Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killey River Caribou Teaser

Default Killey River Caribou Teaser

So a good friend of mine (forum member BDOW) drew the Killey River Caribou permit this year. Thinking that would be an awesome hunt to be a part of, and curious to see some new country, I volunteered myself to go along with him. Sharing the excitement, another friend who has his own plane offered to fly us in to a "secret" lake in the area and drop us off. (Let me tell you... that's the type of friend to have!)

Anyway, this all went down over a month ago. And my buddy keeps telling me he's going to give a full report on here to tell his tale. But so far... NOTHING. And frankly, I'm getting a little impatient. Having been there, I can tell you it's a tale worth telling.

I'm posting this here to try and guilt him to get off his butt to write up a report and post some pictures. Here's a couple pictures to keep you all on the edge of your seat...

As expected... we were in some awesome country.

hmmm... what's that down in the willows???
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

You know you can't so that to us!!!!

Hunted that tag last year, and I have to be honest; I Don't blame him for being tight lipped. Not one bit.

Great 'bou!!

Default Guilt

I was going to post about the hunt but its taking a lot more time than I thought it would to photo shop out the mountains, shadows, and other references that could give my spot away.

Just kidding. But only just a little.

The guilt has gotten to me. I'll post something soon.

Attached Images Attached Images

Well we won't wait too long or repercussions will fly. Is that a pair of long johns being used for a game bag?

Was there ever a trip report on this?

I don't think there was. It seems like a lot of people start stories on this hunt and then don't finish. I am guilty too. Also icb12 I don't know why anyone would be tight lipped about this hunt. If there is anything secret about it then it is the worst kept secret I have ever heard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I don't think there was. It seems like a lot of people start stories on this hunt and then don't finish. I am guilty too. Also icb12 I don't know why anyone would be tight lipped about this hunt. If there is anything secret about it then it is the worst kept secret I have ever heard of.

I know this is a very old thread but I was thinking the same thing. There are only a couple/3 lakes or so you can legally land on up there and they are all pretty well known. If you have access to a plane and have eyes in your head you would be able to see the caribou and decide what lake that would get you closest to them......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It looks like Harvey and Twin Lakes are the only two the refuge have open for aircraft. I'm considering this hunt from horseback and was mostly curious as to which lake you find the caribou nearest.

When was it that part of the herd was taken out with an avalanche........??? As I recall it was a large part of the herd. Was a lot of fat bears that year.

The majority of the herd has moved up towards Twin lakes in the last few years. Harvey Lake area still has some, but if you're planning on hunting in August or early Sept, Twin Lakes and surrounding area is the way to go. If you want more specifics, PM me
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

I have heard of several people over the years going in on horse from funny river road. If I still had horses I would definitely explore the country back in there but I have yet to hear anyone here take horses much further that the hiway trails... Anyhow I also talked with High Adventure Air the other day about what they saw this year and he had said a couple guys hiked in from Tust and were successful but man that would be tough. If I had to go back Twin lakes is it. Horse adventure up there would be amazing!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    It looks like Harvey and Twin Lakes are the only two the refuge have open for aircraft. I'm considering this hunt from horseback and was mostly curious as to which lake you find the caribou nearest.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    A while back this herd had gotten too big for the biologist and they had a cow only registration hunt (3 cows). Me and a friend sea kayaked down Tustumena Lake and hiked to above tree line starting from near the glacier. 13 miles up and back from the lake we shot 2.

Next year they had the registration hunt again. We came in the same way, except this time we borrowed a power boat to get down the lake. We saw nothing. Came out, called air taxis until we found one we could afford and could go that same day, and got flown into Twin Lakes, which is on the other side of the hunt area. Next day we shot 3.

That winter was the avalanche AGL is referring to. Killed quite a few of the herd and put an end to the registration hunts.

I've done it on horseback from the Tustumena side.
    I wouldn't do it without horses.
    Some years they are at treeline.
    The year we went they were 15 miles back from treeline.
    We went with friends who had horses and knew the area real well.
    My dad did bag a OK bull on his draw tag.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post

\_(ツ)_/

I don't see a compelling reason to share what I've learned with the world at large on the internet. Sorry.
    My knowledge will stay stuck to the bottom of my boots where I picked it up.

Happy Hunting.

I get it... I think. My point is that now having hunted this I cant imagine anything being secret about it, internet or not. Unless you have horses and or you are one BAD mother!!! you will fly to one of two lakes, land, setup camp, shoot caribou, fly back. On the other hand I totally get not posting about hunts on here, especially after seeing to BS ridicule some guys get. The AK Outdoor forums seem to be a real snake pit when it comes to that. To those that post anyway, good on ya.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    \_(ツ)_/

I don't see a compelling reason to share what I've learned with the world at large on the internet. Sorry.
    My knowledge will stay stuck to the bottom of my boots where I picked it up.

Happy Hunting.

Sorry in advance for continuing off topic.
    But I feel were raising up a generation on Google.
    Want to know the name of that song from high school but only remember half the words? Google it!
    How big is the world record halibut? Google it!
    Where exactly do I find a caribou to shoot? Google it!
    Where's a local berry patch? Google it!
    Why bother scouting or hunting for days/weeks? The internet forum will tell you where to go!
    I've seen people on forums get pissed off when there first post is where to find a good duck hunting spot within an hour of their house and people won't give up a location.
    Or I lost my GPS give me exact coordinates to a halibut spot that always produces fish.
    I don't want your hot spot .
    Well any fishing spot that always produces is a hot spot to me.
    Oh they always through in it's just for my kids.
    Often times once you've given out your spot you'll return to find other people there on a regular basis.
    I got no problem helping people but I am not throwing out coordinates to my spots on the internet to a stranger.
    I think that's all part of this whole Google generation were raising.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Sorry in advance for continuing off topic.
    But I feel were raising up a generation on Google.
    Want to know the name of that song from high school but only remember half the words? Google it!
    How big is the world record halibut? Google it!
    Where exactly do I find a caribou to shoot? Google it!
    Where's a local berry patch? Google it!
    Why bother scouting or hunting for days/weeks? The internet forum will tell you where to go!
    I've seen people on forums get pissed off when there first post is where to find a good duck hunting spot within an hour of their house and people won't give up a location.
    Or I lost my GPS give me exact coordinates to a halibut spot that always produces fish.
    I don't want your hot spot .
    Well any fishing spot that always produces is a hot spot to me.
    Oh they always through in it's just for my kids.
    Often times once you've given out your spot you'll return to find other people there on a regular basis.
    I got no problem helping people but I am not throwing out coordinates to my spots on the internet to a stranger.
    I think that's all part of this whole Google generation were raising.

I get ripped on for asking what Mountain Range they were on... i get people not wanting to give up their sweet spot but to not say what mountain range it is, thats a bit anal.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I agree Kasilofchrisn,
    Back in the day we had to make a day trip to the nearest USGS map store, find the right topo, learn to recognize good habitat on the map, plot a course, and burn boot leather getting there with a compass. Nowadays most younger hunters have no clue how to orienteer. The world wide web has changed hunting a lot. I do my best passing these "ancient" skills down to the next generation whenever possible, but when the phone battery goes dead their compass doesn't work anymore
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Compasses are so 2005. They are only for people that dont belong in woods. Compasses...HA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast