Thread: Rex trail - ATV access for antlerless DM684, a novice seeks advice

Default Rex trail - ATV access for antlerless DM684, a novice seeks advice

I have this question to experienced Alaskan ATV riders about Rex Trail access to that area between Totalanika and Tatlanika rivers. Basically, this is for antlerless DM684, which is open till the end of October. Bear with me, I am an ATV novice, so same (all?) questions are pretty stupid

1. How difficult this raid of 16-18 miles is (again, I am an ATV novice)

2. Best time to go IYO to avoid mud and water on the trail, at least a lot of it - end of Sept, mid- or late October

3. In late October a snow will likely be on the ground - do I need tire chains?

4. Is it realistic to camp on Parks somewhere nearby (I have a camper on my track) and go to the hunting area for day trips (16-18 miles OW ride).

5. If so, how many miles my range could be on one tank for this particular terrain (I saw 30-50 mpg range for the ATVs' mileage, apparently depending on the trail conditions)

6. Anything else I forgot to ask and/or should be asking?

Thank you very much for your answers and shared info,

Lots of mud and a big swamp. You NEED a winch and some rope. I recommend another ATV. Keep one on good ground while the other attempts to cross the mud and swamp bogs. Once across then the other can follow. Pull each other out but don't get them both stuck. Late Oct would see the least mud and bogs as some of the surface areas will be frozen but you will break thru the deeper mud and swamp bogs. Wear hip boots in these areas. Some areas are NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES, so watch out and know where you are. No you don't need chains. Yes you can camp on the Parks and day ride if you want. Take lots of extra fuel. I don't know of any ATV geting 30 - 50 mpg. In mud and bogs expect about 15 mpg or less, depending on engine size. And finally the best time to go is NOW!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Serg, your tag i believe is good till the end of Oct? you will want to get out the Rex prior to that some as the rivers will begin to ice over and not allow access beginning roughly the 2nd week. if not sooner. this has played troublesome in the past few years for the early Nov, muzzle loader hunt.... snow will be less of and issue if similar to years past

you can park at clear sky lodge and run from there.. expect 5 gallons a day,

the Rex after a good rain is a good air boat trail... ( should be at least)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thank you, guys, for the info.

Well, pretty encouraging... River icing never occur to me as a problem. Indeed it is a problem if ice is not solid enough to withstand ATV but too thick for easy breaking it with the wheels. Just as it can be in mid-October.

All in all, it looks, this is not a novice trail. Perhaps someone with 4wheeler and experience would like to join me to share that antlerless moose, which is roaming somewhere in DM684 area now? It's a good eating...

I am serious, I would be happy to do so, just let me know.

Well, with some delay, my report on after-fire (I mean, that August 2009 fire) Rex trail.

We went on October 1st with my partner. Two ATVs, one winch, one ATV trailer, regular stock tires. The trail was pretty dry and dusty. Only one spot with deep mud (0.5 mile or so), where we had to winch ourselves couple of times. Otherwise relatively fast ride, 2-3 hours from the trailhead to the first river crossing (17 miles). The delays were because of the burned trees on the trail, its last 5-miles portion before the first crossing. It is a real problem, because these burned trees along the trail are unstable. Fortunately, my partner had full size professional grade saw, it really helped. Otherwise, chainsaw is a must. The thing is, very strong wind from the hills happened there every night and it brings new trees down. On our way back we had to cut them again.

The area is devastated. Moonlike landscape, dust is everywhere, lots of it. Even in that forest nearby the river, which was not touched by the fire, a layer of dust was everywhere. I never saw such dusty forest. Lots of wind from the hills during late afternoon and overnight, pretty calm during the day.

River crossing was not a problem at all, knee-high water in the deepest spot.

I got cell reception in this open area nearby the river, 17 miles from the trailhead. My ACS phone was able to produce a call. On my side I heard very well, but my replies weren't legible at all, so I had to reduce conversation from my side to multiple repeats of simple words like "no moose, no moose, ...."

We saw some tracks of moose, bear, wolf, but never has a chance to connect during our three days hunt. A single animal we saw was curious marten, which was jumping on our tent apparently for fun. In that hunting area DM684 between the first and the second river, north from the R.Tail not so much of good habitat remains, a lot of fire devastation instead. It is quite visible on Googe Earth, or other satellite imagery. We hoped that one untouched area with ponds could be promising, but no luck this time.

So, no hunting luck, but the trip was fun. Thank you guys again for all info, it was really useful for novice like me. I am getting ATV now and I am looking forward to more trips like this in the future. With better hunting luck, of course.