Thread: My attempt at HDR

Default My attempt at HDR

So I'm playing around with some new photo software. It's just the trial version and I'm trying to make up my mind about whether I want to spend the coin on the real thing. What do ya'll think?

The watermark is part of the trial version of the software and can't be avoided without the commitment to buy.

I think it has it's place, but might not suit everyone's taste

My vote is "very cool!". Photomatix? I might have to try and download this. I have been playing with HDR photos on my iPhone, but it seems to do some pretty weird things at times.

I think this would give the pictures of the kids a pretty cool effect. What kind of cabbage do they want to buy the software?

The pic I did above is with the trial software, hence the watermark. The full version of Photomatix Pro is $99 and can be downloaded off the web. I know they have plug in versions for Photoshop, but the stand alone is supposed to be way easier to use by itself. Then if you want to use Photoshop you just import the picture after Photomatix has done it's thing.

I am unclear what you want...if you want a critique of the photography after the software was used, then you need to submit the untouched photograph. It would help to know what camera and lens you are using...even better if you know the settings. Please understand that you are submitting a low resolution .jpeg and therefore your original most likely will have far greater detail than we can see on this forum. Are you shooting NEF/RAW? As to this pic, if it was one of mine I would have cropped it differently (the blurry background is distracting IMHO)and I would have brought the "blacks" out, trying to remove the glare off the seats. I would have moved so I could have gotten a little bit more of a side angle, or straight head on...just my preference. Opening your aperture could sharpen your background. It is nearly impossible for me to say the software you are using is good or bad based on a sole picture, sorry if this doesn't help.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I like the angle of the bikes but the tree and house getting chopped off on the left wouldn't be my preference. The HDR seems a little too dramatic. I like Subtle HDR where it doesn't look fake. Overall I think this picture looks very nice. Thanks for posting it.

I have been playing around with the HDR effect on my iPhone and have got a few decent shots. For me, it really brings everything together as you see it without washing out (mainly gives the sky back its colors) and brings the darker areas back to light. It will definitely add an element of 'fake' to some pictures, but I think it can be cool for sure! Your software is obviously more powerful than the $1.99 app I got, but its been fun tinkering with it...