Thread: Last shrimp haul for this year

Default Last shrimp haul for this year

Hauled 8 pots on the 14th, for 1,010 shrimp on a 48 hour soak, then 8 pots on the 15th for 817 on a 24 hour soak. Here's a picture of the 1,010. I was going to take a pic of the 817 on the 15th, but it was pretty much the same pic. I met a few people on this forum on the trip. Nice to meet you! I Got a lot of questions about my goofy looking Kayak I had aboard.
    Yes folks it IS a jet powered Kayak. (Mokai) (great for duck hunting!) I pulled tails till 6 PM on the 15th, so I waited until the 16th to run back to Whittier. Flat calm the hole trip until the last 5 miles into Whittier, got a little sloppy just to remind what it can do!

A F&G biologist at the Sportsman Show seminar said they generally figure 50 whole shrimp per gallon, or 100 tails per gallon. I'm filling out my permit right now, and we count the shrimp in each pot so I just divide my total by 50, to get the number of whole shrimp per pot. Total for the year.........91.5 gallons of whole shrimp.

Here's what 1010 whole shrimp look like...........

That sure is a nice mess of shrimp, and equals a lot of heads to pop. I know a fellow boater who has over 3500 miles towing his Mokai and exploring 100s of miles of remote areas, what a cool little craft.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Unbelievable. I've never caught more than a 125 tails in a three pot string. Awesome work. You're sure going to enjoy it over the winter.

That is so cool, ya gotta this place. Congrats.

That is simply ridiculous. I have participated in shrimping in the Sound since I was a young child, and I have never seen anything like that. I guess I've got some stuff to learn. Wow!

Impressive. You can almost tell from the picture how many gallons you have there. Those are two 5 gallon buckets pretty much full, and if coolers are usually rated in quarts, which is easy to convert. Too bad you didn't take one with the shoreline in the background. We could all spend the winter trying to guess where you were at. Can I ask how deep you were at?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

This trip I set 550' to 580' but I don't think it matters. I think I could catch them in this area anywhere from 350' on down to 1000' or more. I'm going to set some shallow and deep next year just to experiment. I keep a log book with all my depths and count shrimp from every pot and log it in. Here's my counts from this trip....

9-14 / 48 hour soak

55 & 1 octopus

9-15 / 24 hour soak

50 & 1 octopus

The pot that had 238 is my new record. And the total number for both hauls is also a new record for me. Here's a couple of hints..... Steve's shrimp crack is what is allowing me to let them soak, and continue to fish for a very long time...... I fish all 8 pots on individual buoy lines, which allows me to explore a very large area and of course log it all in.........And I fish the biggest pots I can get, 37" Ladner round stackable pots.

I just figure my number of gallons of whole shrimp using F&G estimate of 50 whole shrimp per gallon. So this trip I caught 1827 shrimp and filled in my report as 20 gallons on 9-14 and 16 gallons on 9-16.

For tails only, I figure 100 per gallon, so I got 18 gallons of tails on this trip.

By the way, I made this trip by myself and I'm one stiff and sore old man today, but I'm still bagging and freezing right now, almost done, just a couple more hours.

Here's how I put my shrimp up......use 2 standard Ziplock sandwich bags, one inside the other. Date your bags. Carefully fill inside bag with shrimp, tamping it lightly on the counter as you go. Try not to put a hole in the bag. On average I get 24 to 30 shrimp per bag. Close inside bag half way, then slowly fill with water over top of shrimp. Tip the open part of bag up, and close bag, and at the same time squeeze bag so some water comes out just as you get the final seal. This should make a fairly air free bag of water and shrimp. Close outer bag. Put in freezer on top of a layer of newspaper. I get about 1 in 30 bags that leak. If you have a leaker, just re-do that bag. Here's a shot of about 1/3 of the shrimp I put up yesterday. Notice there is no air in bags. Of course once frozen you can stack them up and fill the shelf. When you thaw a package out it WILL leak, always thaw in a bowl or the sink.

Hey Sockeye, great stuff. I'm one of those members you met on your last outing(we traded rides to the parking lot). Looks like you had great success, along with the great weather. Hope you found some ducks also. Sounds like lots of folks would like to know where you are getting all those shrimp. Then there are some of us old-timers that would rather know where your freezer is located! Thanks for sharing with us, and I look forward to crossing trails again with you.

Well hi there bottomfeeder! Nice meeting you. No ducks but I made up for it in shrimp. It was fun riding around in my Mokai with shotgun in hand though. I could have gotten some geese, but I noticed a foot note in the regs that says ducks open 9-1 but geese doesn't open until 9-28???? I'm going to ask F&G about that, and maybe talk to our action committee or make a proposal to change that. I can't figure out why they do that???

Awesome haul! I've been trying to find Steve's Shrimp Crack. Any tips on where I can find some? Gallons of thanks!

Have you tried talking to Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
    Awesome haul! I've been trying to find Steve's Shrimp Crack. Any tips on where I can find some? Gallons of thanks!
    Donalson Cumpany I bought a big bag of shrimp crack this year and still have some left. Mailed in my shrimp log to F&G last week, 158 gallons. They have a great selection of line and other stuff also, great folks to do business with.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.