Thread: Mat-Su..Anyone Else Notice This?

Default Mat-Su..Anyone Else Notice This?

Hey, I was hunting the Mat-Su area just before heading to the slope and then just got back and started up again. It occured to me that I have seen only one cow this whole season. Last year we saw at least six cows with calves, and a not-legal-yet bull. Is it just me or is the moose population in the Mat-Su area just down that much? My hunting spots are more lifeless as graveyards so far (exept for the occasional idiot who is drinking more beer than hunting and not cleaning up his/her cans either, but that's already a different thread...)

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by germe1967 View Post
    Hey, I was hunting the Mat-Su area just before heading to the slope and then just got back and started up again. It occured to me that I have seen only one cow this whole season. Last year we saw at least six cows with calves, and a not-legal-yet bull. Is it just me or is the moose population in the Mat-Su area just down that much? My hunting spots are more lifeless as graveyards so far (exept for the occasional idiot who is drinking more beer than hunting and not cleaning up his/her cans either, but that's already a different thread...)
    We are in the exact same boat here. I've seen a grand total of 2 moose (cows) for the entire season. I've been wanting to blame it on the warm temps...but there seems to be more to it than that.

Sounds like you aren't hunting very good spots, or are hunting unproductive hours of the day. There are a lot of moose around.

If you are anywhere near human settlements, the moose will tend to be very nocturnal.

They call it hunting for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Sounds like you aren't hunting very good spots, or are hunting unproductive hours of the day. There are a lot of moose around.

If you are anywhere near human settlements, the moose will tend to be very nocturnal.

They call it hunting for a reason.
    I'm not complaining, and I agree, it's not a very good spot...perhaps not even a fair spot, but it's the best spot I know of that I can get to based on living in ER and my available time (evenings after work). I've hunted this area for several years now, and the moose numbers in this area definitely seem to be down. It would be awesome to be able to get to some more productive areas (wherever that is)/spend more time in the field...but sometimes life gets in the way of what we really want.

I saw considerably fewer cows than usual in my one day in the field in 14A, but two weeks later my brother took two friends out and they saw more cows than I usually do and took two within a short amount of time. A week after that my brother went out on his own and saw three bulls standing in a field, one of which was a 3 brow-tiner and is now in his garage. Right place, right time...

Give it a few more days. Temps have been a little on the warm side to kick off the rut. I've seen 10-15 cows/calves around my house (Wasilla Fishhook) and have spotted at least one legal bull within the Wasilla restricted weapons area (I just couldn't quite seal the deal with my bow!). They are out there, just gotta keep looking!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I saw considerably fewer cows than usual in my one day in the field in 14A, but two weeks later my brother took two friends out and they saw more cows than I usually do and took two within a short amount of time. A week after that my brother went out on his own and saw three bulls standing in a field, one of which was a 3 brow-tiner and is now in his garage. Right place, right time...
    you know our SIGHTING numbers are really low here to... but as we know where they live and where they will be we have done well... it has been warm with little termination dust on any of the hills around yet. much warmer over all then is the norm... typically by this time we have had one snow fall at the claim... but so far not even on the mtn above it... but some one did dump a bunch of leaves in my yard the last two days...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    I've had fresh tracks in my yard at least a few times a week all season. The animals I've seen during light have been a few hundred yards away, all non-legal bulls and cows with calves.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Give it a few more days. Temps have been a little on the warm side to kick off the rut. I've seen 10-15 cows/calves around my house (Wasilla Fishhook) and have spotted at least one legal bull within the Wasilla restricted weapons area (I just couldn't quite seal the deal with my bow!). They are out there, just gotta keep looking!
    Only have a few more days, the area we hunt is in 13, closes at sundown Monday. After that, all us losers...er, unsuccesful hunters will have no choice but to move into 14, which is already a circus.

No way I am commenting on this. We'd be crawling with people if we said the moose hunting was good in any area...I'm just sayin'
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There are definatly moose out there. I saw 2 legal bulls last weekend and have seen numerous other moose around.

Not trying to be a smart a##, but if the moose are there they will leave tracks - I spend more time looking for "sign' than for animals on most of my hunts. Unless you having flying moose tracks will tell you if they are there someplace. Reading sign is just another part of becoming a complete hunter....
    No doubt game can move for many reasons related to food supply's and weather... Perhaps wearing out little boot leather is needed?
    Good Luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    No way I am commenting on this. We'd be crawling with people if we said the moose hunting was good in any area...I'm just sayin'
    I saw a bunch of people driving the shoulders of the highway very slowly yesterday morning. Had to laugh at that one a little.
    Laugh and slow down.