Thread: 18 Sep Hayflats report poor

Default 18 Sep Hayflats report poor

We had a great wind to our backs had 4 ducks come in before shooting things look good as I thought, but that FOG nuked us. Visibility was about 150 yards worst. The best was half mile visibility about 930. Did not see a single flock of ducks just 2s and 3s. We finished with 2 ducks. Heard in the distance a single Goose thatís it. Oh we had some divers swimming around 100 yards out but did not want to play with the Mallard deeks. Very little shooting at all Duck Lake sounded abandoned.

Yep, it sucked today. Not many birds flying at all.

Quote Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
    We had a great wind to our backs had 4 ducks come in before shooting things look good as I thought, but that FOG nuked us. Visibility was about 150 yards worst. The best was half mile visibility about 930. Did not see a single flock of ducks just 2s and 3s. We finished with 2 ducks. Heard in the distance a single Goose thatís it. Oh we had some divers swimming around 100 yards out but did not want to play with the Mallard deeks. Very little shooting at all Duck Lake sounded abandoned.

speaking of fog it was very fog at the jim area and idk what people think but some one was going around in their canoe and idk if they were lost or what but normally if you dont know the lake and its foggy you just follow the shore line. these people might have been jumping ducks or something. i could see about 70 yards total before 9 o clock and these guys in a canoe kept rolling out of the fog right in front of me and then disapear happend 2 or 3 times both an hour apart. not too safe for their own sake because people will be assuming no one is in front of them and when ducks fly in to their decoys and they shoot these guys could have been right on the other side of the fog line. next time follow the shore line so people who are trying to decoy birds can see you comming from down the shore line instead of popping up in their spread. sorry for the rant just irrating.any ways i ended up with 2 gadwalls pretty slow

I was kind of tentatively planning on going out to the hayflats tomorrow and try a bit of hunting. I recall in Cali when i was a kid in the 60's hunting the valley in the fog we would generally just spread out and stand in the fog, ducks would come whistling buy quicker then you could bat a eye. You had to stand with the gun up and ready and be able to shoot fast. It was really kind of fun.

Anyhow, my trip is cancelled. Started to get things ready and the boat trailer lights are not coming on, not any of them. Can't figure it out, test light shows nothing hot, tail lights on the truck are fine, but the big connection plug on the truck is dead and i spent a half hour testing everything I could find under it. Guess tomorrow I will spend more time on it. I could understand if it was one side or the other or the tail lights, but everything? Its like a fuse for the whole set up is out, just can't figure it out. Bud

Great time!..sunk the 14ter....a couple of guys came by and ask if we needed help..appreciate that..but we managed to bail, and flip the boat....finally made it to the portage area and just walked out in the open water...set up and saw about 10 ducks total...vis was horrible and the birds were not flying at all...heard very few shot anywhere. Dried all the gear..recocked and will return tomorrow.

Long day..but always a great adventure!...lol

Same on the Placier River. Very few ducks moving in the fog even when it lifted a bit. Ended up with two that I jump shot but overall a slow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Great time!..sunk the 14ter....a couple of guys came by and ask if we needed help..appreciate that..but we managed to bail, and flip the boat....finally made it to the portage area and just walked out in the open water...set up and saw about 10 ducks total...vis was horrible and the birds were not flying at all...heard very few shot anywhere. Dried all the gear..recocked and will return tomorrow.

Long day..but always a great adventure!...lol
    Just how did you manage to sink your boat. Hows the motor?

Dont think ya lost any gear, all i found was a spitter down below ya.
    Yea super slow on the 18th ended up with 4, one was a drake Canvasback tho.

Default Jimmy C Swamp

Piddled around Mud Lake in the fog for a while still getting used to the mini boat, the dog and the 60 year old motor. (note to self - bring more gas next time)

I saw about 20 birds in the four hours out there. Most were up high and hauling tail feathers to someplace else. Someplace I could not get into on Saturday it turned out. (see note about more gas)

Had a small flock of teal zip through the decoys while off loading some coffee. We had been surrounded all morning with yellow legs and other tweety birds when they came in so I did not ID them fast enough to react. It would have been a good stability test for the mini boat except for having my waders around my ankles.

What was totally strange was that as the mud motor boats left Gull Lake or the Beaver Dam area no birds rallied that I could see. I was expecting a few to jump out of the grass near the channel, but none did that I could see in the fog.

Did learn that I need to cover up the dog better since at least two pairs of mallards gave me a hard look but flared off. All I could figure out was that the blond mutt stood out too much. That and the hundreds of spawning silvers around us. Also need to dye the raffia to a darker color.

There was a guy that rowed a john boat out to the path to access the creek and set up. I felt sorta bad for the guy with all the boats running right through his spread, but then its a huge swamp and setting up in a traffic channel is kind of silly.

In all it was a good day to putz around in the swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Anyhow, my trip is cancelled. Started to get things ready and the boat trailer lights are not coming on, not any of them. Can't figure it out, test light shows nothing hot, tail lights on the truck are fine, but the big connection plug on the truck is dead and i spent a half hour testing everything I could find under it. Guess tomorrow I will spend more time on it. I could understand if it was one side or the other or the tail lights, but everything? Its like a fuse for the whole set up is out, just can't figure it out. Bud
    Check your ground off the truck plug and your ground on the trailer. Some trailers ground to the frame and the ground is carried through the hitch back to the truck frame. One loose wire and nothing works.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    speaking of fog it was very fog at the jim area and idk what people think but some one was going around in their canoe and idk if they were lost or what but normally if you dont know the lake and its foggy you just follow the shore line. these people might have been jumping ducks or something. i could see about 70 yards total before 9 o clock and these guys in a canoe kept rolling out of the fog right in front of me and then disapear happend 2 or 3 times both an hour apart. not too safe for their own sake because people will be assuming no one is in front of them and when ducks fly in to their decoys and they shoot these guys could have been right on the other side of the fog line. next time follow the shore line so people who are trying to decoy birds can see you comming from down the shore line instead of popping up in their spread. sorry for the rant just irrating.any ways i ended up with 2 gadwalls pretty slow
    I was out there on Sunday in my canoe but we didn't start moving from our decoys until well after the fog had lifted. I did see a guy row his boat out and set up right in the middle of the channel to the other lake.

Default Hey philobeddoe does this boat look familiar

boat is still running strong, been using it alot Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

pretty quite out there today.

Good deal, I am glad you enjoy it I told you it was a good boat. Been slaying birds? I still would like to go out with you down by 20 mile take care Jim