Thread: Anyone wanna help me troubleshoot my camera? Please?

Default Anyone wanna help me troubleshoot my camera? Please?

My XT on the P settin' isn't allowin' me to move my apature settin' or my TV settin' in the direction I want them to go to get the correct exposure. I can switch to manual, & it will allow me to go the full range of settin's...on Auto, it adjusts automatically, like it used to on P settin'...Is there something I need to do in the menu options to get this "stuck" out of the rut that I am in on P?

Thanks in Advanced...Marv

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    My XT on the P settin' isn't allowin' me to move my apature settin' or my TV settin' in the direction I want them to go to get the correct exposure. I can switch to manual, & it will allow me to go the full range of settin's...on Auto, it adjusts automatically, like it used to on P settin'...Is there something I need to do in the menu options to get this "stuck" out of the rut that I am in on P?

Thanks in Advanced...Marv
    With your XT on P mode, to change the lens aperture as follows (power switch turned ON): depress the shutter button just a little to turn the camera ON, and then turn the rotary wheel just behind the shutter button. Look through the viewfinder when you turn the wheel, and you should see the lens aperture about half-way (in the middle). On P you won't be able to change the lens aperture past a certain point, simply because P is an automatic mode. Now Av (aperture priority) is a mode that's semi-automatic, and still allows you to change any of the settings.

Why don't you try Av and see how that goes. Av allows to change the lens aperture, and your XT selects the shutter speed to match the lens aperture (depending on ISO speed). Tv is the opposite in that you control the shutter speed, and the XT will select the appropriate lens aperture (depending on ISO speed). Av and Tv are the best semi-auto modes since they give you full control of all the camera settings except as noted above.

Also keep in mind that depending on lighting conditions and ISO speed there are times when you won't be able to expose the photo properly unless you use a flash, or by extending the exposure time.

Why don't you tell us what you are trying to take photos of, first?

Thanks Ray! When I'm outside, I'd notice that all my photos were dark, (I'd hafta adjust brightness & contrast by 'bout 50%) when set on P. Then I noticed that when I depressed the button half way my TTL metering told me I was UNDER exposed by -2 (stops?) & then I'd try to adjust the values to get the correct exposure, & it woulnd't really let me do that, it would give me different speeds, but not enough to change the exposure to above -2...

Did you by any chance adjust the EV comp to -2?

That's the AEB function on the 2nd menu set of options? It was on a funky position yesterday I put it to zero yesterday & today, shootin' on P seems fine...

That's the AEB function on the 2nd menu set of options? It was on a funky position yesterday I put it to zero yesterday & today, shootin' on P seems fine...
    Glad to know that you solved the problem. Still, give Av a try. It's a much better mode since it allows you full control of all the camera's settings. For example, on P the flash pops-up automatically (if I well remember). Not so on Av, Tv, or M. In these modes, you press the flash button for it to pop-up if that's what you want. In other words, Av and Tv are a lot closer to M than P will ever be.

In the auto modes such as P, EV meter tells you when there isn't enough light to take the photo with the settings you have chosen.

No flash on P... & I do like Av & Tv, but if I go that route, I just use M...like tonight if it clears, I'll be usin' M for the moon shot.

AEB, auto exposure bracketing, and EV, exposure compensation, are two different features. RTFM.

Glad to hear you got it working.

So then maybe when my AEB was set below zero, it was causin' my P to under expose my shots...& not allowin' me to adjust for correct exposure...

If the AEB was set to something like -2, 0, +2, then yes, the first shot would be underexposed.
    If the XT can use EV in P mode with AEB, you can adjust the exposure of the first shot to 0, but the subsequent shots would be over exposed more than they would be if the EV was set at 0. The 3 shots would look like 0, +2, +4 instead of -2, 0, +2. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but this is what I'm getting from playing around with the AEB, EV settings on my Pentax K100D Super.