Thread: Anyone in FBX that got skunked want some moose?

Default Anyone in FBX that got skunked want some moose?

I will put this here as well so people see it IF mods dont want it here you can delete. After getting my moose all processed and after what friends came and got what they wanted I still have plenty left over mostly already ground up to burger but also quite a bit of steaks. It is only my wife and I and there is no way we will get to it all before it gets freezer burned. So if anyone that got skunked in FBX wants some PM me and I will hook you up and I will go by first come first serve. I dont want to see any of this tasty meat go bad so instead of waiting until it is freezer burned and no good might as well be proactive and give some away up front.

I'm not in FBX but that is very generous of you. Kinda reminds me of me as I do that a lot with fish and game. You're a good man.

Great offer and very kind of you. On a side note, game meat does not freezer burn quickly if wrapped well. We have eaten moose and caribou meat that was 3-4 years old that was absolutely delicious. I love sharing the wealth, but I also know that not every season is a great one, so sometimes holding on to a bit more than I might eat in a year is insurance for the following winter. Just a thought...but good on you for sharing the bounty.

I agree with Brian. I killed a moose 3 years ago and what little is left is not freezer burned at all. Wrapped in Saranwrap and freezer paper. Still very good. I got one this year just in time I'm about out.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Hey now!

Send some down Kodiak way... I'm sure I could give it the best home posible

ROB

Thanks to my wife being in school full time and me being "away" we still had a good amount of our 2008 moose left this year. When my wife got into school out of state (with me still "away") we ended up giving it to friends. Unfortunately we also had to give away my goat but we didn't feel comfortable leaving it for a year in an unsupervised freezer with no way to tell if it had spent a week or more at room temp due to a power outage. That said at 18 months in the freezer the meat was still excellent! Ours was packed by indian valley in the 1lb burger sleeves and hog ringed. I have no doubt that if there is any left it will still be in great shape!

BSJ425 - Kudo's to you for being so generous and repecting the value of a kill is to not waste the meat.
    Over the years we had trouble with plastic wrapped meat ( especially salami logs and slim jims ) they would dry out a bit over time, we started wrapping those plastic vaccum bags in tin foil and the meat stays very fresh for well over 1 year and usually into 2 years.
    Just a thought to stretch out your supply!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

We made jerky from 16 year old moose burger.

Great stuff!

We usually have moose burger in rotation that is 3 to 4 years old. Tastes like the day we ground it up.

Definitely save some for a rainy day.

BSJ425, I would take you up on this offer if still open. Knee replacement kept me in this season. My cell number is 978-8136. Thanks, Ed

I was in Fairbanks a few weeks ago, Does that count?

I dont suppose you will deliver to Wisconsin......

All that was available is spoken for Sorry guys! I wish I had more to go around but I probably got a good 15 emails and PM's I hope all those that received it puts it to good use! mods can close or delete if you wish thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    I was in Fairbanks a few weeks ago, Does that count?

I dont suppose you will deliver to Wisconsin......
    Hey Ken, did you get to hunt again in AK this year? I enjoyed your story from last fall and was hoping you got to get out and score on a repeat trip?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey, yes I returned to AK this August. I should put a quick story together..