Thread: point of impact/seating depth

Default point of impact/seating depth

I have spent alot of time and effort into working up a load i am satisfied with for my new 270 win. Unfortunately i forgot to consider the magazine lengtht. I have had to seat the bullets from 3.400 down to 3.360. Do you think there will be a signifigant change in the point of impact? thx

Only one way to find out. Speculation is cheap, but I won't base my hunts on someone elses guesswork.

BrownBear is right. My experience is that yes, there will be a change in POI and possibly a change in the level of accuracy. Go hit the range and fire a group. If you've been shooting this load a lot, you'll know quickly.

Without changing any of the other variables my experience has been the bullet is likely to "climb" some.
    Time to kill some paper critters again!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by islander338 View Post
    I have spent alot of time and effort into working up a load i am satisfied with for my new 270 win. Unfortunately i forgot to consider the magazine lengtht. I have had to seat the bullets from 3.400 down to 3.360. Do you think there will be a signifigant change in the point of impact? thx
    Probably not a significant change at 25 yards, likely at 100 yards and substantial at 1000 yards. Like BB and the others suggest it's best to shoot it and see what happens.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.