in Illinois. That said, its goose season and being on the Mississippi flyway its time to kill some birds. This was a great hunt and I couldn't be happier about the way Banks performed out in the field.

I was able to get out in the corn this morning with a few of my friends for a goose hunt and to find words to describe this hunt will be tough to find. It was non stop action from the time we got in the field to when the last bird hit the ground.

The best part of the hunt for me was seeing my young dog work. This was his first hunt and he was steady as a rock and made 16 of the 20 retrieves. At first, we knocked down a pair but couldn't afford to send the dog because we had more birds forming a funnel cloud above our heads. Once the landing gear was lowered we knocked 7 out of that group and had a cripple on the long side of the field. One of those seven landed about 10 feet from the row of corn I was standing in. Banks remained calm (no whining) however the hammer was cocked and he was shaking ready to get after those birds (I'm surprised he didn't break at this point). Banks took the line for the long bird and delivered to hand. The next retrieve was about a 150 yard blind retrieve. I sent him straight out in the field a gave him a whistle sit. Then he took the next cast like a pro that was stretched out for about 75 yards. At this point he was locked in on the bird and he managed to find another gear...that bird just didn't stand a chance. Even though Banks is on the smaller side (58 lbs) he was tackling these geese with a ton of fury and delivered every one to hand in perfect shape...even the cripples.

Unfortunately, the hunt only lasted 40 minutes...but the upside of this is thats all we needed to get our limit. Since this was the last day of early goose season now its a waiting game until October 16th.

Forum: Alaska Waterfowl Hunting
    Here's a place for discussion about duck, goose and other waterfowl hunting in Alaska.

yeah yeah yeah...what if the birds came from Alaska? Does that count? We did shoot two with bands...haha

Fair enough

hey nice looking hunt where r u at in illinois im from the I-80 LaSalle/Peru area i was up in alaska to we met some where i cant remeber where (maybe the bow cert). so you out of the military now? Its killing me stationed in Alabama and there is no duck or geese around me so i cant wait ot go back to illinois to deer and goose in november

Hey whats going on man. I believe we met while in Iraq coming back from R&R. I'm working in Skokie and I really like being in the Mississippi flyway. I can't wait for the 16th when I can shoot some colored up birds. Shoot me a line when you get up here in November and maybe we can kill some birds.

You should be able to find some woods ducks down in that area.

Richie

that might be it i just couldnt remember. but yes will def keep you updated on when i can get back that way. i live right in the illinois river also so we got that to hunt to also decent for bow hunting deer where im at. for down here heard of a few wood ducks and saw a couple bufs one day but havent saw any ducks yet this fall if you want to call it that. there are about a dozen geese that are at a park up the road and they fly over every onece in awhile might have to do a little pass shooting. well good luck and keep up the good work on them geese

I wish that I did some goose hunting when I was stationed in Illinois. I just started waterfowl hunting up here in AK a few years ago. I had a farm that I bow hunted on that always had geese landing in the cut corn fields. It is hard to get to the geese up here on the flats. It looks lke you had a awesome day. Congratulations!

Thanks B. Dog. Appreciate it. I'm looking to save up the meat from the season and get some turned into hunter sticks.

ugh dont it suck when hunts dont last long cause there are so many birds lol jk. nice hunt. i miss goose hunting