Thread: found some strange fossils

Default found some strange fossils

I found this in a pile of shot rock near chickaloon. any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like leaves and fern of some type, hard to tell from the pictures. Better stuff at the Jonesville mine area.

I have been to jonesville area and found some decent fossils, but these look completly different from the leaves and ferns found else where.

well i don't see a thing in the photo, but I guess that's just my eyes. There are lots of ferns and also lots of gingko leaves in rocks there, maybe that's it?

if you think it is novel, or if you just are wondering, take it to Anne Pasch, she is definitely one of the best southcentral AK rock gurus to talk with about it.

You can get ahold of her at the Alaska Natural History Museum (Great place if you've never been) on Bragaw St, North of the Glenn Hwy in ANC. Call to ask when she'll be in. She is no longer a professor at UAA but she is professor emeritus so her e-mail there probably still works, but go by the museum, and bring your kids (and your neighbor's kids) if you have them. Mammoth tusks, sabretooth tiger skulls, animal furs, rocks and gems of all kinds, etc. etc. etc. Hands on experience with everything. A great place.

Gingko leaf photos here:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/homesandg...o%20leaves.jpg

-Andrew

They don't look like ginko leaves to me. They look very worm ish to me. The reason I doubt that they are plants is that there is not realy any straight portions or branches. They are all fairly uniform width with rounded ends.

Thanks for the direction.

I really couldn't tell what they are either from the pictures.

If you can't reach the lady andweav mentioned, take them by Nature's Jewels on Arctic Blvd. in Anchorage. It is owned/run by Joe Turnbull. Joe is a real good guy and knows his stuff.

Does the rock fiz when you put vinegar or some other weak acid on it? It looks like a Marine reef fossil that Ive seen around. Possibly a coral. Find out if the rock is Limestone, that will be a good clue. Good luck!
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Couldnt tell from the picture what is there but I have found some rocks with seashells on them in Eureka..Cool stuff anyways.

Keep looking though...Maybe you'll find John Lusters' second dinosaur skeleton (the location of which he took with him to the hereafter) The first one John found was behind Chickaloon I believe. Both Ankleasaureus sp* if I remember right.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf View Post
    I really couldn't tell what they are either from the pictures.

If you can't reach the lady andweav mentioned, take them by Nature's Jewels on Arctic Blvd. in Anchorage. It is owned/run by Joe Turnbow. Joe is a real good guy and knows his stuff.
    I fixed it for you. Joe is a great guy and is very knowlegeable. You may have to go in the afternoon or on the weekend to catch joe. Katch Bacheller ath the natural history museum is also fairly knowlegeable.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Garnede,

I met Joe quite by accident last year when I made a trip to Alaska. He exemplified what I now think of Alaskans. He was very friendly and knowledgeable.

Worm casting , fossilized.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Worm casting , fossilized.
    It's possible. My guess is it is a pseudofossil or concretion. Basically that is a fancy word for saying that you have a rock with unusual patterns that look like a fossil, but it is not.

Looks like soft-sediment deformation to me BUT they could be "trace fossils" i.e. worm borrows. Soft-sediemnt deformation just means the mud was soft and ripped up and redeposited after a large storm, etc. and was later lithified (turned to rock).

Worm burrows or soft sed def