Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: went to moose camp and found

Default went to moose camp and found

This is one of those opinion questions, I went to my moose campsite off a fairly popular waterway and as I pulled up there was another boat with a few hunters hanging around the camp hunting. My tent and all my gear wasnt messed with but I did carve a nice diamond willow walking stick (hunting was slow) that came up missing. My question too all is this a common occurance, who walks in to anothers campsite and hunts? I wouldnt do it personally but was curious what others would say or do or even what people think about this. The hunters by the way were polite and left immediately and seemed like good guys. Lastly on a semi different note if you found a treestand (permanent one) that no one is hunting and there was no camp in the area, would you sit in it?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wow you would be surprised at the number of people that will actually do just that. you would be surprised at the number of people that will put up camp with in 100 yards off yours so that they can hunt with you, next to you, on you...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default very commom

I've seen it a lot in other states, getting more common here as well. I have even had someone hunting in my stand over my bear bait while we were not there...

If someone had an actual camp there, I would never stop there or mess with it. It seems weird that someone would think that that was ok, to hang out in someone else's camp. I did however have to pass right through someone's camp this year as they put it RIGHT in the middle of the trail. It made me feel weird doing that, even though I thought it a funny place to put a camp. I would, and have, sat in a permanent tree stand if unoccupied. It's hard to tell how long ago it may have been used. I would never sit in someone's portable treestand.

I haven't personally had a problem with people caming on top of me. yet.... On the other note I do check out tree stands and if there is no one around I will sit on one left vacant. Same deal as goaty, I won't mess with your portable stand but the permanent ones on state land are in all honesty just litter that should have been cleaned up. I treat them the same as I would a tree with a big comfy branch.

Wow that is strange. I have never had any one do this and would never do this. If there is an established camp then I stear clear.

ever been on fed land during season...lol... you cant get out away from others.. there will be 4 camps on one trail... but for "state" hunting there is no excuse for camp pilfering..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I left camp for a couple of hours on the 8th and came back to find someone sitting in my CHAIR HUNTING!
    We hunt moose on a rock pile literally adjacent to our camp and all of our stuff was there except us, and even our chair was on the rock pile. I come back and there is a dude up there hunting away. I know he felt awkward when I popped in and asked what he was doing.....

Quote Originally Posted by troutfish View Post
    I have even had someone hunting in my stand over my bear bait while we were not there...
    Now I believe this is actually illegal! If someone is hunting a bait station they don't personally maintain (with permission), they are supposed to write their license number down on the permit near the bait. Just stumbiling on to a bait station and hunting it is flat wrong.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

There are bait-stations off the Hope Road with tree-houses. and some they even leave there hunting lic. number and all the bait station info. on a sign on the tree year-around. They think that tree belongs to them. We are talking last week, well after the season is closed. This is in the Chugach National Forest.

I know of two Guides, one Registered, and one Asst. Guide who pilfered from the wrong camp. Lesson: Don't steal from hunters from New Jersey, that are shall we say "Connected".

Yeah there is no way I would mess with anyones camp if they are there this time of year you KNOW they are armed so would you really want that confrontation? As for the tree stands I don't see a problem with it there are a couple I found that are not in use in the winter that I use for predators and dont see anything morally or ethically wrong with it.

Funny , this last week we were boating down to Kotz and there was a strange boat in our lower camp, with guys standing around at dusk........our nephew and HIS nephew~~ LOL!!~~ sometimes company is most welcome in a camp.
    11 month of the year, when were out doing such, we pretty much know each other and often camp close just to visit in the evenings.....but come September....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

We have had another group put up their tent and set up camp right next to ours one year when they opened the area up to registration cow permits in 20A. They also helped themselves to our cache and were using our lanterns, frying pans, and burned a bunch of our firewood. We packed our stuff, moved on and whacked two moose the next morning. Haven't ever been back as the place turned into a zoo. I would sit in someone's stand if it were a permenant one and appeared to be unused.
    BK

My three brothers live in Juneau. There is a big-name SCI guide who advertises hunts in Southeast off his huge yacht. My brothers were out hunting some remote area, when along come a couple of small boats off the yacht used to haul trophy hunters around. They followed and harassed my brothers while they were trying to find some black bears. My brothers finally left.

Pigs can be found anywhere, anytime, in any strata of society.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

People were actually HUNTING at your camp? Must be a good moose spot. Where is it?
    HaHa
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    People were actually HUNTING at your camp? Must be a good moose spot. Where is it?
    HaHa
    Well I wouldnt say that its a great area they seen more moose then I did hahahahhahahah

I would never mess with someone’s camp, but on public land all is fair in love and hunting
    In the area I hunt there is several “Camps” (tents) set up with no one or nothing else around for weeks. I would imagine they go in and set up at the start of season thinking someone will see them and steer clear.

So if you see a tent on public land do you move on, even if you have hunted that area for years and now people start setting up tents and are never there? It is a very well used ATV trail by the way.

Hot coals in the smoke ring, steer clear. Tent and tarp set up 3 weeks before season because you somehow own that piece of public land, maybe.

We went into a hunting spot last Thursday and some guy same and set up a tent right next to "our" spot ~ 50 yards away then left. He never stayed a night there through Sunday and his tent was still there when we left.

How long were you away from camp?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast