Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any updates on Kotzebue

Default any updates on Kotzebue

flying out Fri, any new reports?

I was just up there, who you flying out with?

hopefully there flying you far from kotz because they aren't close....

Its been very warm.
    Usually,untill about starting 10 or so years ago, by my wifes B-day(last night) theres been snow on the ground or at least frozen puddles, but we haven't even had a freeze yet. VERY warm summer here.
    When it gets cold, the Caribou come down to the river vallys on their way south. Since its been warmer the last few years, Ive seen the change, as has everyone here to a later migration, and a later rut, which has been starting in Early October rather than mid/late Sept. Different Bulls rut a few days apart, but the whole mass is "In" within a week of each other.
    We have to wait a bit longer now, as I personally need the chill to keep the meats from spoiling.

Anyway we actually talked withe some "guides" and they were telling us that they were having to fly way North to get to Bulls, and with little sucess.

We, here on the ground and in boats have been picking them out , one, two, three at a time, but we have plenty of time and opportunity.

Most locals in Unit 23 are picking bulls outta the herds of Cows that are going by.
    Best places to look for Caribou now are the ridges and cool spots where the bugs are not. Breezy or chilling, that keeps the bugs off, and thats what they are avoiding. When the temps drop, they will move south a bit faster than they are, almost inna hurry.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I talked to two transporters in Kotzebue including the one we are flying in with and they have said the Caribou are up high and spread out. Hit and miss. Some people have got lucky and the Caribou walked by in groups of 7 - 10 and others have seen them high on the mountains. We rescheduled and we are flying into the field now on the 25th. Hopefully by then they will start to move. From all the talk it seems to be a really weird year with extremely warm weather and bugs. No freezing temps to get them moving or off the mountains. Looking forward to the trip one way or the other. No one can control the migration! It is what it is and will be as always a good trip.

Not a weird year anymore.
    10 years ago, yep,this woulda been weird, but freeze up is comming later every year, heck, it didnt freeze the river till late October last year.

The Walrus are pileing up on shore North of Kotzebue, 'cause all the ocean ice is gone, and it was very thin ice this last winter to start with.

Untill 2000, there used to be snow on the ground by my wifes B-day in mid sept., now freeze up is a month late and Spring is 3 weeks earlier.

Theres not been a freeze yet, and no low 30's temps predicted till the end of the month, if the weater is predictable......

Lots of Caribou on the hills, staying outta the bugs.

Remeber, Transporters are selling you something.

I just returned Saturday from Kotzebue. We hunted Sept 13-17. First couple days were hot and the animals we did see just milled around for awhile. Next couple days got cloudy and cool and the animals moved quite a bit. Me and my partner each shot nice bulls. In talking with others we did better than average, or so we were told. We were approximately 115 miles northeast of Kotzebue in the Noatak Preserve. Good luck.

My 3 partners and I took 8 nice bulls approx 100 miles north of Kotz on a no name river. 1st 2 days slow then we saw 5-10 thousand coming through camp headed south!

Glad you had a good time, however there aren't any no name rivers left up there

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Glad you had a good time, however there aren't any no name rivers left up there
    I think "no name" just means "no tell."

Mmmmmmmmm, Caribou. Awsome.

All rivers have names~~LOL!!~~ Maby just not on the map in yer hands, but the Eskimo names are always descripive in nature, Like "Barren hill, Rocky sided mountain, Caribou pass, People Dont sleep well here, Freezing wind pass, Spring Whitefish slough," ect.......

Matters not, as all them Caribou are at least 200 miles away from the place now, and will keep on moving, with the Replacement Caribou surly showing up

It was the Anisek River... Not far from the noatak....

Quote Originally Posted by lvfire View Post
    It was the Anisek River... Not far from the noatak....
    I think we floated right by your camp on the 12th, three guys in two blue rafts. We floated right through about 200 caribou as they crossed the river and ran through a couple of tents, was that you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I think we floated right by your camp on the 12th, three guys in two blue rafts. We floated right through about 200 caribou as they crossed the river and ran through a couple of tents, was that you guys?
    I saw your group while flying in on the 12th. Jim put us on the gravel bar where he dropped you guys off the previous day or two, I think....? Were you the group that had 20 or so caribou crossing just down river as the plane flew over? Hope you had a great time, we sure did.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I saw your group while flying in on the 12th. Jim put us on the gravel bar where he dropped you guys off the previous day or two, I think....? Were you the group that had 20 or so caribou crossing just down river as the plane flew over? Hope you had a great time, we sure did.

Jeff
    Yeah, that was probably us. We got dropped off at that gravel bar on the 8th and spent a couple of days hunting that general area before starting our float. The camp that almost got trampeled by a herd of caribou was the first sign we saw of other people in 4 days, after that we didn't see another camp until about 10 miles down the Noatak. Yeah, we had a awesome trip, glad you did too!!

Yes that was us! I was trying to get down to the river to BS with you guys (You had moose and caribou on your rafts?) but you had floated past. Yes the plane came in for a meat pickup. Glad you had success!

Quote Originally Posted by lvfire View Post
    Yes that was us! I was trying to get down to the river to BS with you guys (You had moose and caribou on your rafts?) but you had floated past. Yes the plane came in for a meat pickup. Glad you had success!
    We were debating on whether or not to stop but we figured that far out in the middle of nowhere we would just float on by and let you guys have your peace & quiet!! I think I have a picture of those caribou running through your camp, when I get to my home computer I'll see if I can send it to ya!! Congrats on your hunt

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Yeah, that was probably us. We got dropped off at that gravel bar on the 8th and spent a couple of days hunting that general area before starting our float. The camp that almost got trampeled by a herd of caribou was the first sign we saw of other people in 4 days, after that we didn't see another camp until about 10 miles down the Noatak. Yeah, we had a awesome trip, glad you did too!!
    John, our pilot, mentioned he flushed four brown bears out of the willows while dropping you folks off on the gravel bar. Tons of bear sign around but we didn't have any problems with them. From the blood on the rocks at your drop site, looks like you had some success right off the bat We glassed the river bottom hard all week for moose but no luck, but the caribou more than made up for it. Glad you had a great trip. Awesome country, can't wait to go back.

Jeff

Good News!!

It Froze last night, and looks like cool temps are here Ya Hoooooooo!!!

Gonna be some Bulls a Movin'~~~~

Better load that .22 and gas the boat.......

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Good News!!

It Froze last night, and looks like cool temps are here Ya Hoooooooo!!!

Gonna be some Bulls a Movin'~~~~

Better load that .22 and gas the boat.......
    Dont forget to put batteries in your camera!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast