Thread: Jets: Outboard vs Inboards

Default Jets: Outboard vs Inboards

Out side of the obvious differences such as weight and lost deck area what are some of the other + and - of one versus the other?
    Would a 350 V-8 300 hp be more fuel efficient than a 150-200 hp outboard?
    I would suspect an outboard would have the ability to run shallower water but I would like to hear from others who have the experience.
    Thanks
    Tennessee

So much of this discussion will center on what volumn and weights will you be hauling. If you plan on bringing out two moose, gear and gas then you will probably need an inboard.
    SeaULater

This unit came up on a previous thread -

http://www.swordmarine.com/Products/jetpac.htm

It looks pretty interesting and may answer some questions for you.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default outboard jet

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Out side of the obvious differences such as weight and lost deck area what are some of the other + and - of one versus the other?
    Would a 350 V-8 300 hp be more fuel efficient than a 150-200 hp outboard?
    I would suspect an outboard would have the ability to run shallower water but I would like to hear from others who have the experience.
    Thanks
    The outboard "Wooldridge tunnel"will run shallower than the inboards will. You can still keep going when you hear the gravel or sand scraping the bottom on the tunnel boats as long as you still have enough water to feed the jet and don't run completely dry, there is a fine line here.

The jet foot is out of the sand/gravel so it stays clear of debris so you still have propulsion. In the inboard as soon as the gravel/sand starts you better hope it is not to far from deeper water or just a small gravel bar as the jet is ingesting debris and plugging the grate with rocks and soon you will be SOL. In my Wooldridge IB can touch a bit and the jet wont ingest debris but you will feel the boat lift and nose over a bit. In front just about where you sit will touch before the rear will hit as long as it is not too shallow. I have had three different designs of Wooldridge inboards and they all do this. As for gph my 496 gets 9.5 to 10.5 gph at 3000-3400rpm.

You can run the outboard like EGGY does and switch to the prop for long trips like the Yukon to get better fuel mileage and load capacity as long as the river is deep enough. A guy I know hauls 3moose and three guys in a 23 ft Wooldridge Sport Drifter with a 225 Honda prop.