Thread: Where close to Anchorage can my family practice defensive shooting?

Default Where close to Anchorage can my family practice defensive shooting?

We need a legal spot that we can shoot 180%+ with an adequate backstop. Knik is off limits, where else can I set up targets at different directions and distances to keep my wife and I proficient? We both practice clearing our house with the shot and handgun but we want to be able to live fire in a way ranges don't permit.

Jeez, where d'ya live and what are you expecting!! Not watched the news for a while, but also not heard of any reports of terrorist special forces cells rappeling into homes to steal blu-ray players and wii consoles!!
    Seriously, having a plan of action and practicing is a good thing, but you will find very few ranges in the country that allow you to practice 180 degrees unless you go to a tactical/military school with a clearing house. Best you are likely to be allowed is to be able to fire forward and left/right to a 30/45 degree angle. But most ranges do not even allow cross-lane firing.
    Best way to practice what you want is to buy some good quality airsoft guns, depending on your real gun models you should be able to get a close match - full metal, blowback etc. In fact this is what many military and tactical schools are now using. This will allow you to practice inside your house.
    Over here on Kodiak we have one of best range facilities around (25yd indoor, 50yd pistol, 100yd and 500yd rifle), soon to get better with new indoor le/milspec target system. We run defensive hangun and can do Fire & Manouvre (organised events), but 180 degrees firing is just not possible within ours or most range complexes, due to nature of backstops, danger area trace etc.
    So either buy some airsoft, or take yourselves way out in the backwoods and don't tell too many people.

I should have clarified I'm not looking for a range. I can head for the hills in an area open to shooting but I could use a recommendation on a good safe one that's got good viability, backstops, and is not frequented much by hunters. I'm trying to be responsible here. You can't even fire on the move at any of the ranges I know.

You are not likely to find something like that where you can do so safely along the road system. Perhaps a nice back pack trip into the alpine somewhere will net you a good location. A nice high alpine bowl with mountains on both sides and great visibility to make sure you have safe lanes of fire.

At roughly mile 9.4 on the right side of Hope Road is a old gravel Pit, which has been designated by the Kenai Borough as a Shooting Range.

A gravel pit sounds great. Thanks for the responses.

Play the games IDPA and/or IPSC.....club in palmer http://www.anpracs.net/

Pay attention to what the top shooters are doing......you'll improve your shooting way beyond going to a pit.

You'll have fun to boot.........