Thread: Steese Highway Ice Tower

Default Steese Highway Ice Tower

Anyone know what the deal with the Steese Ice tower north of fairbanks is? Is it going to be up this year? Can anyone go climb it or do you have to get permission somewhere?

The guy that does that is a real character. It's not open to the public but you could email him and ask him. Just do a search for Fox Ice Tower and you can find his page.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Really? I didn't know that it was a private ice climbing area. I thought that anyone could go and climb it. There are other places to climb in the Interior if you need suggestions, Woodman. There are some places towards Healy and there is some great climbing towards Valdez, too.

Oh... there are also books/pamphlets at Beaver Sports on climbing areas in the Interior.

This Friday is 50/50 Friday at 9am on Magic 101.1 for Beaver Sports. That's a great discount considering the cost of everything there. You can never just leave with the one item you went in there for. Even if it is in fact an ice climbing location book.
    Lurker.

COtoAK, I have that book, and have done routes near the park, around DJ, and in Valdez. I'm interested in the Steese Ice Tower because it is less than 10 minutes from my house. However, after looking at the website about the ice tower, I might just stay clear.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Really? I didn't know that it was a private ice climbing area. I thought that anyone could go and climb it.
    CO.. The ice climbing started after he got so tall and was using ladders to extend his water lines the first year. a group of climbers offered to HELP him in exchange for the privilege to climb there.. it is ALL on private land and permission is defiantly warranted. I see a lot of stuff for sale out there this season so it makes me wonder the status of it all...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    COtoAK, I have that book, and have done routes near the park, around DJ, and in Valdez. I'm interested in the Steese Ice Tower because it is less than 10 minutes from my house. However, after looking at the website about the ice tower, I might just stay clear.
    I don't know. I'd be willing to approach it with you if you wanted.
    I sold a good portion of my climbing gear the year I moved to Alaska and the rest of what I had left is sitting in a storage unit in back of a hotel in Vermont with my climbing partner's stuff.
    I'd be willing to get a harness and belay device if you needed a spotter, though. Maybe it's worth a try if the owner sees that there is interest of people being there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    CO.. The ice climbing started after he got so tall and was using ladders to extend his water lines the first year. a group of climbers offered to HELP him in exchange for the privilege to climb there.. it is ALL on private land and permission is defiantly warranted. I see a lot of stuff for sale out there this season so it makes me wonder the status of it all...
    Hmmmmm. I should take a drive over there. I wonder about the status of it as well.
    Lurker.

I don't know. I'd be willing to approach it with you if you wanted.
    I sold a good portion of my climbing gear the year I moved to Alaska and the rest of what I had left is sitting in a storage unit in back of a hotel in Vermont with my climbing partner's stuff.
    I'd be willing to get a harness and belay device if you needed a spotter, though. Maybe it's worth a try if the owner sees that there is interest of people being there.

Hmmmmm. I should take a drive over there. I wonder about the status of it as well.
    I haven't seen anything started as of last week. I just saw the guys e-mail on the website and shot him a message asking if he was building one this year and if me and some of my friends could climb it. I'll keep you posted.

*disregard, that e-mail doesn't work anymore

I haven't seen anything started as of last week. I just saw the guys e-mail on the website and shot him a message asking if he was building one this year and if me and some of my friends could climb it. I'll keep you posted.

*disregard, that e-mail doesn't work anymore
    Really?? It's not lookin promising at all, then, is it?
    Lurker.

Really?? It's not lookin promising at all, then, is it?
    Looks like I am going to have to figure out how to build an ice tower.

http://www.fairbanksgoldco.com/only-...he-ice-towers/

You might try contacting him through here.

Quote Originally Posted by outnaboutnak View Post
    http://www.fairbanksgoldco.com/only-...he-ice-towers/

You might try contacting him through here.
    Thanks! Just shot him a message. The website also explained what that dome was doing sitting next to the Steese. I've always wondered what was going on over there.

Just got confirmation from Mr. Reeves (guy who built the ice tower). There will be no ice tower this year.

Just got confirmation from Mr. Reeves (guy who built the ice tower). There will be no ice tower this year.
    *frowns*
    Did he explain why? Did you let him know that there are quite a few of us here in the community that would support that, pay, and maintain it?
    (sigh)
    Lurker.