Thread: Scope Bases and Rings

Default Scope Bases and Rings

I talked to a man yesterday who builds rifles that he guarantees will shoot under 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I asked him what kind of rings and bases he uses. He said he uses steel Weaver Grand Slam bases with Burris Signature rings with incerts. Sometimes he uses Ferrel bases. He said the Leupold turn in front bases with windage adjustable rear bases are under tension and aren't as accurate as the Weaver style slotted bases for clamp on rings. What set up do those of you who shoot long range or for competition use? What rings and bases do the best job of securing a scope even under heavy recoil (.338 and up)?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I use Weaver bases and rings on every thing I own that will accept them and can honestly say I have never had a problem with them.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I use only Weaver Style bases, and Weaver, or Weaver Style rings.

Leupold QRWs, bases and rings, Weaver Quad Locks, and regular Weaver rings, using Weaver bases.

I like the option of removing them. I have two scopes for some rifles. I've not had any trouble with the mounts I've used.
    Smitty of the North

Burris 2 Piece tactical bases and burris tactical rings - I like heavy duty stuff Picitanny style rail on the bases btw...

The Weaver-style system is generally thought of as the strongest mounting system although I would think that those set-ups that have the base integral to the ring (Talley Lightweights) or the receiver (Ruger, CZ, etc.) would have to be right up there too. Seems like fewer pieces would be desirable.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Sceptical

I don't doubt the use of Weaver rings and bases as practical. I don't believe that a set of Leupold or Burris rings properly installed is under any tension. When a set of rings is properly installed and lapped all tension points are found and removed. The problem is when a DIY gunsmith does it on the kitchen table incorrectly. You don't use the scope to twist the front ring into alignment and use an alignment bar to adjust the back ring. Then you lap the rings to remove any small ridges or burrs. Probably the most accurately built scope mounts and rings are by Warne. They are used almost exclusively by Bench Rest shooters and hold some of the finest glass in the world.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thanks for the feedback. I've used the turn in bases and the Weaver style bases. I feel a lot better about using the Weavers now. The Warnes must be good if so many bench rest shooters use them.

Default bases and rings

I got leupold dual dovetail bases and rings on my LH M40 clone and it does great. I also got another one setup with badger ordanance angled base( to save elevation clicks at 1,000m) and super fat rings. I got the badger base and rings from rocky chandler at a richmond va. gunshow.(he is co-author of the death from afar series) also met the late Carlos Hathcock at that show. Carlos came to the richmond gunshow at "the show place" for many years before he died. Great guy! He is dearly missed.

I have broke a bunch of bases and rings, most were my own fault, overtightening or undertightening will do it every time. I am pretty fond of the millett style vertical split rings on weaver bases, light and pleny strong, but since talley has cone out with the new ultralight ring/base combo I can find nothing that could possibly be tougher. badger are great but I don't want my scope mout to weigh more then my rifle. after all it all comes down to the base screws.

Weaver bases and rings to fit them. I can honestly say I hate those style of bases such as Leupolds where you must tighten the windage screws and twist the ring in the front base.
    Tennessee