Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bears in kodiak

Talking bears in kodiak

i hear the bears are a little thick this year around the road system but hows the fishing ?

fair, low water right now, fish are spooky. Once we get some rain it will ge good. no real rain in 3+ weeks. a few small bears on almost every major river.

Doing horrible at fishing. Spooky is right. Now that upstream of the bridges are open, might be able to get a few more.

Bears are thick. Had one 10 feet away eating my eggs out of the tackle box. They seem a bit too comfortable around people...

There's bears, but the bigger problem is the high ratio of idiots around the bears.

Watched a certified idiot with a pocket camera on the Olds last night make growling noises and run toward a nervous sow with a cub. She had the good sense to turn and run, but he was all leaked off because she wouldn't stay and stand up for his pictures.

Time for the bears to start carrying S&W 500's I guess.

Not even fishing with this low water. Most fish are be beat over the head all day and wont chase a fly for anything. I will wait for rain.
    As for the bears, I have never seen as many any time before in my 10 years on the rock. With the new permit required would not be surprised to see even more in the years to come. Just so long as people keep their sense, there should not be a problem. Maybe the bears will remove some of the problem humans?

been a little slower but you can still catch fish if you target the lakes and beaches. I've had good luck on rosteid whether from the pontoon boat or from shore.... in fact probably caught more fish just walking the shoreline.

Supposed to rain next week. Headed there next Friday. Hopefully catch some fish and not see too many bears... Where can you catch some big dollies? I'd like to do a little C & R and gets some good photos. Any steelhead showing up yet?

You can find big dollys over most of the local streams. We just fish flesh or beads behind all the pinks and reds. Dad caught a pig on the olds in like 07. Last year suprisingly i got most of the dollys at saltery, haha was weird because they were hitting a popper wog meant for silvers!?
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

just got to the olds its amazing there is no water compaired again to last year

went the first of the month. Fishing was slow at first but it picked up as the week went on. Like others said the water is low but if you get to the rivers early the fishing was great. We fished from 6 in the morning to 8 or 10 in the morning and caught ten fish or more every day. People seemed to do good with eggs and I had some with the intentions of using them but there was one loud mouth on the river telling every one they had to fish his was and every who was using anything alts was scaring the fish. He even started telling one lady that she was using the wrong fishing line since it was not the one he liked. Well I stood next to him fished with a vibrix and had no problems catching fish. Guess there has to be at least one on every creek.

There where small bears on all the streams and we had one close in counter. Attachment 39135Attachment 39136
    We saw two bears on a sand bar about one hundred yards off the road on the Olds River. We backed the car up to where was saw the bears. got out and walked to the back so we could take a photo. In the time that we backed up the bear had left or at least so we thought. Our first hint of it's location came when we heard some Jaw cracking then there was the growling that really gave it away. In the time that we backed the car up it had ran to the shoulder of the road and was in the thickets just a few feet from us. Apparently it was going to run across the road but we blocked it path. The thing shot out of the woods and ran strait at at us till it was right in front of us then turned and ran back in the woods leaving my uncle and I with a load in our pants.

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    For some reason your pics are not working. Can you repost your pics? Looking forward to getting on the water....

Just got back yesterday & yes they are everywhere you turn. If you have any brain cells and give them the space they deserve everything is fine. The only real one that I saw giving trouble is the young one on the Olds, he is a real shore patrol and will gladly run you off your fish. Watched him circle one guy in the early morning until he had a few rocks thrown at him when he got within 5-10 feet and would not leave.
    Secret to the fishing was the Shak. For whatever reason the PM was the best, did not really matter if it was high or low tide they came in strong. Several nights was having a couple hundred fish make the run with 6-8 fish to the beach. Not much of a flosser but did perfect my skills this year.

Col. thanks for the info when you say pm do you mean almost dark? or the pm tide have caught a couple keepers out of the olds but the water is sooooooo low everything is all used up. did you do and rainbow fishing? oh ya the bears are at the olds we have seen or hear her everyday

No bows but I did go and pluck a few Starry Flounders from the mouth of the Olds at low tide. They are tastey, one even fileted out to #2 3/4. Typically would hit the Shak around 5-530pm and fish until you could not see 9pm. Eye polarized glasses in the low light are key.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    No bows but I did go and pluck a few Starry Flounders from the mouth of the Olds at low tide. They are tastey, one even fileted out to #2 3/4. Typically would hit the Shak around 5-530pm and fish until you could not see 9pm. Eye polarized glasses in the low light are key.
    Where on the Pasagshak were you fishing? Towards the mouth? Do you know of any good holes on the other streams for silvers? I'm headed out Thursday night. Looking forward to getting a few to fill the freezer. Besides fishing, any good spots for sightseeing and just hanging out. Was in Kodiak about 3 years ago, but didn't do much else but fish...

If you remember the Shak it is the first 200yds from the bay. If there weren't many people usually fished about 100 yrds up where it starts to turn. Sometimes if the get pounded with the lead at the mouth, they just race back & forth to sea. If they make that first commitment usually they won't turn back. Remember this is all flossing.
    Had a few guys staying with us that would float eggs in the 1st lagoon, but you are also feeding the sculptin.
    I would also try the Olds 50 yrds up, fish the grassy bank or if you go early large hole 150-200 yrds from the bridge, aka meat hole. The biggest thing is they need the rain to get the fish into the river. If that happens Buskin will also get started. Had a few guys I met do fine on the Buskin around bridge #1 but then again it's flossing

Be careful around the Buskin. There are two frequent bears. The bigger one is getting bolder. He has ran after people to scare THEM off!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast