Thread: 375 winchester cast bullets

Default 375 winchester cast bullets

Will cast bullets messuring .379 be ok in my Marlin with miro-groove rifling or do I need to size them down to .376?

Interesting question. I'm betting they'll be enough oversize that accuracy will suffer, but that's supposition based on a bore size of .375. The only time I've "needed" .379's is in my original 1886 in 38-56. It's bore is in sad shape, and anything smaller keyholes at 50 and won't stay on paper at 100.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

They will be just fine as is. What mould did the come from? If it’s a Lee mould then I would run them thru the .378 die just to square them up, but if you are dropping from a Lyman or RCBS mould I would just lube them and shoot them without resizing.
    Also, if you managed to get them that big, they are likely pretty soft alloy (the harder the alloy the smaller the diameter will be when cast….or do I have that backwards…) no matter.. both my Marlin with micro-groove and Winchester prefer the Lyman 264 gn gas checked bullet sized at .379-.378 and driven to less than 2100 fps by Reloader 7. Crimp these just below the first lube groove for proper COL.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

The bullets in question are some that I bought off the internet from LazerBlazer?. They are 240 gr rnfp and are already lubed and sized to .379. they are bevel based and not gas checked. I have been doing a lot of reading about reduced loads(maybe shoot some squirrels with it) and have found a load using 10 grains of Blue Dot with these bullets @ just over 1000fps and will probably even resize some 30-30's for this messing around.

e45colt from this forum was gracious enough to fix me up with some good cast Beartooth hunting bullets to try in my Marlin for serious stuff( I'm all out) and I'm not positive but when I compared the Beartooth bullet to the pictures that Midway offers when ordering their molds it sure looks to me like the Beaartooth bullets are from the Lyman 264 gr mold. For these I did use Reloader 7 (35 grains if I remember right....this was in my Encore and they shot great). Can't wait to try em in the Marlin.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

yeah, that e45colt is a heck of a guy!

your reduced load will probably work fine, I didnt have any blue dot so went with unique for some reduced loads when I was fire lapping my marlin... you can also just use a case full of black powder if you want to try something different and fun. Fill it up with FF so that the bullet compresses the powder about a 1/16 of an inch.

regading the sizing of those factory bullets, I would try denting one with a fingernail... if they are soft enough that you can leave a mark in them, then I would just shoot them as they are. If they seem pretty hard I MIGHT think about sizing them, but would still probably just shoot them as is
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Like the .358 Winchester, the .375 Winchester is a cartridge that deserves more popularity. It is almost as easy as a pistol cartridge to load, esp. if using a Lee Loader. Please see author Ken Waters two reloading reports on it. It appears that Reloader 7 is the best powder to use? Only the most recent factory .30-30 loads have narrowed the performance gap? The brass seems especially stout; can anyone advise how many times they have been able to load a single case before having to retire it? What are your experiences with the Hornady 220 grain flat point bullet? Which is the best way to go with this cartridge- cast lead or jacketed bullets? It seems the former these days with the high cost of jacketed bullets, if one can drive them fast enough and have decent terminal performance
    (some expansion from a hard cast ).

Reloader 7 has given me the best results, but I have only tried IMR 3031, IMR SR4759, Win 748, AA2230 and AA2460 so I cant say that I have exhausted all possible powders in search of “the” best one…. But Reloader 7 performed so well that I just quit looking and messing around and went with it.

Brass is fairly stout. Have not worn any out yet and have perhaps 6 loadings on some of it.

The Hornady 220 gr shot great out of my Winchester but not good at all out of my Marlin. It is however far and away the most popular bullet for the 375 Win. I currently only load the 255 gr Barnes Original bullet or cast bullets from a Lyman 375449 mould. These are gas checked and when cast from WW alloy weigh about 277 gr. My target velocity for either of these bullets is 2000 fps.

Cant speak to terminal performance as I have yet to shoot anything with either…

Also fyi… COL is critical for the Winchester BB 94. Loaded rounds which are too long will hang up while in the lifter and tie the gun up… the Marlin 375 is more tolerant in this regard.