Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koyukuk brawl???

Default Koyukuk brawl???

Just got back from our hunt on the Koyukuk and had a blast. Will post pics and story of wifes big bull later but first I wanted to ask about a brawl that took place on the river. We were hunting up one of the sloughs above the Dulbi river and ran into a guide and his client on their way out. They stopped us and told us about a situation they came upon between two men further up the slough and advised we not go too much further. They said they came around a bend in the slough and found one guy all bloodied up, cut up and not in too good of shape. There were two boats and they did not see the other individual involved but was told by the one guy that they'd be a lot better off if they moved on and not to worry about what's going on.

We were kind of wondering if the guide was just trying to keep us out of the area due to it being a good moose area so we pressed on only to be meet by another hunter about a mile up river who flagged us down with the exact same story. Well we finished out our hunt but never did see another boat come past our camp at the mouth of the slough where we were camped so I imagine the individuals were still there after 8 days. I really wanted to go check on the individual but with my wife along with me I didn't want to put her in a bad situation, especially after this individual had basically threatend two other hunting parties.

Ayone else here about this????

No, I didnt hear about the fight ~~LOL!!~~ I guess i missed one in this Civilized world....shuks......

I Guess the Guide did it, then ran you off and threatend the victems, then they who were too scared to leave the slough.......or maby it was a couple clients in the boat and the Guide all beat up.........~~LOL!!~~ maby they kept drifting....were they were drifting??

WERE THEY LOCALS?????. WERE THE FEDS INVOLVED?????
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

wow, thats kind of scary. prob a good idea not to go up you never know what could have been going on up there. just be careful out there. prob two buddies fighting over the same moose or the last drink in the bottle

We were camped at the mouth of the same slough and there was only one way in and out, we never did see them. The one guy, not the guide, said it didn't look like a native. The guys were in larger 20-22 foot boats with outboards on them. We never did see F&G land in the area above us so I guess no one that saw the situation called the troopers. We did talk to the guide and his client a few days later and they were still talking about it and how bad the situation looked. I guess if someone doesn't make it back out and is reported missing in the area I can tell them were to go look!!!

If someone didn't call the troopers, that should be yer first clue...

Nothing like a good brawl while out hunting....
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    I have 2 boat load of friends hunting up there now. Yesterday while traveling separately above the 3 day slough one boat was was flagged down by some locals. When he stopped to see if they had a problem the locals demanded he pull his boat to the beach. He said he was meeting his hunting buddies and took off. When the other partner came up river he didn't see the locals until they pulled right up to his gunnel like they were gonna to try and board his boat at 25 mph. He pulled away and took off. Don't know what is going on with that aggressive action. But with a lot of hunters traveling with guns and beer things could get out of hand. They contacted me by sat phone and I have been trying to get hold of the troopers but Fairbanks said nobody is available until Mon morning. If you are headed that way you might have to keep an eye on your camp. I have been hunting up there since. 1991 and have not had any probs yet. But I haven't run in to that kind of welcome yet.
    It's starting to sound like combat hunting in the "last frontier"....

It seems like every season around here we have a good brawl amongst drunk "hunters" camped out at the end of one of the local roads. Last season a guy got so drunked up that his buddies thought he was dead. So drunk that rain falling in his eyes didn't even make him blink after he fell off his ATV. I can easily imagine a little too much drinking could lead to a good fight, even way out on the Koyokuk.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Red face drinking buddies

So just a couple of drinking buddies settling their differences the old fashion way? The other one then left to get some more beer.....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Y'know, you read about this kind of behaviour, and it makes a guy wonder if gun control isn't such a bad idea after all.... I mean, do you really want someone who's idea of hunting is to get so blind drunk that they pass out in the rain, to be able to own firearms?
    Just saying...
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Y'know, you read about this kind of behaviour, and it makes a guy wonder if gun control isn't such a bad idea after all.... I mean, do you really want someone who's idea of hunting is to get so blind drunk that they pass out in the rain, to be able to own firearms?
    Just saying...
    It's pretty hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Just saying...
    How does one adjudicate this if said drunk is not arrested and processed through the courts? Do you think his friends are going to spend their hunting trip dragging his besotted corpse back to civilization so that he can be arrested for public intoxication?

We have a pretty good misconduct with weapons laws over here that trip up hunters, boaters, and fishermen when ever they are drunk and deal with law enforcement. However, there is no law that will take your guns from you unless you are beating your wife or girlfriend.

Many completely normal guys get away from their daily routine and fall head long into the bottle. My dad told me many stories of the early 1960's where guys went deer hunting with him and missed opening day after drinking too much around the fire the night before. Most these guys never drank at home so they had little self control or knowlege about their personal limits.

Life long consequences of no fire arms for one day of being falling down drunk in the woods. That would be a 2nd amendment court battle sure to fail.

Say "Hi!" to Mike P the decoy carving school teacher and his son Mac for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    It's pretty hard to argue with that.
    It's REALLY EASY to argue with that. Statistics and studies aside,wasnt this whole thread started about some obvious altercation without guns? You're saying that men getting in a violent fist fight is a good reason to ban/control guns? Ummm...........what?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    It's REALLY EASY to argue with that. Statistics and studies aside,wasnt this whole thread started about some obvious altercation without guns? You're saying that men getting in a violent fist fight is a good reason to ban/control guns? Ummm...........what?
    *sigh* No, what I'm saying is that guys who are prone to getting drunk and picking fights, and who are also in possession of firearms, is a bad deal. There's a reason that mixing boose and guns is illegal. Just because it occurs out in the woods and away from the cops, doesn't mean it's safe. I don't care if two guys get blotto and beat the snot out of each other. And I don't really care if their fight escellates to gunfire and they both kill each other. But, I have a right to be out there on the river too, WITHOUT having to worry about getting caught up in a gunfight between two drunken idiots.

Was it really necessary to explain that?

What's your proposed solution? Bans guns in hunting areas? Ban the possession of loaded weapons and open containers of alcohol? (I could actually get behind that)
    You said its hard to argue with Yukoner saying that 'he wonders if gun control isn't such a bad idea after all.' Countless studies have shown that gun control (which always manifests as broad sweeping bans of ownership) ALWAYS makes violent crime increase. The drinking/rage problem that these moron were going through had nothing to do with what weapon they owned or were carrying.
    Furthermore there are countless laws regulating alcohol and guns. Consequently, major violations with either (Class C felony such as multiple DUI or weapons misconduct) revokes your right to own guns and use alcohol.
    What law do you see as being necessary that we dont have right now?
    My point being that when 'gun control' is enacted it always screws the weak and innocent and creates more violent offenses and wouldnt do a D*** lick of good to prevent what happened out on the Koyukuk.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

"But, I have a right to be out there on the river too, WITHOUT having to worry about getting caught up in a gunfight between two drunken idiots."

(7) violates AS 11.46.320 and, during the violation, possesses on the person a firearm when the person's physical or mental condition is impaired as a result of the introduction of an intoxicating liquor or controlled substance into the person's body;'

You are right iofthetaiga. You DO have the right. This section of the weapons misconduct law makes it illegal be stupid with guns and alcohol. That is, you're making a lot of assumptions; that they were drunk; that a gunfight is imminent because of their possesion of weapons; no firsthand knowledge of the people or situation at all....,

You would support Draconian gun laws that screw the innocent because of those assumptions?

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    What's your proposed solution? Bans guns in hunting areas? Ban the possession of loaded weapons and open containers of alcohol? (I could actually get behind that)
    You said its hard to argue with Yukoner saying that 'he wonders if gun control isn't such a bad idea after all.' Countless studies have shown that gun control (which always manifests as broad sweeping bans of ownership) ALWAYS makes violent crime increase. The drinking/rage problem that these moron were going through had nothing to do with what weapon they owned or were carrying.
    Furthermore there are countless laws regulating alcohol and guns. Consequently, major violations with either (Class C felony such as multiple DUI or weapons misconduct) revokes your right to own guns and use alcohol.
    What law do you see as being necessary that we dont have right now?
    My point being that when 'gun control' is enacted it always screws the weak and innocent and creates more violent offenses and wouldnt do a D*** lick of good to prevent what happened out on the Koyukuk.
    I don't disagree with what you've said here. I am NOT inclined toward gun control, and I doubt Yukoner is either. Nor do I advocate additional laws. More laws will never prevent stupid people from doing stupid things. The point that I believe should be pretty obvious here is that when people act irresponsibly and firearms are involved, more often than not it's innocent people who get hurt, and when that happens it's **** hard to defend against arguments made by the gun control advocates. Leaping to the defense of people acting irresponsibly around firearms is not the answer to maintaining second amendment rights.

My apologies to all / mods for this turning into a second amendment thing. I'm done with it. Everybody have a safe weekend. Watch out for crazy people in the woods.

I think his point might be that lots of fights occur with guns within reach, they end. Most of the time the gun isn't a factor. The less drunk guy kicks the **** out of the more drunk guy. Surprised I had to explain THAT. Not a reason to discuss gun control, has happened for hundereds of years with weapons that started with sharp sticks.

Thats kinda an "Alaskan Thang", eh, have guns at yer fingertips, yet pull out the Fistola's insted of the Pistolas.......

Theres alotta things a good beating can do to correct or worsen situations,I, for one, hope it came out for the better........Still, its always better to watch~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast